Too much smallies?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Too much smallies?

Post by frogin1998 »

Good evening? Been goin out a couple times and the smaller bites are on! Each outing can usually hook onto at ound 6 smallies. They sure are aggressive. However, i kinda want to try targeting other species next weekend to switch it up a little bit. What bites are still on at the current time? Don't tell me Muskies cause I know I ain't gonna hook up one of those beasts. :D
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Too much smallies?

Post by ipjrobson »

As far as I know, around this time of year you can get muskie, pike, smallies and I think catfish are also still on this time of year(not 100%) on that one.

Also, perch usually bite in colder temps too.
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

I was targeting BM bass and got no bite but pike were eating my lures and I lost a few. frogin1998, are you talking about lake or river?
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Post by frogin1998 »

Mostly the stretches of Rideau River
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

I was fishing around Kars section the past Saturday but didn't catch any small mouth bass only pike. I am wondering how deep you were fishing and what Lure were you using? Thanks.
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Post by frogin1998 »

Using a little floating crankbait and bounce it around covers. They usually hit when u get to the rock covers. I fished a lot of spots along the rideau river. They all seem to hold a decent amount of smallies. Also hit up a couple with rapids, the calm pools in the rapids also seem to hold fish.Not an expert, but hope that helps. :D
frogin1998
Participant
Participant

Post by frogin1998 »

ipjrobson wrote:As far as I know, around this time of year you can get muskie, pike, smallies and I think catfish are also still on this time of year(not 100%) on that one.

Also, perch usually bite in colder temps too.
Hey man, thanks for the tip, I'm also a subscriber of you channel haha :D
goudieb
Participant
Participant

Post by goudieb »

Large Mouth were biting this past Saturday (Oct 15th), but needed to wait for the sun to come up and warm up the water a bit. Once the water warmed-up we had a strong bite. Lots of 1.5-2 pound LM bass, even had one caught at 4 lbs 11 oz. The odd pike were hitting as well.

We were fishing a small secret Lanark area lake casting to shore using frogs.

Brian