need advice on fishing shop

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Pewit
Participant
Participant

need advice on fishing shop

Post by Pewit »

Hi All! Where can I buy lead bullet weights? Need 3/4oz and 1oz. Couldn't find any in Cabelas or Sails.

And a realy difficult question:) Is there any chance to find any weights like this? also some 1oz.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (17.92 KiB) Viewed 6032 times
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: need advice on fishing shop

Post by scarkner »

That's a russian Cheburashka Sinker.

Just search ebay for it by name "Cheburashka Sinker" and you will find lots of them direct from mother russia.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Carpins in Ingleside has them as Mark makes them himself along with other hard to find fishing accessories
Pewit
Participant
Participant

Post by Pewit »

Thank you for your help!

Any suggestions about the bullet sinkers? Is there any chance to find them somewhere here in Ottawa? Maybe online?
River Monster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by River Monster »

Canadain Tire may carry lead bullet weights, lebaron used to. maybe give Ed a call at paddletails

Just out of curiosity why not tungsten? and don't say price, you mentioned some pretty nice lures in another thread :D
- Rick Ozga
Pewit
Participant
Participant

Post by Pewit »

River Monster wrote:Canadain Tire may carry lead bullet weights, lebaron used to. maybe give Ed a call at paddletails

Just out of curiosity why not tungsten? and don't say price, you mentioned some pretty nice lures in another thread :D

Just don't see any reasons to pay significantly more, because I don't see any advantages of tungsten.
I'm okay to lose some 10 lead sinks per day which would be 10-15 bucks? And how much would it be in tungsten? a hundred? just why would you do that?
Those vobblers that I mentioned are not supposed to be dragged between rocks, so they live for ages and they are worth every penny, because the work:)
Lenny
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lenny »

I like these hooks a lot. They're especially effective for sight fishing Salmon, Steelhead, Carp ect..

https://m.alibaba.com/guide/sport/shop/ ... 0.0.O8ITEA
Harcombe9923
Participant
Participant

Post by Harcombe9923 »

I bought a pack of different sized weights at Canadian Tire in Smiths Falls and they had bullet weights in the pack. Not sure if they are lead but I don't reckon the pack cost more than $5-$10
If your rod ain't bending you're just pretending.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Pewit wrote:
River Monster wrote:Canadain Tire may carry lead bullet weights, lebaron used to. maybe give Ed a call at paddletails

Just don't see any reasons to pay significantly more, because I don't see any advantages of tungsten.
I'm okay to lose some 10 lead sinks per day which would be 10-15 bucks? And how much would it be in tungsten? a hundred? just why would you do that?
Those vobblers that I mentioned are not supposed to be dragged between rocks, so they live for ages and they are worth every penny, because the work:)
Have you tried Tungsten?

It doesn't help in landing the fish but it does provide more information about the bottom composition. I find tungsten way more sensitive than lead.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Pewit wrote:

Hi, I understand you completely, the price for Tungsten is crazy, but look around online with the amount of competition prices are being dragged down.
I hear a lot about sensitivity but honestly I'm beginning to make the change for two major reasons.

1- over all size, being much smaller the fish will be able to inhale a 1 Ounce weight much easier.
2- Lead is well.. Lead.. Bad for the environment.

I still use lead, tube jigs, Jigs and weights, just slowly making the change.
;)

Shawn D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Wally
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Wally »

Can these be used for trolling.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Pewit wrote:

The advantage of tungsten is density. A smaller profile for a given weight which helps punching/working weeds and "salad"

I would not pay for the difference but tournament anglers would,
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

If you are bottom fishing there is no advantage to using tungsten.

RJ
Pewit
Participant
Participant

Post by Pewit »

lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Well, that's one way to ensure you'll always have them!

Great idea though.