Cabelas... Whatchya Think?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Cabelas... Whatchya Think?

Post by Bass Addict »

TheMaverick wrote:
riverdog wrote:
You'd be shocked how much of a problem it actually is, when I was at sail we were always getting hounded by management to keep on top of people and not to let them get out of sight. Sonars, lures, clothing you name it people tried to steal it, unbelievable the lengths people will go to steal things. I'm surprised a lot of these places don't have loss prevention services.
I remember being at Sail once with a buddy whom I lost track of. I started walking around looking for him, next thing I knew I was being followed & overheard salesperson say to watch me. At first I was pee pee to the point of being ready to punch somebody. Then I decided to have fun with it & act suspicious, after awhile of having fun I put all my stuff back & left the store. Sail can shove it!
I would have done the same thing!
The very few times I went to Sail, I immediately had someone up my arse, following my every step, doing the car lot salesman pitch. It's not a good business practice.
There is one VERY,VERY ANNOYING WANNABE MALL COP who works there and will follow you around like a lost puppy dog !! :roll: :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Olivier Livernoche
Participant
Participant

Post by Olivier Livernoche »

ganman wrote:Plowjock said this:

"Theft was rampant"

Is this a real problem in Ottawa? Seems every time I go to LeBarons or Sail I feel someone is lurking around watching. It gets damn annoying. Never have this problem in the states or Toronto stores.
Totally agree. I like to browse without being harassed by staff even though they are doing their jobs.
clint
Participant
Participant

Post by clint »

Gord wrote:It's all fine and good......but do they sell MINNOWS???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

The flyer says they will have fresh local live bait.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

clint wrote:
Gord wrote:It's all fine and good......but do they sell MINNOWS???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

The flyer says they will have fresh local live bait.
OUTSTANDING!!! :D :D :D
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

Just back frome there.

Great looking store.

Like some said. Sail might have more fishing stuff!

For hunters its THEE place to go i think.

Was nice to see hunters and there dogs outside practicing with decoys etc,,,some were very good cool to see.!!

The store itself is very cool.,,,the best looking around for sure.

I will be back. For sure. But i like an all around store, Sail is better for that,,for clothing,,,camping and paddling stuff. But hunter. Cabelas as it, So nice to see both store still have there little niche,,so everyone is happy. And keep there customers.

And lets not forget le baron,,,they still have good fishing selection and small moms and pop stores,..to have keep open by us...they will keep going.

And it depend where you frome,,,i am frome qc side so a bit far,,,,and i am more a fisherman and paddlers,,so sail will be my first choice. For those 3 reasons.

But as a store,,atmosphere...etc. Cabelas won hands down. Love those siting area! Need more and bigger ones,,,,,should have a bar upstair,,,,,with tv and screen. Place to chat and do fishing meething etc. That would be cool

I AM HAPPY there is a cabelas here.

And yes a coffe shop or a place to talk fishing etc could be nice.... :evil:

And saw a kayak i want to get to my fleet 8-) ..

Joco.
Last edited by joco on Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

[quote="Bass Addict"][quote="TheMaverick"][quote="riverdog"][quote]You'd be shocked how much of a problem it actually is, when I was at sail we were always getting hounded by management to keep on top of people and not to let them get out of sight. Sonars, lures, clothing you name it people tried to steal it, unbelievable the lengths people will go to steal things. I'm surprised a lot of these places don't have loss prevention services.[/quote]

I remember being at Sail once with a buddy whom I lost track of. I started walking around looking for him, next thing I knew I was being followed & overheard salesperson say to watch me. At first I was pee pee to the point of being ready to punch somebody. Then I decided to have fun with it & act suspicious, after awhile of having fun I put all my stuff back & left the store. Sail can shove it![/quote]

I would have done the same thing!
The very few times I went to Sail, I immediately had someone up my arse, following my every step, doing the car lot salesman pitch. It's not a good business practice.[/quote]

There is one VERY,VERY ANNOYING WANNABE MALL COP who works there and will follow you around like a lost puppy dog !! :roll: :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming:[/quote]

I am in Sail regularly. I've never been followed or had someone harassing me. Maybe you fellas look suspicious? :shock: :D
67ZL1
Participant
Participant

Post by 67ZL1 »

One nice thing about Cabela'sis that they hold seminars on weekends fairly often, wether you're a hunter for fisherman. Also their Guidewear clothing is top notch, expensive yes but wait till it comes on sale. Lots of times it goes on sale for 50-60% off.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Well, headed to Cabelas since I was in town anyway and I blown away by the store itslef. Bought some hoodies for the family and looked at the mounts and just took as much in as I could with two kids in tow.

