Shirleys bay Ice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Duper
Participant
Participant

Re: Shirleys bay Ice

Post by Duper »

Just drove by Shirley's. First shack is up and a couple others fishing there as well.

https://goo.gl/photos/cuNzXhgu1w9kq5mf8
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Post by fishingcarpenter »

Good early start to the season... I was out on Saturday lots of ice for walking. Be careful with the machines
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Duper wrote:Just drove by Shirley's. First shack is up and a couple others fishing there as well.

Was it just a tent (can't tell in the photo).

I was just at Shirleys and there weren't any shacks. did the person change their mind???
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Stay patient folk's. Temps are great for ice fishing/making ice but the blanket of snow on the ice will slow things down a tad. Whats another week or so???? Thanks to all for posting the information, greatly appreciated. Stay safe,
CCLad
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

CCLad wrote:Stay patient folk's. Temps are great for ice fishing/making ice but the blanket of snow on the ice will slow things down a tad. Whats another week or so???? Thanks to all for posting the information, greatly appreciated. Stay safe,
CCLad
Actually, Shirley's has almost no snow, maybe an inch of crusty stuff, and in some places bare ice. Seems that the snow we had either melted in or blew off. So ice should be continuing to thicken up nicely.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Actually, Shirley's has almost no snow, maybe an inch of crusty stuff, and in some places bare ice. Seems that the snow we had either melted in or blew off. So ice should be continuing to thicken up nicely.[/quote]

Excellent to hear - Thanks Skarkner! Guess its time to get the auger ready to fire.... If I have time I will head down later this week and punch some holes and take some ice measurements. If the ice is exposed/not covered in snow it should be growing by the hour at these temps. If anyone can get there and measure before hand get her done and let us know! :)
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

scarkner wrote:
Duper wrote:Just drove by Shirley's. First shack is up and a couple others fishing there as well.

Was it just a tent (can't tell in the photo).

I was just at Shirleys and there weren't any shacks. did the person change their mind???
That was just a square pop up shack the other 2 guys is me and Ryan setting up lol
On Sunday there was 4 1/2 5 inch of ice out there but only 3 3 1/2 was nice hard ice. Lots of water coming up from holes.
So enough it will be driveable
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Hoping we should be good to go monday?Any updates?
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

I'm not going to be able to get down to the bay to check things out until mid next week, Christmas getting in the way of ice fishing, hmm bit of a dilemma :) .... Can anyone else get down there for an update?

On another note, more snow on its way... Sigh!
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Still a good 7-8 inches of ice in the bay. 1-3 inches of crusty snow on top.
Once you get out by the pressure crack it drops to about 2 inches of ice. Be careful out there. And don't be like the three idiots who tried driving out. It surely is not safe for that.
Tight lines.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Choke wrote:Still a good 7-8 inches of ice in the bay.
Interesting... 8" of good solid ice is generally accepted to be enough for a light pickup. I've certainly done it plenty at Shirley's. Just use some common sense and don't park vehicles too close together at first. Mind you some folks do get a tad nervous when you can feel the ice move as other vehicles drive by even 50-60 ft away and the water is in your hole is bobbing. I get it lol. That usually lasts until around 12".
This little warm spell won't hurt at all. Another good thing about Shirley's is that the inner bay freezes quite uniform if you stay inside of any current, plus avoid the lagoon entrance early season. Don't know if anyone here would remember, but there used to be and old Volkswagen there that went thru the ice way back in the 50's, and for all I know the remnants might still be there.
Choke wrote:Once you get out by the pressure crack it drops to about 2 inches of ice.
Can't recall ever seeing a pressure crack this early. Must have been that good cold snap we had. Makes sense for it to happen on the current break too.

Tks for the report.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Thanks for the info folks. See you out there soon enough!
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Hit white lake today,decided to leave the huts at home which was a big mistake.The wind was brutal out there.Had about 4inches of black ice with around three inches of junky ice on top.Few orhers out there.
Last edited by rodbreaker on Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Got just under 11 inches today. About 300 meters straight out from the launch.
My Photobucket is not working. But I did post a pic on the fish hawk Facebook page if someone wants to post it up.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Awesome! I am hoping to put out my hut on Dec 30th. Sure would be nice to drive the truck rather than pulling it by hand!