Shirleys bay Ice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
KevinF
Participant
Participant

Re: Shirleys bay Ice

Post by KevinF »

Ookay I will get back to you and let you know
Kevin
MarkM
Participant
Participant

Post by MarkM »

Was out yesterday and there was a good 15" of ice. The ramp was okay but defenitley have to watch the pot holes.
This was my first time fishing there and got skunked. :roll: Is there a better part of the bay to fish?
KevinF
Participant
Participant

Post by KevinF »

Hopefully this cold weather this week freezes that ramp better .
I have been searching for better spot in the bay , but I do know if you can get out closer to the channel the results will be much better and bigger , so I have been told . There was always a shack or two way out by the point on your left , but this year the ice hasn't been that great to venture that far out . I know a lot guys won't disclose their fishing spot , but willing to help .
This fishing was great in the bay for me until last week . Up till that point caught 4 walleye 2 sauger and 2 real nice pike .
After this deep freeze this week , I plan to move me shack out closer to that point .
Kevin
MarkM
Participant
Participant

Post by MarkM »

There were a few shacks waaay out there and guys driving their vehicles out just as far. Not sure how much ice would be out that way but too scary for me not knowing the current.

I set up closer in the middle and there was about 10-12 feet of water. Noticed a hut with a Fish Hawk Net sign on it so figured the area HAD to be good. Lol :mrgreen:

I'm thinking I may try a little further West of the ramp and closer in. Hoping to get the early morning and late afternoon bite.

I haven't ice fished in 15+ years so relearning what works and hopefully find a few spots to enjoy a few days on the ice.
Mississippi Mudslide
Participant
Participant

Post by Mississippi Mudslide »

You haven't ice fished in 15+ years???? You poor soul!
Glad to hear that you are now able to come out and enjoy the frustration that some (lots) of us have /are enduring...
As I have read in more than a handful of columns, the fish aren't where they used to be, aren't as big, aren't as plentiful BUT they still do keep us intrigued enough to get out as often as we possibly can!
If there was a scoreboard for ice fishing success, I would bet that the tide has turned (a little bit ) in the fish's favour the last few years...(mother Nature and her weather games I'm putting the blame on for shifting the tide!! )
Overall though, us ice fisherpeople know that we're smarter than the average 'school' of fish...so enjoy pulling a few 'students' out of class through the ice on any body of water!
Mississippi Mudslide (M.M.)
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Just an FYI for some of you that want to travel further out. At the point the ice is usually about 6" less than in the bay. There's usually a good current there. First time out I would park inside the point out of the current and then walk out with the auger to check the ice before driving out. It's never been an issue this time of year.

Now for those looking to maybe move to try and find fish my buds with shacks would always find the very edge of that hole that I've marked in red. Literally they could have 9ft in front of the shack and 12' or more behind the shack so they would be right on the lip. Might be worth trying to find.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
MarkM
Participant
Participant

Post by MarkM »

Thanks M.M for the words of encouragement!
So far I'm 0-2 for the season but have to say the days spent on the ice have been great just the same!

Best part about getting back into it, I need new gear of course... :mrgreen:

Thank you Smitty, much appreciated.
Last edited by MarkM on Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

KevinF wrote: After this deep freeze this week , I plan to move me shack out closer to that point .
Kevin if you decide to do that let me know and I'll put you on a good spot. It's about a mile and a half out though.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Good day all, I moved my hut well out. We took a sled out first and punched our way. Where my hut is sitting there is approx 10" of black ice and 2" of white on top. There is a fairly strong currant as well. In fact, enough currant and not enough ice to make me feel comfortable. We will be moving it from its present position. It is a big 8x12 hut, plain wood color... I would personally not recommend driving any where to the east, past the hut. For that matter, there are shoals to the north of it as well, so if you are unfamiliar with the area, go with someone who knows it or you might not want to venture out.... Just be safe that's all.
KevinF
Participant
Participant

Post by KevinF »

How deep is it where you are at ?

I wanna move my shack out that way , any tips or good spots that you may know I am all ears

Cheers
Kevin
Kevin
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

With this cold snap this week and more cold weather beyond that in the forecast it should be real good for making ice, even in the current areas.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

KevinF wrote:How deep is it where you are at ?

I wanna move my shack out that way , any tips or good spots that you may know I am all ears

Cheers
Kevin
we are sitting on top of 13-14 feet of water. Fishing has been OK. 9 in 3 outings, nothing too big. Use caution out there fella :)
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Wondering when its gonna be full size truck safe?
Been a strange aeason so far?
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
BassSlapper
Participant
Participant

Post by BassSlapper »

rodbreaker wrote:Wondering when its gonna be full size truck safe?
Been a strange aeason so far?
I've been driving my ram 1500 out there for a week now. I've seen quite a few others out there as well. After this week coming with cold nights I am not worried anymore, but that's just me.
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

going out tomorrow,.. I'll find out when I get get there no doubt but curious about the launch. In better shape or still a rough ride?