Shirleys bay Ice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Shirleys bay Ice

Post by CCLad »

Used a tape measure and Ill stand by 6-7 inches of black ice with a couple of inches of white on top. I ce can and will vary by an inche or two. Plus I am measuring the ice inside the hut, its insulated and will not grow like that of the ice surrounding the hut.... I'm not driving out yet, maybe by next weekend.... And no, there really isn't any currant where the hut is.... Walleye either apparently!
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

If anyone has any info/speculation on what the ice is like after yesterday and today that would be great. Planning on hitting ice after work today but concerned about how much water is on top. I would think the overall thinkness hasn't changed much from when I was out on Sunday,...
Cheers,
Geoff
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

reefhawg wrote:If anyone has any info/speculation on what the ice is like after yesterday and today that would be great. Planning on hitting ice after work today but concerned about how much water is on top. I would think the overall thinkness hasn't changed much from when I was out on Sunday,...
Cheers,
Geoff
Just asked a buddy out there, says the ramp is a slushy mess and lots of top-water/slush. No driving on the ice!

Ice itself is plenty safe for fishing on foot.

Should harden up real fast tonight and have a decent new "surface" tomorrow I think.
Mav
Participant
Participant

Post by Mav »

Thanks so much for the info Scarkner!! The updates and info of all who chime in are awesome and much appreciated by all of us on the ice :)
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

There was a couple trucks out there last weekend!Pretty ballsy i must say!i wont drive out untill i see at least 15inches.
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

I sure hope the access doesn't freeze up with major ruts in it. That could really wreck access for lots of vehicles. Plus after this quick freeze it's getting warm again next week.

The worst thing the city ever did was restrict shoreline access with all those boulders. Before that if things got crappy we would just move over and make a new one. Some years were so good there could be up to 5 access "roads" radiating in different directions. I always had a 4x4 but even then some years there was only one road that got plowed out through the deep shoreline snow and then opened up to tour the bay.
Some years even with my 3/4 ton it was a good thing there were 2 shacks at the point and Gord had a plow on his black Bronco. Nice and quiet out there, great sunsets. :) It's over a mile and a half out so even back in the heydays at Shirleys when there were like 70 shacks easy, it wasn't fished much. :wink:

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
reefhawg
Participant
Participant

Post by reefhawg »

Was out yesterday from 4 to after 8pm
Access was about 3 inches or so of crusty shush for a short bit. Beyond that all good.
Someone did take their truck on the ice. They only came out about 50 yards and drove east aways, fished and returned. My fishing partner asked if I've ever see a vehicle go through thinking this might be it. Pretty sure that close to shore though it was much safer.
Cheer,
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

I saw the same truck on Wed. The point to the east of the launch has a good currant where the sailboats anchor in the summer. I was quite concerned watching the truck go. The person made out and back and maybe he knows the line where the currant starts in that area. I don't, I just know the ice over there is always thinner than the ice out front off the point (north).

& Smitty, I couldn't agree more regarding the NCC's brilliant decision to place those boulders creating only 1 access point as opposed to the 80 or more yards that was available. The entire shoreline there is flat rock (exact same as the launch area) Adds to the visual of the area I suppose, but it is completely unpractical and thus, I digress.... STUPID!

We will probably be driving out this weekend. I punched a couple of hole's for an older gent (he hadn't ice fished in over 15 years apparently) who didn't have an auger and the Jiffy was in deep! I didn't measure as I was in a hurry to set up, but near my hut it was over a foot easy.

Speaking of huts, Hows the fishing out there for you folk's? We have had probably the slowest start ever. 3 walleye thus far. I have spoke to several others and they too are reporting slow fishing. A hand full of perch but really not even many bites period and certainly nothing of decent size
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

CCLad wrote: Speaking of huts, Hows the fishing out there for you folk's? We have had probably the slowest start ever. 3 walleye thus far. I have spoke to several others and they too are reporting slow fishing. A hand full of perch but really not even many bites period and certainly nothing of decent size
Compared to last year, I am finding it very slow. Perch numbers and size seems to be up, but all others are down. However, I don't like where my hut is (most westerly) hoping to move it much more east today or tomorrow (but all this talk of thin ice is making me nervous to put the truck on the ice today).
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

The boulders are laaaaame. I think they put them there to protect some sensitive plant life they claim to be there. Can't even let the dog out there when launching the boat without risking a fine.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Anyone ever access the ice at the end of Grandview Rd? That's where I used to get on all the time. A short walk to decent fishing! :wink: :wink: :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Gord wrote:Anyone ever access the ice at the end of Grandview Rd? That's where I used to get on all the time. A short walk to decent fishing! :wink: :wink: :)
Now that goes back a ways Gord. Some buds had shacks there for a couple of years. Decent fishing and like you said, not far of a walk to get to deeper water. I'm not sure but I think access there got blocked off many years back.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Dont think theres anywhere to park on grandview is there?
I have allways wondered about fishing at the marina or andrew hayden park areas.I was looking at some of the nav charts and theres some interessting looking spots
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

smitty55 wrote:
Gord wrote:Anyone ever access the ice at the end of Grandview Rd? That's where I used to get on all the time. A short walk to decent fishing! :wink: :wink: :)
I'm not sure but I think access there got blocked off many years back.

Cheers
There is still access there, with limited parking(4 vehicles max, depending on the snow). You can only walk onto the ice.
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Saturday Update:
Overnight temperatures really did a great job of hardening things up. The ramp is a bit rough, but completely solid. Several regular cars out on the ice as well as the usual 4x4s. Ice is heavily cracked in places due to expansion and there are even a couple pressure ridges before you reach the hut.

I will be out on the ice for another over-nighter tonight in the little blue hut with the lights on (I moved it this morning, so it is now facing the right way!).

Tight lines!