Upper Rideau

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Fester
Participant
Participant

Upper Rideau

Post by Fester »

Hello all, Can anyone speak to the fishing on the Upper Rideau. I just bought a nice property a short distance outside of Westport, ON. I have been out fishing a few times and have smashed the Small mouth and perch each time. Being new to the lake I am having a hard time locating any Pik's, if they are indeed here. I sold my ice hut before I moved so now I will have to build another. How is the ice fishing on the Upper? Are there many huts out in winter? Are there any soft spots from springs or creeks to worry about? Any information regarding the lake would be appreciated.

Fester
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Upper Rideau

Post by seahawk »

Used to be good crappie fishing over there.
DropShot’r
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DropShot’r »

Although it's been many years since I fished this area the best place to go for up to the date info is Norris bait & tackle.

http://www.norrisfishnhunt.com/

good luck,
Drop
Dobyns Army member
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

My family had property on The Upper for a better part of 30 yrs. I cut my teeth on this body of water, and hope I can share some insight. 1st off, I'm not sure, when you say "Piks" Are you looking for pike, and or walleye? There are both in the The Upper. My cottage, who was bought out by my Uncle 10 yrs ago, is quite visible from the Narrows Lock. Look to 2 o'Clock on the NE side, you'll see a rock face, and ours is right to the right of that rock face. The North side of the lake provides better bays, weed growth, and LM and Pike fishing from spring to fall. You can launch at the Narrows, and quickly be in SM, Walleye, and pan fish territory. Head west, on the North side, and you will find 2 bays. The 1st we named "Turtle Bay" Small, heavy weed growth in the summer, but a starting point. The next, with mainly rocky shore line if you hug tight, can produce LM, SM, And Pike on a troll. The next bay "Duck Bay" has a nice deep opening into the bay. As soon as you pass the bottle neck, it opens up into LM and pike heaven. Heavy vegetation, and lots of timber to work for LM. If you continue on the NW side of the lake, you will encounter a few more bays, these are just as easily found if launching from Westport. As you come from the east, there is a park with a beach, this has great SM for it is all rock, and deep clearer water. This is close to Westport. If launching out of Westport, or heading from the South side to the North side, there are area's which hold perch and Walleye, but I'll get to that in a second. The bay in Westport, below the fish sanctuary, Is A BLAST for kids! Abundant panfish, and LM on senko's, with a few tanks if you fish them right. The same can be said for The Narrows. The perch fishing after ice out can be stellar! The crappie fishing has lacked over the years, but they can be found all yr at the Narrows. As I said earlier, you must find the structure in open water to find the walleye (During the day) For late May to July walleye's, the Narrows is the #1 spot. Fish husky jerks, or minnow bait similar in a silver and blue, or black and silver, that dive between 8-12' The water is 8-15 casting from the dock from before dusk until beyond dark. Fish as for down the dock as possible. On a clear night, you can see them schooling following the bait fish. Live bait and jigs, will see a 99% of Smallies, and pike before the walleye. The stick baits make em go 9-1. The added bonus of this body of water is the access to Newboro, and The Big Rideau with even more species and diverse area's and way's to fish. Also, as posted, Norris B&T is gonna be the best guy to speak to locally. He took the reigns on the re-introduction to the walleye stocking on The Upper. Great staff, and always friendly. My wife and I go a few times a season, and we stay at the motel in Westport. As for Ice fishing this water body, I have never seen a shack, but only was there 3 times in 30 years in the winter. Though, if the ice was good, I would put all of my focus in the Narrows area. I hope this helps, and feel free to pm or ask in this forum if I can help any further!

All, the best, and you bought a property in my wife and I's favorite area in the Province! We are searching ourselves, so congrats!

Feel free to contact if you need any more info

T.L F.F