Cabelas... Whatchya Think?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Ontbullet
Participant
Participant

Re: Cabelas... Whatchya Think?

Post by Ontbullet »

That's too bad about Lebarons.

I stopped in this summer and it did look bare. Thought maybe the seasonal change over was taking place but perhaps not.
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

curls wrote:I went yesterday.
It's a nice store, but still a store.
I agree with curls' post.
My dad and I went last night, he bought a new shotgun and a few other little things. The 3 guys we talked with at the gun counter were awesome and definately knew what they were talking about. the main guy he was dealing with is a tactical officer with ottawa police for 30 years.
I didn't buy anything, not for any reason other than there's not much I want or need these days.
The store reminds me a lot of the bass pro in niagra falls.
stopper35
Participant
Participant

Post by stopper35 »

So the big VIP event yesterday offered 20% of Cabelas branded products. Not bad. This morning I got an e-mail notification that they're having a sale...20% of all Cabelas branded products in-store and on-line. Ok, so the VIP thing was not so special afterall. :?

But, going to the website there is some fine print. "*not valid in store in Ottawa". Well to quote Maggie from Caddyshack...Tanks fer nuttin'! :D

At least the 20% seems to be valid on-line and no crowds to fight. Hope everyone enjoys opening day!
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

In this morning with the crowd. No foot massage but a little beef jerky goes further with me.

It was as expected and overall I'm pleased enough with that. Met a few local folks to chat with while there and picked up some PDeez from Paul himself.

Looking at things as a multispecies angler and breaking down the fishing department....

Rods - not overly impressed. Didn't really look at prices much here but unless you're into Cabelas brand much of anything else was lacking.
Reels - great selection overall I thought.
Electronics - similar to anywhere really.
Lures - kinda weaker for trout and bass I think, but solid for walleye. Salmon and steelheaders will be disappointed. Muskie selection purdy good, pannie stuff OK too. There were some new and interesting options I took note of but man, some stuff quite pricey. Some deals to be had too though.
Terminal tackle - kinda like their options as prices on this kind of thing seems to have skyrocketed over recent years.
Boating/rigging - a definite plus to anything we have around here.
Fly fishing - I liked it.
Clothing - well, I didn't look but Bren had a couple things in mind for herself and was rather disappointed.
Service - The opening had a few of the big name Prostaffers around and actually some (two) very knowledgeable staff which I eavesdropped on. This likely took a little pressure off the newbies learning the ropes. In the span of 1 1/2 hours I was asked twice if I could be helped, but one fella recognized me I guess and laughed that maybe I could help him with his fishing instead. The crowd was fine too. No pushing and shoving, nothing silly noticed. The parking lot was full of people excited to check out the new Cabelas. No issues with rednecks or just folks North of 7 like me.
Store - a beauty really. Imagined this place in a few months on an off midweek evening with normal numbers of shoppers around and guessed it would be great. Aisles busy now but wait ti'll then and all would be fine. Will look forward to going back to peruse things again. Check out other departments and pick up a few things I know are new to this area.

For once in maybe 5 or 6 years I would even agree with RJ on something. I too think it's a great addition to our area and a quality retailer that can only provide more to hunting and fishing overall. 8-)

Cabelas gets my thumbs up. And if LeBaron is slated to close, then it's the closest with the mostest for a number of west enders.
Grey_Thunder
Participant
Participant

Post by Grey_Thunder »

Its a bit of "Cabelas-Light", as compared to the US stores (I've been to a few). However, I found the lure selection to be pretty diverse and have niche things that I couldn't find easily at Sail or Le Baron (such as 3/4 oz tube jig heads). Staff that I spoke to was knowledgeable and always a huge bonus having Big Jim there !

Will it replace Sail completely - no. However, its definitely a positive addition to the west end! Thumbs up :D
topten14
Participant
Participant

Post by topten14 »

"You must lose a fly to catch a trout"
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Went Tuesday. Starting in the fishing dept and was looking for a jerkbait. After being asked how I was doing many times by staff, seeing if I needed help, I finally said 'yes' so they weren't bored! I told him I was looking for a jerkbait. He brought me to the lipless cranks and said "all our lipless jerkbaits are right here".... I said 'thank you' and carried on.

