if its true..

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: if its true..

Post by Maple »

Similar to what happened to Laurentian Trading Post in the past. Sucks, but it happens.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Maple wrote:Similar to what happened to Laurentian Trading Post in the past. Sucks, but it happens.

NO. LTP's accountant stole from the owners to the point they could not operate.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

They did have some lures that I could not find anywhere locally but there. For small dollar fishing supplies they were OK.
For larger spend items such as hunting clothing, guns / optics, they fell off my radar years ago due to limited stock and poor attitude.
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

ditto... service was always an issue... I tried to order a Pigeon Grade Citoria a few years ago.. they want me to pay for the call to Montreal to see if they had stock... I was standing at the counter cash in hand... wierd.. now to be fair I am of questionable character:)
IgglesD
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by IgglesD »

I'm a little surprised at the positivity being shown towards LB, I must have had very bad luck. Their absence of any kind of Inventory Management system always drove me nuts, they sold the items, but, could not tell you where they were, or if any were coming in, or when they were coming in.

Customer service was great at the counter, good people doing their job, but when it came time to do anything but reach under the glass counter it was almost always a fail, from not shipping from another store to not even calling to check out stock for you. Hard to stay local, when with a few clicks it's delivered to your door within days.

I loved it as a kid/young lad, but I wrote the store off 8-10 years ago as a dependable outlet.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Twice my spouse has tried to buy Christmas or Birthday gifts for me at LB. Once it was a $600 fish-finder, the other time it was a high-end pair of hunting boots. In both cases she stood around and even waved at staff trying to get their attention... in the end she walked out.
Relic
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Relic »

Staff at the fishing counter had no interest in helping any one out. They were brutal. Website crap.

I once paid in advance for a 1200 dollar TM, so they would ship it in from Montreal. Was called and told it was in, couldn't make it to the store until 2 days later. When I went to pick it up I was informed they had sold it to someone else? WTF.

Other than very cheap stuff like hooks, and lead, I didn't buy much at that place and haven't for years. Frankly with the terrible service at the Ottawa store I am surprised they have been open this long.

The only thing I don't like about this is the 1 or two good employees who know wont have a job. The other ones...well...maybe they will have to work for their pay cheque now
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

scarkner wrote:Twice my spouse has tried to buy Christmas or Birthday gifts for me at LB. Once it was a $600 fish-finder, the other time it was a high-end pair of hunting boots. In both cases she stood around and even waved at staff trying to get their attention... in the end she walked out.
And yet you give Cabelas a pass when you called Cabelas and told you they had the decoys you were looking for.

and there is a picture of the product you got at Sail....
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

CN wrote:
scarkner wrote:Twice my spouse has tried to buy Christmas or Birthday gifts for me at LB. Once it was a $600 fish-finder, the other time it was a high-end pair of hunting boots. In both cases she stood around and even waved at staff trying to get their attention... in the end she walked out.
And yet you give Cabelas a pass when you called Cabelas and told you they had the decoys you were looking for.

Don't make assumptions :-)

I didn't give Cabelas a pass... I drove to the store (my third trip) to pickup the decoys they said were in stock... But again (the third time) no staff could find them! So i gave up.

I actually went to LeBaron's first, they had ONE box of decoys, same exact type as in the picture, but almost 40% more expensive than Sail.

So then I went to sail.

Cabelas will probably improve, but lebarons has been stuck in the same spot (technologically and staff wise) for years.
Last edited by scarkner on Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
jesse.page
Participant
Participant

Post by jesse.page »

Went in today and they were having most items 20% off... and sales of 50% are to come. Sad to see it go, seems like its been around for as long as I can remember!
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

scarkner wrote:
CN wrote:

Don't make assumptions :-)

I didn't give Cabelas a pass... I drove to the store (my third trip) to pickup the decoys they said were in stock... But again (the third time) no staff could find them! So i gave up.

I actually went to LeBaron's first, they had ONE box of decoys, same exact type as in the picture, but almost 40% more expensive than Sail.

So then I went to sail.

Cabelas will probably improve, but lebarons has been stuck in the same spot (technologically and staff wise) for years.
Not making assumptions :)
here is your post from the Cabela's Whatchya Think thread

"]
scarkner wrote:LOL - Sorta...

I decided to try Cabela's AGAIN - yes this would be my THIRD trip to the store.

I called ahead and confirmed that they had two different types of floating goose decoys in stock, either type was OK for my needs. They had 4 boxes of one and 3 boxes of the other.

So I drove to Cabelas.

I think the picture below speaks volumes about how things went...

From what you wrote - three trips to pick up decoys,, and not one word about how bad their service is. Would you have done the same with LeBaron's?

As I said orioginally I feel sorry for the staff and the small suppliers.
alexb
Participant
Participant

Post by alexb »

Sorry to see Le Baron close I always had good service from the staff.
There are those who Fish and those who just DISTURB THE WATER
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

CN wrote:
From what you wrote - three trips to pick up decoys,, and not one word about how bad their service is. Would you have done the same with LeBaron's?

As I said orioginally I feel sorry for the staff and the small suppliers.
LOL - Ah the english language...

When you said I gave them a Pass, I thought you meant "passed over" as in, didn't give them any business and passed by.
As opposed to a Passing mark.

In fact, I did critisize them earlier on page 2...

Definitely a three-strikes rule before I bought my decoys elsewhere.

but this is a bit weird, talking about posts on one thread about another thread. Certainly distracting from the main topic... so getting back to the main topic...

And even with LeBarons, I tried to give them the business too. I actually wanted to ask the staff if they would match Sail's price, but six of them... SIX of them... were standing around talking about a post they saw on Facebook and when I held up my hand one of them held up a finger in the "just a minute" motion.

Hey, if talking about something you saw on facebook is enough to pull nearly half the store staff away from a customer then... um... yeah. Done.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

scarkner wrote:
LOL - Ah the english language...

When you said I gave them a Pass, I thought you meant "passed over" as in, didn't give them any business and passed by.
As opposed to a Passing mark.

In fact, I did critisize them earlier on page 2...

Definitely a three-strikes rule before I bought my decoys elsewhere.

but this is a bit weird, talking about posts on one thread about another thread. Certainly distracting from the main topic... so getting back to the main topic...

And even with LeBarons, I tried to give them the business too. I actually wanted to ask the staff if they would match Sail's price, but six of them... SIX of them... were standing around talking about a post they saw on Facebook and when I held up my hand one of them held up a finger in the "just a minute" motion.

Hey, if talking about something you saw on facebook is enough to pull nearly half the store staff away from a customer then... um... yeah. Done.
Yes I know what you mean about language!.

When I re read what you wrote In wasn't sure if you went to Cabelas 3 times for the same items or it was your 3rd visit but for different things.

As for LeBarons service. I have never had any bad experiences. I never had to wait for them unless they were with a customer. They even found some ice jigs after they put them away at the end of the season.
Fkawee
Participant
Participant

Post by Fkawee »

alexb wrote:Sorry to see Le Baron close I always had good service from the staff.
Ya sad news. I remember when they first opened in BC.
other than lRT and crappy tire, kmart. They had good stuff and prices. Yikes long time ago