Too early to talk Ice Fishing??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Too early to talk Ice Fishing??

Post by Mav »

Hi guys,

Seeing as the nice weather is holding out, seems strange. but I still am getting pretty excited about the ice fishing season approaching!

As I am fairly new to the ice fishing scene here in Ottawa, I would like to learn from some of you who have been ice fishing the Ottawa area for many years.

I fished Cumberland area 3 years ago - loads of small walleye/sauger and one night actually had 20+ mud puppies. Never seemed to catch anything sizeable...Moved up to Marina D'aylmer two years ago and fishing seems to be slower, but bigger fish - all pike and walleye.

For me, 1st and foremost is always safety: In cumberland I fished on 16ft of ice, then the following year, the exact same spot I fished stayed as a gaping open water hole all season!! Marina D'aylmer was 2 feet thick in 2015, 16" in 2016 (Warmer season), seemed pretty safe until I was told in 2014 there was a huge open water crevice that developed right outside the marina mid-season...

I'm wondering what suggestions you have for some areas with good safe ice to fish on that I can catch some walleye are? Not expecting your hot fishing spots, just general areas. I bring my family out when I go, so I don't want to take any chances...I'd like to put a shack out on the ice as well, other than oziles on Petrie are there any other services in the area that will pull your shack out for you?

Also, TONS of shacks in baitshop bay at petrie, seems most people are catching just pike...I'd like a shot at some Walleye that I could potentially eat. Any ideas or suggestions??

Thanks so much in advance!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Too early to talk Ice Fishing??

Post by smitty55 »

Welcome to the site Mav. Shirleys Bay should suit your needs fine. Nice stable and early ice if you stay inside the bay out of the current areas, which are usually about 4-6" behind the inner bay. Do a search and you'll find lots of info as most years there's a dedicated thread.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Awesome, Thanks so much Smitty!! Wondering if anyone fishes the Quebec side near Aylmer and if there's any safe spots over there suitable?
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

LOL i was also going to post about ice fishing but figured it was too early... I guess not!

I was fishing yesterday near dunrobin shores on the ontario side and asked about ice fishing that area. I was told that there are "quite a few" huts that setup on the Quebec side in the brekenridge bay and that they catch good walleye. That's pretty close to what you are looking for i think.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Welcome to FH! And never to early to start planning for ice fishing!

Couple of things. I take it you're mobile? try some lakes instead of the rivers. Less current, so thicker ice can form faster, and what's there will degrade less quickly. Plus you can maybe get to places that are less fished out than Petrie and SB.

This Miss can be good for Eyes, and also for lots of pannies.

With that said, I personally love Petrie and usually have a lot of luck with Sauger on there. Not a lot a lot of size, but once in a while you get one that gives you a surprise. And also up the Ottawa by Rockland you can have success, and find Mooneye there, which are cool little fish too.

Also, invest in a fish finder. I am sure some guys on here can point you in the direction of how to jimmy one on your own from gear you might(?) already have, or keep an eye out for a flasher for sale. Now is about the time of year that guys sell off their last years model to upgrade or change brands, so it's a good time to start looking.

Fishing with a flasher makes things much easier, and it adds fun to your searches as well.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Welcome to FH. Some great suggestions so far!

RJ
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Great suggestions...I'm so happy to find people excited about the hard-water season approaching!! I never actually had heard of Breckenridge. Seems like a nice bay and it would be out of the current. I'm definitely going to go check it out!

Oneeleven mentioned having success at Petrie for sauger...I have a modular shack I like to set up permanent if possible. Once I'm setup, I prefer not to move spots too much. A lot of people I've spoken to say that baitshop bay is basically pike only, and walleye if you're lucky. Have you been fishing the dropoff, walleye bay or baitshop bay? I fished walleye bay twice last year and got skunked both times, and I was out in the 2:00pm to 6:30pm range...

On the other hand Aylmer marina has been decent, it's hit and miss but can produce on a good day...I'm just not sure of the consistency of the ice there...?
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

I don't ice fish the Ottawa but when walking out to new spots or early ice it's always a great idea to have floatsuit or even a life jacket, spud & picks. Another great tool is the Navoinics App for phone on my IPhone it works even when in airplane mode which means no data required. A flasher is great investment.
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

Mav,,,,luskvile area in the bay in hurly season is usely ok. And few place down town right accross rideau falls,,,,,gatineau boom area and the bay beside .qc side not that far frome aylmer,,,or right beside the dock in hull marina,,,if not sure people sit on dock and drill hole beside the docks..

Less then 3 months we will be on ice

Iceice baby,,,,, 8) :lol:

Joco
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

ACCCCHHHHH......ICE!! .....DAS NICE!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Thanks so much for the suggestions Joco, some great spots I hadn't thought about!! And the Navionics app looks great, never thought about an application for ice fishing, but you're absolutely right...great investment!
snapper
Participant
Participant

Post by snapper »

Just passing this along, the new (in fisherman) 2017 ice fishing guide is on the news stands now.
Cheers VVV