My buddy was interested in one of the Hummingbirds and he asked the salesperson "Do you think the Navionics chip is a must" after a brief explanation of the type of fishing he did. She responded that she knew that, this particular unit looked under the boat... (In the end Paul Shibata got my buddy to buy a Lowrance anyways.. Thanks for the help Paul.. and love your 'bass in the car' analogy for chirp technology!

I bought only Cabela's branded stuff. All items I was expecting to buy, since the discount was nice on them, it was a bonus.

As RJ said, this is def a hunting store first and foremost. And it's gorgeous! As far as the stock goes? I can't really comment as I don't hunt. But it's pretty and fun, with lots of things to look at.

I will say I'm *extremely* disappointed with the womens clothing. There was next to none of the outdoor wear that is online. I am really hoping it's seasonal and that they will bring in more as time goes on. But Cabela's is one of the few companies that makes outdoor fishing clothing for a woman's body. (not just a small mens). I was really excited to have this as an option.

The store is an experience. Don't think it will go under any time soon (sorry Plowjock! :p) It's a fun place to spend a rainy day. Lots for the kids to look at too. And the treats and fudge are to die for. I'm really happy it's here! 8)

And PS: super crappy to hear about Lebarrons. Considering I shop mostly at Sail or Ed's I didn't get there too often, but I have a few times and liked their prices. And their staff were always nice.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'll be there tomorrow from about 1 til close for Shimano in the Fishing Dept. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the rampant theft.. :lol: :lol:

Swing by and help me... :lol:

RJ
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

RJ wrote:I'll be there tomorrow from about 1 til close for Shimano in the Fishing Dept. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the rampant theft.. :lol: :lol:

Swing by and help me... :lol:

RJ
You'd be shocked how much of a problem it actually is, when I was at sail we were always getting hounded by management to keep on top of people and not to let them get out of sight. Sonars, lures, clothing you name it people tried to steal it, unbelievable the lengths people will go to steal things. I'm surprised a lot of these places don't have loss prevention services.
Last edited by BradGuenette on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

I think give the store a little time to figure out what the local market is looking for and it will adjust to cover everyone's needs. Staff will be on learning curve until adjusted to their work environment. Best part of all now everyone can say they have been to a Cabela's. :D
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

It's all fine and good......but do they sell MINNOWS???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

You'd be shocked how much of a problem it actually is, when I was at sail we were always getting hounded by management to keep on top of people and not to let them get out of sight. Sonars, lures, clothing you name it people tried to steal it, unbelievable the lengths people will go to steal things. I'm surprised a lot of these places don't have loss prevention services.
I remember being at Sail once with a buddy whom I lost track of. I started walking around looking for him, next thing I knew I was being followed & overheard salesperson say to watch me. At first I was pee pee to the point of being ready to punch somebody. Then I decided to have fun with it & act suspicious, after awhile of having fun I put all my stuff back & left the store. Sail can shove it!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

riverdog wrote:
I remember being at Sail once with a buddy whom I lost track of. I started walking around looking for him, next thing I knew I was being followed & overheard salesperson say to watch me. At first I was pee pee to the point of being ready to punch somebody. Then I decided to have fun with it & act suspicious, after awhile of having fun I put all my stuff back & left the store. Sail can shove it!
I would have done the same thing!
The very few times I went to Sail, I immediately had someone up my arse, following my every step, doing the car lot salesman pitch. It's not a good business practice.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

was thinking of going to the open, but as a friend said, it would be nuts for the first few weeks. Looking forward to a trip up
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Gord wrote:It's all fine and good......but do they sell MINNOWS???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

:mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

I wish!! And they'd make a killing there too. Ever since a certain shop closed up, it's been lacking minnows in that part of town...