Shirleys bay Ice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BassSlapper
Participant
Participant

Re: Shirleys bay Ice

Post by BassSlapper »

reefhawg wrote:going out tomorrow,.. I'll find out when I get get there no doubt but curious about the launch. In better shape or still a rough ride?
It's definitely in better shape. Still watch out for pot holes on the right. I stuck to the left and had no issues.
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

BassSlapper wrote:
rodbreaker wrote:Wondering when its gonna be full size truck safe?
Been a strange aeason so far?
I've been driving my ram 1500 out there for a week now. I've seen quite a few others out there as well. After this week coming with cold nights I am not worried anymore, but that's just me.
I worry due to the amount of crappy ice on top.Thanks for the update
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Hey Guys, When normally do you bring your shacks off the ice from Shirleys? With this warm weather coming I'm not sure what the ice is going to look like in a week from now or so and if it will be possible to get my truck on the ice.
KevinF
Participant
Participant

Post by KevinF »

Drove out last night , some of the good boys from 613 Ice fishing helped make a road out ..
a couple days of mild weather won't do too much damage in Shirley's bay ... I have 22 inches at my shack we will loose some ice not sure how much more than anything it will melt the snow of the top and make a lot of top water ...
The bay doesn't have much current ... if I was set up in the current I would be worried ...
But the dead line is March 15 to get your shacks off the ice .
Kevin
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

So lift up the shack is what you are saying :wink:
KevinF
Participant
Participant

Post by KevinF »

Would be a good idea yeah
Kevin
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

As long as your not fishing in or near big drift. You won't get your feet wet. But before you drill a hole at your shacks jack them up. It will get slushy. There is a lot of snow drifted up around the shacks.
And we will be lucky if this warm weather melts some of this snow off. I doubt it will affect the ice. It's insulated under a foot or four of snow. And if your going to drive out. Walk your line first. So you know what your getting in to. Before you get stuck. Don't know how many truck I seen stuck today. One guy even blew a tire off its bead. 4x4 is the only way to travel on the bay.

And please don't drill on the roadway. And feel free to help open it up a little more. If you have the capability.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Ramp is in extremely bad shape due to rising water level on the river. I expect that the water will drop this week as night time temperatures drop.

Looks like at least two of us are going to be taking the huts off Shirley's Bay on Sunday Morning March 5th. Hopefully the ramp will harden up this week with the cold night-temperatures that are being forecast. Still quite a few huts on the bay and lots of ice. But the ramp right now is pretty much gone...

If you are out Sunday, keep a watch and lets help anyone that needs it get off safely.

If the cold temperatures continue we might make it to March 15th... but I doubt it.
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

scarkner wrote:Ramp is in extremely bad shape due to rising water level on the river. I expect that the water will drop this week as night time temperatures drop.

Looks like at least two of us are going to be taking the huts off Shirley's Bay on Sunday Morning March 5th. Hopefully the ramp will harden up this week with the cold night-temperatures that are being forecast. Still quite a few huts on the bay and lots of ice. But the ramp right now is pretty much gone...

If you are out Sunday, keep a watch and lets help anyone that needs it get off safely.

If the cold temperatures continue we might make it to March 15th... but I doubt it.
How much ice would you say Scarkner?Is it still driveable?
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Still lots of ice and lots of people still driving out there. Granted the really far-out shacks have been dragged in. Mine is probably one of the farthest in the immediate area of the "village" and there is around 20-22 inches.

The biggest issue is that drilled holes were allowing water to flow under the ice, so some of those holes were huge. Therefore, be aware that hitting a large open patch is possible, especially with more rain on the way. A dusting of snow isn't going to help that either. So I guess stay to the paths as much as you can?

At this point though, I think it is damn near impossible to get onto the ice with a vehicle until the water drops and the ramp re-freezes.

I plan to fish Thursday night and will be walking to my hut. Fingers crossed that Sunday I can drive.
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Thanks for the info.will give it a go this weekend i hope
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

The ramp at Shirley bay looks safe... It is not. Several people fell through on foot tonight, most just to their knees, i went in up to my waist. Rest of the bay is excellent solid 22 inches at my hut. Ramp looks very good, if people stay of it we might bee able to drive on it by Sunday...
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

scarkner wrote:The ramp at Shirley bay looks safe... It is not. Several people fell through on foot tonight, most just to their knees, i went in up to my waist. Rest of the bay is excellent solid 22 inches at my hut. Ramp looks very good, if people stay of it we might bee able to drive on it by Sunday...

You got that right Skarkner. People need to stay off the ramp, (and it probably wont happen) in order for it to freeze solid enough to be usable again. We took our hut down on Tues and had to access the shore west of the launch. We used a sled and brook through at the shore line several times while getting to solid ground. Water wasn't deep where the ice is pooched and I'm wagering with these temps and people not driving over this section, it will be solid in a couple days.
qcconnection
Participant
Participant

Post by qcconnection »

Allegedly, a pickup is stuck on the ramp, or has partially gone through.

I say `` allegedly `` because it was from a 613icefishing post on FB.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Shirleys Bay Ramp is still weak! Right side is strongest, go slow and keep as right as you can (even driving on the boulders). A larger truck than mine went a bit more left and ended up punching through the ice (took a few hours to get it out). Exercise extreme care in the drifts as that seems to be where the ice is weakest (insulating) and be aware that the new hole on the left could be weak for days now...