Cabelas... Whatchya Think?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Cabelas... Whatchya Think?

Post by Peron »

Cabelas, Sail, Bass-Pro... In the end I think the future us written. More and more, retail stores are places to try things on, see what things look and feel like and then the customer goes home and purchases the chosen product online at a cheaper price.

Obviously there are a lot of hunting products and fishing staples that will need retail stores but for how long? The big chains closed the mom and pops and even the small chains are not able to survive.

In the end to quote a silly movie "There can only be one!" I'll bet it's name will be Walmart! For your dining pleasure (horrible Stallone - Judge Dredd reference). Taco-Bell

:lol:

Rod
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

I’m not sure what you guys expect from Cabela’s.
In regards to fishing, some of you fish casually, some are weekend warriors, and then there’s the niche crowd with weird tackle fetishes.

The casual anglers will be more than happy with the selection, to an extent, so will the weekend warriors.
I for one have those weird tackle fetishes, I don’t expect to buy anything from Cabela’s.
That being said, I had no expectations whatsoever.

As far as the staff, some of you probably know more when it comes to fishing/hunting, or anything pertinently subjective….and honestly, who cares!
Some of them are most likely students trying to pay off bills, or fathers/mothers trying to support their family.

It’s just a store folks!
Enjoy it for what it is, apparently the mounts are awesome, then again, so are the ones at the Museum of Nature.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
alexb
Participant
Participant

Post by alexb »

I drove from Orleans to Cabela’s last Friday around 10:00 A.M.(about a 35 to 45 minute drive) to check out what it had to offer and yes Cabela’s is big time hunting focused. I was pleasantly greeted by staff with a “Good morning” and “Can I help you” and no one followed me. Overall the fishing department had a descent selection of rods, reels, lures and fishing apparel. Will I go back again YES and bring my grandkids.
There are those who Fish and those who just DISTURB THE WATER
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

Did not have time to go yet, was kinda busy fishing this weekend...lol. Will maybe go for a quick run tonight.
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jjcanoe »

Oneeleven wrote:
jjcanoe wrote:Been to the Barrie store a few times, if the Ottawa store follows the Barrie model, the fishing dept will not get any bigger or better. This is NOT one of their US super stores. Fishing always will take a backseat to hunting at Cabelas. They were founded on a hunting platform.
Cabelas =Hunting store with a fishing dept.
Bass pro =Fishing store with a hunting dept
Sail = Clothing/camping store with fishing/hunting up in the attic
LeBaron = little bit of everything, all fairly equal (not a really fair comparison to the big box guys due to square footage)
These are just my impressions of the Canadian outlets of each place that I've shopped at (at least 2 of each place)

Great analogies!

'Cept:

Lebarrons: Closed :(

And
Paddletales: Fishing with a fishing section
8)
Sadly LeBaron will be closing, I've not made it to the Ottawa store yet although I'm in the area a fair bit (kinda hard to park a truck and 53' trailer there) Used to curse their prices at the Toronto stores, until Bass Pro opened, that got them into line since they now had a competitor.
Made it into Paddletales once, I go to Winchester quite a bit but always seems to be on a Monday :( great prices and service. Every time I hit up a local store I try to walk out with something weather I need it or not.... you can never have enough terminal tackle!
2015 Crestliner Vision 1700
115 Mercury 4 stroke
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
laker taker
Participant
Participant

Post by laker taker »

My wife and I went to Cabelas yesterday and was glad we waited. We did not go to the VIP opening because we thought it would be a real zoo there which some of the employees verified. Very pleased with the new store, staff very friendly and helpful. Any questions we had that could not be answered right away were looked after in a timely manner. I don't think anyone can ask for anymore than that. Some items we were looking for were not in stock but it is a brand new store and I think that is to be expected.
All in all we liked the store and will be back. For the people with the negative reports I don't know what you expect so its better if you just stay at home. More room in store for me and I don't have to listen to some idiot complaining about nothing.
Very Impressed, Laker :D :D
Cyber
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Cyber »

laker taker wrote:For the people with the negative reports I don't know what you expect so its better if you just stay at home. More room in store for me and I don't have to listen to some idiot complaining about nothing.
Very Impressed, Laker :D :D
X2!!
:D :D
If you don't stand for something,
you'll fall for anything!!
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

[quote="RJ]

I was there last night. Beautiful store, very hunting centric but I expected that as that is their
I'm not sure what folks really expect? Senkos for 5 bucks? Megabass Jerkbaits for 10 bucks? A foot massage at the door? :lol:

RJ[/quote]

So we are positive no foot massage or Pedicure stations were in or nearby. I gotta convince Mamma that there is more than just outdoors stuff!!!
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

No convincing needed. They have sweater and Warwick wooden candles. The wife spent about 20 minutes in the back corner where the cash registers are looking at all of the nick backs and candles. And I'm sure there are a few places for pedicures nearby if she really needs convincing.
lghwd47
Participant
Participant

Post by lghwd47 »

Was there with a VIP pass night before opening. Not impressed. I'm not a hunter so it is not the store for me. Paddletails and Bennets have better selections. I live in Kemptville and will travel to Winchester way before I go back there.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Went on Saturday.
Nice enough store. Aisle are too narrow. Lots of hunting gear..but Cabelas was always primarily a HUNTING and Fishing store.

Give them some time and they will adjust the stock based on what they sell. If the demand for more fishing tackle is there they will adjust.

Would I go back? probably if they had something I really needed. More likely to do an catalogue order and pick up
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

Maybe they'll get a more vast selection of fishing stuff now that Bass Pro bought them out. Hope this doesn't mean any type of job losses for anyone tho~!
topten14
Participant
Participant

Post by topten14 »

Cabelas sold to bass pro shop
"You must lose a fly to catch a trout"
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Took my buddy and uncle there today and was surprised on how small the store was from looking on the outside. Things were laid out nice inside the store and lots of helpful people looking to help you out if needed. Not sure what Bass Pro can do for the store as they will have to double the size to put both stores product in one store but time will tell.
NMG
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by NMG »

I'll bet that Bass Pro looked at this as an opportunity to eliminate a competitor and to acquire a brand that was heavier into hunting, thus diversifying their own corporate portfolio.

I'd wager that not much at all will change with the store. Overall, they are probably better keeping things as they are. Who knows, they may not even change the name of the Cabella's locations. It's not like they need to eliminate the brand when they now own it . . .