A NUNAVUT NOMAD FOR ARCTIC CHAR. Report & More.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

A NUNAVUT NOMAD FOR ARCTIC CHAR. Report & More.

Post by Moosebunk »

Admittedly I have procrastinated on creating a website for several years. It was probably around 2010-11 when leaving one private website, seeing another suffer a crash and watching two others completely fold up, that I found myself racing around the www to sites remaining, trying to collect as many of my online stories as I could in order to save them at home rather than lose them forever. The hope thereafter was to some time finally have a place where 12 years of fishing stories could be archived and shared with any people interested. To essentially have some place to call my own.

Now that place exists. Bunks Outdoor Angle.

A member of several public and several private forums, formatting and editing between them is becoming more time consuming and rather annoying. Some sites don’t allow certain words typed or things said, while others do. Some sites do not allow more than so many characters in a single post, though some allow infinite. One site actually prefers such big stories to be linked to some place else. I have had moderators even pull entire reports down out of spite. Some reports are being lost, have been lost, taken or misplaced. Some of my content has been found stolen to other sites. Family and friends can’t always view the stories because of firewall settings conflicting with certain forums or, they can’t log on, or they merely lose track of the original link. And even now, with my own site, writing a post there will require some formatting entirely different, which will of course just add up to more time and work. Bottom line, I am a busy guy who parents, works, travels and fishes a tonne, I am simplifying my life at no cost to anyone, but for great gains to me and my own.

Moving forward I plan to continue checking in at the websites and writing about fishing as I always have. People on the forums understand that big reports are quite an undertaking, but for me have always been a labor of love. If you have enjoyed them then, you will enjoy them now and into tomorrow. Nothing in the stories will change. A local pioneer of the big report, I will provide an honest and enjoyable reading experience, as I always have. Anglers should fully know by now that a Moosebunk report is the real deal.

Currently the site is just finishing up some final tweaks in the gallery. Seventy stories are already uploaded, archiving 2010 to present. The WarCanoe Journals section will see many of the old northern reports dating 2009 back to 2004 return to existence, and to kick this site off the first report linked is one you will not want to miss.

"A NUNAVUT NOMAD FOR ARCTIC CHAR."

http://bunksoutdoorangle.com/a-nunavut- ... ctic-char/

Nobody is forcing ya, but visit when and as often as you like at... http://bunksoutdoorangle.com/

Bunk!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: A NUNAVUT NOMAD FOR ARCTIC CHAR. Report & More.

Post by ShawnD »

Congrats on the new site, those are some wicked colors!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Fester
Participant
Participant

Post by Fester »

I lived in Nunavut for 8 years, working from Arviat to Repulse Bay and parts between. Loved the hunting and fishing. I have a number of stories myself. I used to teach a Trapping, Skinning, and Tanning course up there. I have a number of Arctic Fox pelts and an Arctic Wolf pelt being tanned as we speak. Many good times up there, I really miss it but family here comes first. I will keep tabs on your stories.

Fester
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

ShawnD wrote:Congrats on the new site, those are some wicked colors!
Colors on the fish or at the site? :lol: Thanks Shawn!
Fester wrote:I lived in Nunavut for 8 years, working from Arviat to Repulse Bay and parts between. Loved the hunting and fishing. I have a number of stories myself. I used to teach a Trapping, Skinning, and Tanning course up there. I have a number of Arctic Fox pelts and an Arctic Wolf pelt being tanned as we speak. Many good times up there, I really miss it but family here comes first. I will keep tabs on your stories.
Fester
Nice! So many transient workers to have stayed 8 years is a feat in and of itself. Why all the relocating though? With the Co-Op or maybe some GN job?