Prices of the items I looked at seemed to be inline to slightly more than other stores and the conversations I overheard from employees made it seem like they were somewhat knowledgable.

I'll still be shopping at my local stores but ill definitely go back again just to check it out if I'm ever in the area.
jjcanoe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jjcanoe »

Been to the Barrie store a few times, if the Ottawa store follows the Barrie model, the fishing dept will not get any bigger or better. This is NOT one of their US super stores. Fishing always will take a backseat to hunting at Cabelas. They were founded on a hunting platform.
Cabelas =Hunting store with a fishing dept.
Bass pro =Fishing store with a hunting dept
Sail = Clothing/camping store with fishing/hunting up in the attic
LeBaron = little bit of everything, all fairly equal (not a really fair comparison to the big box guys due to square footage)
These are just my impressions of the Canadian outlets of each place that I've shopped at (at least 2 of each place)
2015 Crestliner Vision 1700
115 Mercury 4 stroke
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

jjcanoe wrote:Been to the Barrie store a few times, if the Ottawa store follows the Barrie model, the fishing dept will not get any bigger or better. This is NOT one of their US super stores. Fishing always will take a backseat to hunting at Cabelas. They were founded on a hunting platform.
Cabelas =Hunting store with a fishing dept.
Bass pro =Fishing store with a hunting dept
Sail = Clothing/camping store with fishing/hunting up in the attic
LeBaron = little bit of everything, all fairly equal (not a really fair comparison to the big box guys due to square footage)
These are just my impressions of the Canadian outlets of each place that I've shopped at (at least 2 of each place)

Great analogies!

'Cept:

Lebarrons: Closed :(

And
Paddletales: Fishing with a fishing section
8)
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

LOL - Sorta...

I decided to try Cabela's AGAIN - yes this would be my THIRD trip to the store.

I called ahead and confirmed that they had two different types of floating goose decoys in stock, either type was OK for my needs. They had 4 boxes of one and 3 boxes of the other.

So I drove to Cabelas.

I think the picture below speaks volumes about how things went...

smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow Steve, that is really sad. I really hope you voiced your frustrations rather strongly to the senior staff after getting unacceptable service like that. Specially after phoning ahead to confirm stock, or did they just check a database when you phoned. So what did the clerk at the store say?

On that note, does Cabelas have any feedback process visible at the new store? IMO management should want feedback so they can correct any issues.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

I totally agree with everybody as well. I like the store don't get me wrong and it's a very nice addition to ottawa but let's just hope bass pro decided to come to ottawa again.. I'm a big fisherman and I agree with what was said that cabelas is more hunting and less fishing and bass pro is the opposite.. for my first time in a cabelas I liked the store but wasent what I imagined it to be.. but all around great looking store and alot of goodies:) but our me ill say bring on bass pro! :)
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

scarkner wrote:LOL - Sorta...

I decided to try Cabela's AGAIN - yes this would be my THIRD trip to the store.

I called ahead and confirmed that they had two different types of floating goose decoys in stock, either type was OK for my needs. They had 4 boxes of one and 3 boxes of the other.

So I drove to Cabelas.

I think the picture below speaks volumes about how things went...

When this situation occurred with LeBaron, there were pages of people ranting of how bad the service was and that they would never shop there again.

Now when it happens at Cabelas, it's "lets hope the they fix it..."
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

smitty55 wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow Steve, that is really sad. I really hope you voiced your frustrations rather strongly to the senior staff after getting unacceptable service like that. Specially after phoning ahead to confirm stock, or did they just check a database when you phoned. So what did the clerk at the store say?

On that note, does Cabelas have any feedback process visible at the new store? IMO management should want feedback so they can correct any issues.

Cheers
There's no way to directly contact the store, but i do have a contract at the head office and let them know.

If i do get a direct Ottawa email i will post it here...