Sturgeon, Muskies, Crappies and more...lots more.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sturgeon, Muskies, Crappies and more...lots more.

Post by RJ »

As I sit here just in from the RedBlacks game that was a blizzard all afternoon I kinda have come to the conclusion that the open water season may be over or very close. May sneak out once more maybe twice but for the most part she's done!

My last guiding trip was on the St. Lawrence with some of my favorite regulars. Gabe had an awesome season in the Lund. I hope when he's old enough to appreciate and thank his Dad for all these trips he says Thanks... :lol:

Then came what I've come to appreciate as the no pressure season. A couple trips out of town with buddies, some time with my Pops and some local fishing as well. Just fun time to wind down the season.

Brad and I made the run down to the St. Lawrence to target the Sturgeon. With very limited intel other than depth we went at it blind. After consulting Navionics we decided to give a quick run thru of one flat. When the sonar shows you this you stop. :shock:

Within the first 30 minutes we had our first take. Holy Crap we caught one... :lol:

When things would slow we'd move a bit, maybe 40 yards and re spot-lock. We'd chuck out and wait. We had what is likely the worst conditions on the river possible. Heavy East winds and Rain, very thankful for the full canopy top as we just sat under it and listened to the local French radio station... :lol:

My rod took a heavy bounce...that's better.

Brad's rod bounced again. When he set the hook we knew it wasn't one he would just drag in...

We missed a couple more on the take and picked this one up just before hitting the road.

Brad did get an exotic... :lol:

What a fun trip. They're a really cool big fish to target that I may visit a couple times a year. We went at it blind and did OK I thought, despite someone getting grilled if he sent us all his intel. :roll: Some people.

Up next was a crazy day on the Miss with my Dad. He threw a hairjig most of the day while I threw a swimjig most of the time. Wicked mixed bag with a Pike that I still can't believe came out of Mississippi Lake.

Beat up Ol' Gator.

A bonus really good Jumbo!

A little bit of Non-Fishing here. I swear I have the best clients I could ever ask for. Many become friends that we keep in touch often. When I answered my phone last December and it was Ryan from Pennsylvania on the horn it was great to hear from him. He told me to keep Oct 22nd open. "Are you coming up?" "No you and Birdee are coming down, to a Penn State football game". WOW. WHAT A TRIP.

We did the full on Tailgate experience, stayed in Ryan and Amy's RV and took in the game. I've been lucky enough to see quite a bit over the years, Stanley Cup Finals, Jordan courtside, Tiger Woods inside the ropes etc. NOTHING compares to that PSU Football game. Throw in that it was a huge upset for them to beat Ohio State that night it was a wicked deal.

A few pics.

Just one of the many fields FULL of RVs.

The stadium was crazy. 107,000 plus people.

The Post Game rush the field...

Let's go! :lol: Birdee grabs a player and says we're from Canada and we want a pic :lol:

Such a cool experience that we can't wait to get back down there again! Oh and we've watched every PSU game since we've been back... :shock:

Got home and in a last minute idea Chevy, Brad and I hit the road for Lake St. Clair. LSC is much like steelheading, if conditions are good it's like shooting fish in a barrel. We didn't have the best deal in front of us but we decided to go anyways. We did two days there, landing 6 fish. Not great by LSC standards but by conditions I was pleased with it.

The laughs were endless on this trip, such a good time with the fellas. It was Game 7 of the World Series and none of us could keep our eyes open to see it... :lol:

Ended my season how it started with some of my favorites and a fish fry.

Lastly, some of you may recognize these two fellas. Many won't. For the old school guys the boys are doing great and rockin' it out with the Stittsvillains!

Sorry for the long post folks but that's what it took to get caught up!

Play safe if you're still getting out, just as many people get into trouble at this time of year on the water as they do on the ice. Keep that in mind!

RJ
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Sturgeon, Muskies, Crappies and more...lots more.

Post by Out4trout »

Looks like a superb season ender Rob. The mixed bag is cool, esp sturgeon and eel. St Clair Muskies are so much more spotted than the local ones, must be a different set of genetics at play.

Rob and Mike - great to see them again!!
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Great post RJ! The sturgeon are awesome I'd say you did alright for going blind. Love them Crappie!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

You've been having a stellar fall on the water for sure! Good to see you and Kim at the Brass Monkey the other night.....hope I melted your faces.... :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :D
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
smokercraft
Participant
Participant

Post by smokercraft »

Too Funny RJ!! I am pretty sure I caught that exact pike on Miss about 2 weeks ago! Can tell by the scar on the side. Got him on a tube in about 6 feet of water. I was in that same bay as you judging by the pics.
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Good post and pics RJ. Love too see the smiles, and the fish.

What's this I hear about a pan fish contest?
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Great write up as always.. 8) .
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing. Feel like I just did some fishing!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Great pictures RJ!
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Great pics of some great fish along with a great write up. Congrats on a great season RJ.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Thanks folks! I do apologize for not getting this onto FH as soon as possible. Busy times!
Gord wrote:You've been having a stellar fall on the water for sure! Good to see you and Kim at the Brass Monkey the other night.....hope I melted your faces.... :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :D
Dude. Seriously, you may be the most talented person I know. Crazy good.
smokercraft wrote:Too Funny RJ!! I am pretty sure I caught that exact pike on Miss about 2 weeks ago! Can tell by the scar on the side. Got him on a tube in about 6 feet of water. I was in that same bay as you judging by the pics.
That's awesome. It certainly isn't a smart fish.. :lol:
Maple wrote:Good post and pics RJ. Love too see the smiles, and the fish.

What's this I hear about a pan fish contest?
Birdee and I host a Panfish Derby on Lower Rideau Lake usually around mid Feb, it's in support of the Kelly Shires Breast Cancer Foundation. Had to cancel last year, hoping to be at it this year.
CBB wrote:Great pics of some great fish along with a great write up. Congrats on a great season RJ.
Season? That was October... :lol: :lol:

RJ
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Your month of October tops most of our years. :D Love the sturgeon!
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Some great pictures RJ. You have a great months of October.
jesse.page
Participant
Participant

Post by jesse.page »

Gotta love the fall bite! Awesome report, stellar photos RJ