Marking Lures

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Marking Lures

Post by scarkner »

When you buy a new lure it often has information about how deep it is designed to run. Sadly, most lures don't have this information printed on the lure, or it is so faint that my old eyes can hardly read it (especially when I am going through a couple dozen in the back of a rocking boat).

I have been using a permanent marker for years to write the depth. Sometimes I even use different colors that match the lure so I don't break up the lines too much.

This solution works very well and for most lures it is a perfect option.

But some lures have such a shiny surface that the ink doesn't stick well or they are so colorful (example is a scaled and mirrored surface) that you can't see the ink. I really don't want to sand-off an area just to write on it.

I was curious if anyone else marks their lures for depth? How do you keep track of what a lure is meant to do after you throw away the packaging?

Sadly "organizing" my lures in the box by depth isn't going to work... Kids. 'nuff said.

grey ninja
Participant
Participant

Re: Marking Lures

Post by grey ninja »

I don't know how high tech you are but Precision trolling has an app you can load on your smart phone or tablet. It shows a picture of the lure as well as dive curve info, speeds etc.
Its really handy and not expensive.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Just a quick thought Steve. For those hard to mark lures you could use a dab of nail polish and set up a code of different colours for different diving depths. I'm pretty sure that would stick well.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

What about scratching a tally-like numbering system into lures? (Only because straight lines are easier to scratch than the number 6, for example).
Plus scratches can be very fine and not change the appearance of the lure like coloured marker or dots could.

3 = 3-5' = |||
8 = 8-10' = -|||
15 = 15' = - - -

etc...
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

curls wrote:What about scratching a tally-like numbering system into lures? (Only because straight lines are easier to scratch than the number 6, for example).
Plus scratches can be very fine and not change the appearance of the lure like coloured marker or dots could.

3 = 3-5' = |||
8 = 8-10' = -|||
15 = 15' = - - -

etc...
LOL - I am such a nerd, love this idea, but I would do:

--|| is 3'
|--- is 8'
|||| is 15'

Binary is great! Has the added advantage of confusing the heck out of anyone I fish with...
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

scarkner wrote:
curls wrote:What about scratching a tally-like numbering system into lures? (Only because straight lines are easier to scratch than the number 6, for example).

3 = 3-5' = |||
8 = 8-10' = -|||
15 = 15' = - - -

etc...
LOL - I am such a nerd, love this idea, but I would do:

--|| is 3'
|--- is 8'
|||| is 15'

Binary is great! Has the added advantage of confusing the heck out of anyone I fish with...
LOL that's hilarious!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Nerdyness works it's way into the hobbies! LOL!!
MichaelGA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MichaelGA »

great idea -

I've used nail polish / enamel paint on the hook hanger or line tie for depths in the past - now I just use separate boxes for size/depth.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

I personally would not scratch into the finish on my plugs but would use nail polish or model paint if that is how you want to mark a depth. I have all my plug boxes with the plugs separated according to the depth they run