Gatineau Sewage Dump

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Gatineau Sewage Dump

Post by Lunker Larry »

t\The City of Gatineau will be releasing approximately 20,000 m3 of untreated sewage into the Lievre/Ottawa Rivers next week, for 2-3 days while they do maintenance work.

You can read details of the sewage release here:
http://www.ottawariverkeeper.ca/gatinea ... vre-river/

Please share with anyone you know who might be fishing on the Ottawa River next week!
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Gatineau Sewage Dump

Post by Peron »

There was a very good online article about Ottawa/Gatineau sewage outflow and treatment few months back including a google map with all the Gatineau untreated outflows and the Ottawa overflow points all indicated. Could not find it to post. Does not discuss the impact of upstream communities and inflows that may have sewage outflow.

In summary, if you fish upstream of Bate's island, not a lot of outflow points. Basically Goose poo would be the main organic contaminant I would bet!

That being said I have always been less worried about bacterial/viral issues since the majority of human pathogens, do not survive long outside the hosts (and fish generally do not harbour them), or are addressed by proper cooking. Don't think I would make Ottawa River sushi even though the muscle (what we eat in sushi) should not have pathogens when properly prepared.

I am increasingly more concerned about inorganic (chemical and pharmaceutical) contaminants. Lots of individual research but not a lot of coordinated water body studies. The old rules used by the Ministry on how many fish you could eat from a body of water per month were all based on testing of the serious inorganics like mercury. Nowadays I am more worried about my estrogen levels after a fish (or chicken so I hear... ) meal"

Rod
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

I have a rule of thumb. May be wrong, but it works for me.
I will not eat fish after the first storm when temperatures hit 30c or greater in the summer.

Once the water temps settle down in the fall, I will than harvest fish in this area.

And by harvesting, I mean 1-2 that just need to be enjoyed.

I do however concur, that toxins would be of greater concern. Especially bog pharma.

I was speaking to a fellow who used to work at EB Eddie and said the amount of stuff just dumped over his career was unbelievable.
He is retired, for a decade or so now, so he could have witnessed some significant toxins some 40 years ago being tossed.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

What a joke! We're not hearing much about this one like we did with the one in Montreal last year... But like the article states, at least they're warning us when this is going to happening now. Hopefully most of the time they are anyways... Crazy that there are no laws preventing this...
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Sad state.

RJ
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Found the article on Gatinea/Ottawa sewage outflows. It was easy, don't know why I missed it the first time.

The Google map is really good so you can avoid fishing next to a sewer:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ga ... -1.3716937

Rod
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Heard on the news this morning that the work was finished 20 hours ahead of schedule. Which is probably the only good thing about this.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

Peron wrote:Found the article on Gatinea/Ottawa sewage outflows. It was easy, don't know why I missed it the first time.

The Google map is really good so you can avoid fishing next to a sewer:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ga ... -1.3716937

Rod
If you looked in the history here in the forum, you may see a post where suggested exactly that! It's amazing what Gatineau has been allowed to get away with. Now, let's move down the river a piece to Thurso, to the mill and tell me they don't dump/leech their crap in to the ottawa. If a municipality can do it so freely and not even have a true system for monitoring it, you sure as hell know industry will be capitalizing on it, until they can't.

Bloody scary in this day and age.

Yet, if you and I have an old oil tank leak, we are the worst thing that walked the earth.
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!