Who's Excited for Ice Fishing?!!..

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Who's Excited for Ice Fishing?!!..

Post by Peron »

I have not been on FH for a bit because I have been really depressed about my lack of fishing the past few months BUT they decided to operate on my shoulder sooner rather than later (last Friday) so my arm left arm is immobilized for four weeks. After that, I start a slow rehab but I think it will work out fine. I get my arm back (sort-of) about the 16th of December. Perfect! the Ice should be forming well and despite the huge success that the early birds have on new ice, I must admit that the 4" early stuff makes me really nervous, especially on the Ottawa River. So put in a few weeks of rehab (and gear prep while I am at it) and I should be ready just when things are right.

Here is plan A:
Will need to pack really light... probably no pop-up for the first while. I will have to use my 6" auger with one of those drill attachments (need to buy). Prefer an 8" hole but using it late last season started my injury problem in the first place.

Plan B: I will put on my bright red flotation suit and head out to a good spot at which point I will lie down on the ice and flop around every couple of minutes. At this point, some nearby Ice fisherman will "take the bait" and rush over to see what happened. At that point I set the hook... "I'm fine thanks, but would you mind drilling me a couple of holes?" :lol: :lol: :lol: If they aren't biting on red I might have to switch up the colour of my jacket... Chartreuse maybe? :D

Dam'n right I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rod
jesse.page
Participant
Participant

Post by jesse.page »

Fishoholic wrote:Hey I know that dog lol! I know Hunter can't wait for ice fishin' but I've still got a few weeks left in the boat. Don't know how often we'll get out this winter with my first born due in January but I'm sure we'll see ya out there this year!

Nice write up too, describes the feeling pretty well. All I used to do is build forts as a kid and now that you put it that way, no wonder I love ice fishin so much. Good luck this year Tia and see ya out there!!!
It's funny I had the same dog show up in my ice fishing pictures too :roll: :lol: ??? Can't wait for ice, beyond excited for this season especially after this snow we've been getting lately! Goodluck out there this year!
tomasz20
Participant
Participant

Post by tomasz20 »

Im super exited I found these great ice fishing videos recently

CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Looking at the long range forecast - Going to be an early start to the season :) Starting to look forward to it big time!
CCLad!
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

For my part, in case I get bored with my flasher, I am going to watch TV with my new Marcum VS485c underwater camera...more fun!...yeah!
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Christian Gervais wrote:For my part, in case I get bored with my flasher, I am going to watch TV with my new Marcum VS485c underwater camera...more fun!...yeah!

Let us know how it is.Been thinking of getting a camera but im worried i wont be able to see anything in cloudy stained water?
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

CCLad wrote:Looking at the long range forecast - Going to be an early start to the season :) Starting to look forward to it big time!
CCLad!
No way! I have not looked at the long range forecast. Nice!!!! Tho, it's so warm today you could fish in a sweatshirt, so hard to believe~!

Christian Gervais wrote:For my part, in case I get bored with my flasher, I am going to watch TV with my new Marcum VS485c underwater camera...more fun!...yeah!
Ohhhhh ya??? Very cool! Hope we can get out together this year. I'd love to check that out! :P
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Cameras are great but really depend on where you are fishing. On the Rideau Lakes and other local lakes I can see about 12 feet. On the Ottawa I bet you'd be lucky to see 2 feet on a good day, especially below the city.

RJ
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Ice fishing you say? Beyond excited!

Few new toys this winter to use so it can't come soon enough!

Boats put away but may take it out tomorrow for some bass...why not :lol:
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Oneeleven wrote:
CCLad wrote:Looking at the long range forecast - Going to be an early start to the season :) Starting to look forward to it big time!
CCLad!
Oneeleven wrote:
No way! I have not looked at the long range forecast. Nice!!!! Tho, it's so warm today you could fish in a sweatshirt, so hard to believe~!

Starting mid next week the temperature is going down low every night for the rest of the month. Day highs around 0 so cross our fingers and we could be fishing sooner rather than later. That will grow ice quick. Hopefully the snow holds off untill theres a solid base of ice!

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ca/kanata ... er/1366233
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

I can't wait! Going to put the shack out at Shirley's Bay and I'm looking forward to fishing the Calabogie Hills and Golden Lake.
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Me, Me, I'm excited. I'm not around to do much soft water fishing, but come the ice. I'm in.

Ottawa River, Bay of Quinte, back lakes, bring it on.

PS Tia, I know where you were fishing in that photo. Great spot. Wink wink.