Cabelas... Whatchya Think?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Cabelas... Whatchya Think?

Post by Moosebunk »

Couple days away now from the opening of Ottawa's Cabelas store out in the west end. Have never been to one and looking forward to it. Some I've talked to over time, who have visited the Toronto store have various opinions, so it'll be good to make up my own mind this week. LeBarons and Cabelas were two stores during days living up north that I would often order from. Never any issues with deliveries from either, and it was hard to find better prices. The two now in the same city and with SAIL as well, it will just make for better choices overall and, it'll be nice for us westenders to not have to travel into or across Ottawa.

If ya make it in there anytime soon, post up whatchya think about the place. It'll be interesting to hear some first impressions. 8)

Bunk.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Re: Cabelas... Whatchya Think?

Post by qcconnection »

I`ll let you know what I think tomorrow afternoon...

Myself and from what I can tell, almost anyone who ever ordered anything from Cabela`s got a ``VIP`` invite to go the day before the grand opening and receive a 20 percent discount on Cabela`s brand stuff. Also, worth noting, I`ve heard that people involved in the build and set up and what not, got a separate VIP invite for tonight.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

I have an invite for tomorrow but am going to wait for a little while to let the crowds clear out. Have been to a lot of them down all over the US and the Main one and they all are a great store and all a little different in some ways.
iankrzyzanowski
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by iankrzyzanowski »

Went this evening with Tony. Overall impression was that it was a let down. Clothing options were meh. A few baits intrugued me but overall selection was poor. Maybe it's a good option for the hunters but for me I can't see myself making the drive out to kanata again anytime soon.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Remembering what I had done with SAIL... had picked 15 rando things which were either needed or recently purchased. Priced them at SAIL and LeB's to find 12 out of 15 were more expensive at SAIL. (CTC's around here are the most ridiculous $$$) Do shop both LeB's and SAIL, but historically would guess little has changed price wise today between the two, although LeB's has surprised me a few times now on things they were once cheaper for. Needing several things now, will look over the selection and costs come Thursday. One thing that is for sure, for west end I'd imagine they'll generally have much the same for fishing items in some degree to that of other big stores further into, or across the city. I do shop, but rarely shop the smaller stores around here.
tacklebox
Participant
Participant

Post by tacklebox »

Went with a friend after work ,there were a few sale items in the fishing dept. bought a few muskie lures the ones from Fox $ 4.99 @ will see what happens .Clothing very pricey not as good a lure display as Sail I felt over all it rated a B+ .Sail ,Lebarons and Stittsville range still the best for my money.. 8) tacklebox
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by plowjock »

Was in the store tuesday afternoon. NOT IMPRESSED. Staff not very knowledgeable in fishing dept. Fishing dept. very poorly laid out. Theft was rampant.
Very narrow aisles for these huge grocery shopping carts. As I told the cashier, I've made my 2 trips to Cabelas, my first and my Last. Heard of many problems in gun shop area, crowds, poor service, stock not in. While waiting noticed 3 UPS trucks making deliveries, kinda figure you'd have all your stock in by now.
Cabelas flag would not stay up at top of flag pole, noticed it slowly fell down the pole 2 times just prior to opening at 3:00pm
Don't think any of the other tackle shops have much to worry about, this will be first box store fishing shop to go under.
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

NOT IMPRESSED. Staff not very knowledgeable in fishing dept
Are you surprised? It's the same no matter what industry we're talking here. I used to work for a mom and pop hardware and lumber store when Home Depots starting popping up everywhere. The owner always said, "I may not be able to match them on price, but we'll always provide more knowledgeable and personal service."
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

Only good thing about going last night was the 25% off, saved just north of $80. :D 8)

Other than that, nothing to rave about, if not for the 25% off, no spectacular deals whatsoever. :( :roll:

Only REAL benefit for me is that it's less than 10 minutes from home/work (might not be a benefit
to my net worth!! :shock: :mrgreen: ) so I don't have to cross the city to pick something up. :wink: 8)

Not overly impressive, but neither is Sail or LeBaron's. :roll: :| I'll be back!! :D :o :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
And Brian, I certainly can't see LeBaron's, Sail, or any other local shop putting these guys under, just sayin'!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

I haven't been there yet but I am really not surprised at the comments so far. With every new fishing/hunting store our area gets, we have the same views.

I may go check it out on the weekend if I have nothing to do but don't feel it will be the only store for me and don't have high expectations at all.

My local spot is able to provide me with about 90% of the stuff I want/use. The rest is ordered online and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
mb_fishing
Participant
Participant

Post by mb_fishing »

My first impression is it could easily have been 25000 sq/ft larger to expand the fishing section. I felt a bit cramped especially with all the people. I spent just a little over 2 hours there and only got to the fishing and clothing sections. They certainly have merchandise others do not. Their outdoor cooking area is neat and different. Lots to choose from...smokers etc. They also have a ton of meat prep stuff for hunters...hell...you can buy the stuff to make your own beef jerky!!

I found the the fishing section at SAIL is more impressive. When you walk upstairs and see the wall of lures it is hard to beat. Cabela's merchandise is all in aisles which diminishes the "wow" factor.

Clearly they cater to hunting more. The camo section was extensive and although I am not a hunter it looks like they have covered this well.

As for UPS trucks, remember that you can order your stuff online and get it sent to the store. I suspect this will be alot more revenue being brought in...and a large part of their business. In this day and age...especially in a smaller market like Ottawa it just does not make $$ sense to stock everything under the sun.

Remember that there will be growing pains so I wouldn't judge too harshly. Let's see what things are like once the dust settles.

Competition is good for our pocket book!!
Super
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Super »

I thought it was great last night.
Lots of people but not too crowded.
Spent an hour and a half there and had to leave because it was close to closing time.
I do not always go to this type of store to buy everything all the time, I just enjoy walking around seeing all the great stuff.
I did spend almost $10.00 last night and got 25 % off what I bought.
I will be back because I like to check out everything in this store and I ran into several friends I had not seen in a while.
They need a Tim Hortons on one side of the store so we can sit and brag.
Great addition to the West End.
David
ELLIS
Participant
Participant

Post by ELLIS »

Went to the VIP reopening this morning. The paved parking was full. When I got there folks were parking in the muddy fields around the store. Even with all those cars the store was still not packed.

I went for Cabelas brand pants and but I bought none as they did not have my size. I then looked for winter gloves but they only had work gloves and camp gloves. I was told that this store won’t be getting more stock until the spring but I could order online. Not interested as I want to try them on before I buy.

The fishing bait selection was poor. I expected more. Better off at Sail or LBs.

I am not a hunter, maybe if I was I might have found something I had to have.

Over all, I am very disappointed. I asked several staff members where items I was interested in might be located but they were not sure. Not impressed.

Might go back in the spring.
mb_fishing
Participant
Participant

Post by mb_fishing »

Forgot to mention that I suspect timing of the stock is based on season. The opening coincides with the hunting season and towards the end of fishing so stock will be more heavily weighted towards the fall/hunting. (Sorry...I don't ice fish so I'm biased on equipment.)

Looking forward to the spring to see things flip the other way!
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Plowjock said this:

"Theft was rampant"

Is this a real problem in Ottawa? Seems every time I go to LeBarons or Sail I feel someone is lurking around watching. It gets damn annoying. Never have this problem in the states or Toronto stores.