2016 a year for the books

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

2016 a year for the books

Post by Chevy Champagne »

Hey guys! Warning you now this is going to have a ton of pictures and it may be a lil bit long winded so get comfy grab a coffee... or a beer :twisted: and enjoy 8) 8)

I was needed a little bit earlier at the lodge this year meaning the early season crappies and such that I would normally be able to fish here in Ottawa before heading north was not gonna happen, with my one year of experience knowing what the lodge had to offer it really didn't bother me so I packed up my truck and headed to the bush where I spent the next 6 months catching monster walleye, smallies and pike.

Our first day on the water this year was may second the ice just honeycombed enough that we could bust through it and make our way to the falls about 10 minutes from the lodge. The fishing was nuts that night with the suckers spawning and the water starting to warm the pike were on the prowl and hungry!! we had three boats out that night with 3 guides in each boat and we ended the night with 4 pike over 40" with a 43 being the biggest. We also caught more in the 35-39" range then we could count!

A little bit of excitment in the air putting off the docks

Here is my big fish of the night just over 40"

We had a few nights of fishing out there before the walleye season was underway and guests started arriving that when our work for the season really started
by that time Im pretty sure we had something like 60 pike over 37 inches just in or few hours of fishin each night
heres a couple of my gooders during that time

girthy gal

Then walleye got into full swing! We normally start targeting them in pretty shallow water as they are usually just at the tail end of they're spawn and turning into feed mode. Pitching jigs around in timber rock points and reefs in anywhere from 2-6 feet of water is normally dynamite! it didnt disapoint with a ton of nice fish for my guests and a couple for me :twisted: :twisted:

and my new personal best

as spring fades into summer we watch our fish do the ole transition into 10-20 then eventually catch them down around 40 feet off big sand structures usually what feels like your fishing in the middle of of nowhere there were big ones to be caught then aswell :lol:

eventually you would set into something that felt like a log on bottom until it started moving, always a ton of fun on the jigging sticks!

lots of big pike caught in the summer in weeds aswell!!

was lucky enough to have a visit half way through my season from my better half, as usual she showed her skills going for the tripple whammy

walleye over 27"

bass over 20"

and pike over 37"

Here are a few random shots through the summer

The next few months were a total blur!! I ended my season with around 60 walleye over 27" in my boat, 42 bass over 19" and 9 pike over 40" and as the season came to an end I was hugely honored to win the guide of the year trophy one of my biggest accomplishments ever and it never fails to catch my eye and make me grin when I walk past it

Madi and i decided that at the end of my season that she was going to take a couple of weeks off and we would explore some of the amazing river fishing that was on route back home. we were at the tail end of the salmon run and was hoping to get into some steel.
We hit a pile of rivers with about half of them producing fish. i was mostly using the pin and Madi would toss a spoon around catching a majority of the fish :shock: :roll:

nice fresh coho

one of the many pinks i got into on the pin

a whole lot of beauty in this shot.. the fish, the scenery and of course....

small resident bow I got drifting a small brush pile lots of theses guys kicking around but so danm beautiful

madi got this huge chinook on a spoon that almost spooled her a few times.... was worth the hour long walk for this one!

this was a first for me a nice colored up male brookie out of the nipigon river that was tagged

Another first with this one.. anyone here ever catch a laker off a dock??? me neither :lol:

weird spot this one was a little sketchy to say the least :shock: :shock:

We got home mid octoberish and my mind went into one or the other... trout or musky both treated me fairly well. spent a total of 8 days going into the backwoods looking for another monster brookie but they wernt so nice to me, had a number of big trout fly outa the trees to grab my tube and mis or grab it and spin right around to break me off or just look at my bait and slowly swim away.... ill be back. Heres a few decent ones managed to land

Only got out for skis a handful of times but i was able get a few nice ones including this snaggle toofed tard that followed my eight for about 3 minutes trying to eat the bait missing before i could lay some steel to her

also got our for a trip with RJ and brad for skis on lake st clair, always a trip i wanted to do! so much fun

and a season just isn't complete without some fall small mouth but the hammer to em this season thanks to a couple real good buddies!

The last two days of my season were looking to put some meat in the freezer it was a success with some nice walleye and awesome crappie fishing... the big ones went back!

like you havent seen enough pictures of walleye in this report heres one from a local lake

and some pics of the one day of crappie fishin madi and were able to sneak out and do before the weather turned nasty

You cant say i didnt warn ya, lots of pics and long winded!
hope everyone enjoys it and ill see yas on the ice 8) 8)
Last edited by Chevy Champagne on Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: 2016 a year for the books

Post by Wallyboss »

Only one word for this post!!!! WOW
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
trouthunter
Participant
Participant

Post by trouthunter »

:shock:
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Great post! As usual some true giants caught throughout the year. It's good to have you back buds, this shall be a good winter 8-)
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

A very well written to the point along with great pics. Congrats on a great yr fishing and working all in one. Love the layout of the king Fisher boat, was there much torque on the 115 Yamy tiller?
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

What lucky star were you born under??

Big congrats all around for your chosen passion, and success.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

CBB wrote:A very well written to the point along with great pics. Congrats on a great yr fishing and working all in one. Love the layout of the king Fisher boat, was there much torque on the 115 Yamy tiller?
Thanks I tried to be as straight to it as I could since theres just so much! And a lot that I left out! As for the yammie 115 tiller its unreal! Gets that big heavy king fisher up on plane super quick and cruises at 40mph with stearing you could do with your pinky finger if you didn't have to twist that throttle! Unbelievable fishing package that is my dream rig now!
maple wrote: what lucky star were you born under
To be honest im not sure but It was the right one and I sure am thankful of it, thanks for the kind words
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Looking good buddy!
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Fish, fish, fish, and more fish! Numbers and size too boot... Really jelous of the the huge pike and trout. Way to go!
jesse.page
Participant
Participant

Post by jesse.page »

I think i drink two beers through that?? Awesome year of fishing in the books for yeah! Catch yea on the ice :D
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Great year SO FAR Chev!!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Still remember your teenage fishing reports, including ice fishing with your mom. Always figured you had the passion to take this large... look at ya now! Chevy's all growed up!! ;) Serious fishing and good on you for pursuing your dream. Keep em coming, great to see you enjoying the ride of life!!
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Awesome stuff right there Chev. So now that you guide so much it must be great to get out when you can on your own time.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Leerjmc
Participant
Participant

Post by Leerjmc »

Wow.just wow!!u sir are on a whole other level.
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

You shure have great year Chevy you shure leave the Dream