Roddick lake AKA big round and small round lake

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bytownblue
Participant
Participant

Roddick lake AKA big round and small round lake

Post by Bytownblue »

Hi folks
I'm planning a trip up to Roddick lake near gracefield Quebec early next year for a few days
Have any of you folks fished there either in big round or small round lake?
I read there are walleye, pike, bass and lakers but without local knowledge or past experiences it's a bit sketchy
Are there any hot spots and tips you may want to share?
Please feel free to share via PM if wanted.
Thanks so much in advance
BTB
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Roddick lake AKA big round and small round lake

Post by ShawnD »

Hi,

I grew up on Roddick Lake and my parents still have a place they spend the summer there.
Question for you, how are you launching your boat?

The Only ramp I know is Private.

As for fishing, there is everything you mention in the Lake, you'll find a Monster here and there but do not expect to go there and pull them out every other cast.
It's a VERY over fished Lake, I spend my summers preaching about catch and release there.. But rarely do you ever see a Game warden there..
So people literally stock their freezers..

It's sad really, I remember fishing there as a child and catching Giant Largies..

Navigation wise everything is fairly well marked.
I'm not going to discuss hot spots as I only visit the lake once or twice a year now.

FYI I'm not purposely trying to get you to avoid the place, just being realistic.
IMHO I would fish St Marie right now.

Good luck out there.
Make sure you find a ramp before you get there..

Cheers
Shawn D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
Bytownblue
Participant
Participant

Post by Bytownblue »

Thanks Shawn
A buddy of mine own a large lodge and private ramp on small round, so we are going up with a group the intent of fishing and golfing the mighty royal and ancient Algonquin. Not my normal MO but what the heck.
We only catch and release
I've been once before but could not find any walleye at all but did manage a few decent lakers on Downriggers in small round lake but nothing on the main lake, and a few decent bass around the island on the smaller lake.
Just seeing if there are any hot spots to find walleye

Cheers
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

Bytownblue wrote:Thanks Shawn
A buddy of mine own a large lodge and private ramp on small round, so we are going up with a group the intent of fishing and golfing the mighty royal and ancient Algonquin. Not my normal MO but what the heck.
We only catch and release
I've been once before but could not find any walleye at all but did manage a few decent lakers on Downriggers in small round lake but nothing on the main lake, and a few decent bass around the island on the smaller lake.
Just seeing if there are any hot spots to find walleye

Cheers
Sorry I'm a Bass guy, haven't caught much walleye there.

Good luck!
Shawn D
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

We are on this lake since 1974. Father own a house aka cottage there, North side. St therese. Section.

Theres is everything. Laker,,whitefish....walleyes bass,,pike..sturgeons catfish...perch caro etc etc.

But it as went down drasticalh in the last 20 years.

Use to catch 5-6 pike for a small 2/3 h outhing. Now lucky if you get one a summer.

I have doen 1000s of hours on that lake. Younger bass was ok,,,then it went very good now back to ok.

Use to be full of sunfish,,pike perch. Now low numbers

Walleyes....they have stovk them for a few years. Caught up to 6 pounder... But not a walleye spot.

Its a good lake for lakers in opening weeks.

Was great for whitefish on ive but now everythjng is close in winter on it.

So now wen i go up there. Sadly i gish all lake around and not mutch that lake. Tons of great lakes around there that are still very good.

Not saying its not a good lake,,,but it sure is not what it was innghe 70/80s.

For walleye. I would hit gatineau river, We caught are pb right there.down those few rapids.

Joco
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Jul0682 »

My parents live on the main lake and I've fish there all my life and I agree with the above as its not like it was before. I went there last year and caught a nice walleye and 5 bass in one weekend.. was pretty lucky but not like it was before. Lakers are awesome there if u know the spots and same goes for walleye.. if u camp at the campground u can launch your boat there or if not u can pay to launch it and tjen9take it out for one price..

Jul
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

True. Few spots for walleye and lakers and whitefish.

Sad no more ice fishing

Was there last week looking at the ice and :( . Cant hit it.

But few good lakes close by. 8) Do homework find the honey holes.

We are on the right of where gorman little store was on shore, been there since 1974. Git are land there during the big flood.,,one reason we have so many species in this lake. The flood. And the creek going into the gatineau river.

Anyway still a very nice lake. Just sad its not like the 70/80s

Joco