Have seen a number of arctic wolves from quite up close and some are huge and muscular, others kinda mangy. Not as big I think as our northern Ontario timberwolves though. That said, I'd still like to get my hands on a set of claws, a big canine or some fur mitts or trimmed mukluks one of these times up there. Same goes for wolverine too. Thanks for replying, small world. Nearly made it to Arviat for a contract one time but went smaller and more remote instead.
Fester
Participant
Participant

Post by Fester »

I was working for the Government of Nunavut for the Department of Education. Looking for some more small contracts for up there still. I just gave away a set of wolf paws, claws and all. I can still get just about anything I want, I just need to place an order, and then send off for tanning along with the proper paper work, wolverines, wolf, fox, and others. I used to tan all my own hides but no matter how hard I go at it the bigger tanneries with their chemicals do a much better job. Environmentally friendly tans just don't work as well as the non. Just depends on what you want to do with them.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Well its about Friggin Time !!.........Congratulations. The site is looking wicked 8)
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
theDL
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by theDL »

Great site! Nice to have a home for all the great fishing reports!
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Sweet.
Always enjoyable reads.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Great looking site, it's about time... But hey, when you're a busy fisherman like yourself, catching fish is far more important than setting up a website. :D
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Yes! A break from work and fishing through an extended weekend here. :D
Bass Addict wrote:Well its about Friggin Time !!.
Feel the same way Paul. :oops: :lol:

Thanks for the kind words fellas. :D
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

Your website is excellent!
Life goes on
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

Wordsy...there's too many words and pics. :D

What's the true audience for an epic report like this? Cause you're casting pearls but that ain't important. It all struck home here cause I could relate to the many diverse and finely crafted elements... What was best was how it was all integrated. It's not just about fishing, but what a fine record of fishing it is.

Special was the sense of your work and the community you lived in. Perspective - a widely wonderful view of another world. Thanks!
...anything to bend the rod
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

gorfman007 wrote:Your website is excellent!
Thanks Gorf! :D It took a long while to come together but it stayed very close to the original vision of it.
scuro wrote:Wordsy...there's too many words and pics. :D

What's the true audience for an epic report like this? Cause you're casting pearls but that ain't important. It all struck home here cause I could relate to the many diverse and finely crafted elements... What was best was how it was all integrated. It's not just about fishing, but what a fine record of fishing it is.

Special was the sense of your work and the community you lived in. Perspective - a widely wonderful view of another world. Thanks!
My father read it and offered a similar critique Chris. Didn't say so much that is was too long, but that there were too many pictures. He may be right this time. :lol: Like the Slave Guide Report last year, it's hard to spend a month some place that offers a huge visual, fishing and life experience, and not find plenty to say and pictures to snap of that. To put 130 pics into a report when likely 1300 were taken... it's hard to pick and choose what's best sometimes. With this report, how many people are ever going to see Kugaaruk? Or even Nunavut for that matter? This report with everything is a mere glimpse into that world. Who reads it... my family, some friends, me, whoever. :lol: Site and post were actually very busy in it's first week... You've been with these reports a long time and I know you're an insightful guy who not only studies fishing and studies reports like this, you actually seek out the similar for yourself every summer. It's cool to write this and know there's guys like you here, like Chris Brock at OFN (as an example), my father off FB, a few friends over in Scotland, etc, etc, that actually read deeply into something that has been written deeply. The feedback like this awesome, so thanks for that. This report was a tricky one to write because I couldn't bounce from day-to-day, it was done in a different sequence and I thought it was not all that good actually. Saving grace, the pictures and the hope that some would still find it interesting even if they couldn't be easily brought "into it" like the usual. Anyways, again thanks. This past summer in Kugaaruk was a huge ordeal and IMO probably one of the most personally rewarding fishing endeavors, ever.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

Nice site Bunk. About time to find all your adventures in one spot. Defiantly a site I'll check in on. Good luck rest of season.
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

I made the too many pics and words comment tongue in cheek. Mozart was once told by a king that his masterpiece had too many notes. As you know when you write these reports they grow organically, almost without you. Your job is to not screw that up by getting in front of it.

You are your toughest critic....and yes I savour each report cause they are that good, this one was especially good, again. :)
...anything to bend the rod