Shirleys bay Ice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Houner
Participant
Participant

Re: Shirleys bay Ice

Post by Houner »

Given the forecast, are we likely to see some shacks stranded out there? I was out before the weekend, and it looked like a couple of trailers were still on the ice...
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

I haven't been down to the bay for a bit, but the camper trailer was still out on the ice last I was there. Given the fact that you cant drive on, im guessing the lad maybe in trouble. A couple ideas... 1 use a sled or 4 wheeler and just tow it to shore and beach it. 2) you would have to contact connaught range, but the land just west of where the trailer is is a causeway. It's DND property but there is access off of rifle road towards the gate that leads into the range. It is locked but given the extenuating circumstances, maybe they would allow access and it could be removed via the causeway.........

Good luck!
CClad
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

The few huts that are left are all smaller and were towed out there with ATV's (in fact, some were only put ON the ice a week ago!).

I am not worried about it! The lads will get them off.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Not sure if they will do anything but I just sent this to the NCC. Would be nice if they removed a couple of the rocks at the top of the launch.....

sent to: info@ncc-ccn.ca

Hello please forward to the correct department A.S.A.P.

I am writing you with respect to the water access at the Shirley’s Bay park on the Ottawa river. When the N.C.C. made their design improvements to this area, you added large boulders creating a single point of access to the river. During the winter months, there is a great deal of recreational ice fishing (as well as other activities) that takes place on ice of Shirley’s Bay. The present design for access to the river has been creating serious hardship for those using it for years. Typical issues would be along the lines of impassible snow drifts filling in the launch area due to the large boulders that line both sides of the launch. This season, the issues have become worse and more serious.

Due to the mild temperatures creating run off and rain we have received, the ice at the launch has given way. I personally know of several vehicles which have been damaged trying to access and or exit the ice from the launch. At present, several trucks have gone through the ice at the launch creating a large hole in the ice, making access to the river unpassable with a vehicle. There are still ice fishing huts and trailers that need to come off the ice and people cannot gain access to materials with their vehicles.

This situation could be easily resolved if you were to remove one of the large boulder’s at the top of the launch, (from both the east and west side of the launch), thus allowing vehicles to gain access to the river from different points when situations like the present one occur. The M.N.R. has a mandate that all ice huts/trailers must be off of the Ottawa river (zone 12) by mar. 15th. Time is a pressing issue on this matter. Please advise if you can and will help the public out with this situation.

Thank you and regards,

Tim Power
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

I also realize it's a little late, but maybe it can get the wheels in motion for next season......
Houner
Participant
Participant

Post by Houner »

The Ottawa Citizen and Sun are always looking for good stories :lol: And ever since the Lemonade Stand Incident, the NCC has been going out of their way for good PR. This could be a good opportunity for positive PR, or a repeat of the Lemonade Stand incident if they choose to ignore this request. Just some food for thought.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Just one hut left on the bay - It was brought almost up to the launch then for-sale sign added and left. I forget who owns it but am sure he will be back.

Better hurry, the ramp is rotting fast today as there is a small stream of water running down the parking lot right over the ramp now.

The rest of the shore looks stable now thanks to the week of cold nights so extended season on the bay should be "OK" for those on foot.

scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

TOTAL FOR THE YEAR???

I keep a log of my catches, I have only had a hut for two winters but if I keep using it then I will update each year:

Raw totals are for all fish combined (perch, walleye, ling... etc).
This year: 84 hours fishing and 52 fish landed
Last year: 81 hours fishing and 72 fish landed

So certainly it was a slower year...
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Here's our shacks numbers for the past few years... Steady decline....

(We don't keep count of perch ling and pike, just track walleye) But the total over all catch of walleye has come down every year
2013 - 70
2014 - cant find the catch number
2015 - 32
2016 - 27
2017 - 22
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I hope buddy's shack is still there......the winds today were INSANE! :shock: :shock:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
BradGuenette
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by BradGuenette »

Gord wrote:I hope buddy's shack is still there......the winds today were INSANE! :shock: :shock:
I work with the fella that owns the last shack, he's hoping to get out this weekend :shock:

The temps are dropping tonight into the weekend, here's to hoping he can get it off
Brad Guenette
Swimbait Canada
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

BradGuenette wrote:
Gord wrote:I hope buddy's shack is still there......the winds today were INSANE! :shock: :shock:
I work with the fella that owns the last shack, he's hoping to get out this weekend :shock:

The temps are dropping tonight into the weekend, here's to hoping he can get it off
mine is still out on cbay... really hopeing these cold nights happen...
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Chevy Champagne wrote: mine is still out on cbay... really hopeing these cold nights happen...
Yikes Chevy! Just don't access it off Bayview:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/03/09/sub ... stance-bay

Rod
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

Peron wrote:
Chevy Champagne wrote: mine is still out on cbay... really hopeing these cold nights happen...
Yikes Chevy! Just don't access it off Bayview:

http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/03/09/sub ... stance-bay

Rod

i still have a pile of ice where i am, just the shoreline getting on needs one or two more nights of cold. where that truck went through this morning is a brutal spot on this stretch of the river, i wouldn't drive a truck there after a month of -20