Sturgeon Fishing in Montreal 2016

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Sturgeon Fishing in Montreal 2016

Post by zippyfx »

Hi All, got 10 stitches in my hand at the beging of the month when the stitches were removed the flap would open up every time I went fishing so I had to take some time off. I got to shake the dust off....

My buddies and I generally have a blast when we go for our annual Sturgeon trip. This time was no different. All of us got nice fish this time out. The largest came in at about 56" and mine a 48". We went 4 for 4. I had a great fight, the smallest one put up the best fight. The fish had me moving all over the boat; Back and forth. Left, right, under. I love it when you work a sturgeon to the boat and he takes one look and says "I'm not ready yet" and peels off all the line you just you just got back. It feels like they got suction cuts on their undersides the way the stick to the bottom. This guy was beat by the time I got him into the net. It was the easiest picture I have had yet with a larger one.

The guide we were with was confounded by how I excited I was to catch my lifer eel.

We caught a couple of Silver Redhorse and the mooneye were out in full force. At one point we were surrounded by large school of them. There was bright full moon and the water column was just full of fish.

Another nice night to be out.
ipjrobson
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Sturgeon Fishing in Montreal 2016

Post by ipjrobson »

Awesome to see some Sturgeon action. I can't say I have ever caught a mooneye. I'll have to try for those one year.
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Sturgeon are a absolute blast!! :D
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Nice Report!

I tied into one while drop shotting for smallmouth on the Ontario side. It isn't a fish I had ever thought of targeting but man do they put up a fight. I may have to venture to the QC side one of these days to target them for a day.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Awesome!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

I second the Awesome! What bait do you use for the sturgeons?

Rod
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Really cool of you posting a couple species we can no longer target here in Ontario.
Drool, great catches !
( We can target redhorse in Ontario but no longer in Quebec ( Copper ) ).

How many dozen worms you need for a session ?

Brent
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

EagleEyesFlash wrote:How many dozen worms you need for a session ?
Depends on the session Brent! :wink: But arm yourself with ten times what you might normally take. :lol:

As you know, was up there awhile ago to give it a go with my buddy Len. Had to do some homework then gave it the old college try. Intense day of fishing would be an understatement. Won't be the last time...

Great fishing for ya Zip! And the water was glass. Great choice for an annual escape... but you can keep the eels. :lol:

One from our day out...

zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Thanks guys!
EagleEyesFlash wrote:Really cool of you posting a couple species we can no longer target here in Ontario.
Drool, great catches !
( We can target redhorse in Ontario but no longer in Quebec ( Copper ) ).

How many dozen worms you need for a session ?

Brent
Thanks Brent.

You can target other Redhorse in QC last I saw. Since you called it out I looked it up. The restricted area is larger than I thought.

https://www.mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/pre ... sp?id=7511

Fishing for Redhorse in QC on the Larry and really sucks 'cause of the gobbies :(

As to the amount of worms... seeing as you are using worm balls with 2-3 worms you can go through them pretty fast.
Peron wrote:I second the Awesome! What bait do you use for the sturgeons?

Rod
They are predominantly caught with worm balls but I am pretty sure you can catch them with fresh cut bait.

Nice fish Moose!
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Congrats on the nice sturgeon and some great fishing
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

Thanks for the clarification on QC redhorse Zippyfx, just release them if caught then, white suckers too.
Ya, PQ sturgeon season ends OCT 31st, know a good time of year for them, maybe giv er a try this coming weekend for a kayak sturggie ?
Been trying to find someone else interested in trying to get a kayak one, figure need an anchor, bunch of worms, bunch of LED lights if at night, and
a couple pepsi and Joe Louises perhaps. ( Message if interested ). Tried once byself a few years back, above Lachine rapids, unsure what would have happened if hooked up, just say I had a knife ready. You use circle hooks? or say a 5/0 Gama Octopus ? Made a friend who's a sturgeon guide out of St. John NB ( Joe Tilly ) this year, he gets shortnose and the odd Atlantic, just no time off for me to make a trip there this year. Had a streak of 5 years with an eel opening day walleye in Buckham's like 16-11 years ago, haven't seen an Ottawa R one in long time, back in 70's remember hordes of them under Champlain bridge, scare up wading.
They seem to be making it up the Larry here again though lately. Great catches Dudes !
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Been down for day and basically went down "blind". I knew the depth and the lake but not much more... :lol:

What a fishery! SO much fun. Thanks for sharing!

RJ