Man Made Fish "Cribs"

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
rowlzies
Participant
Participant

Man Made Fish "Cribs"

Post by rowlzies »

Throwing this out there to the fishing community for reaction....

A quick google search shows man made fish cribs are somewhat common in high pressured U.S. lakes – yet not without some controversy. Successful cribs tend to draw lazy fishermen who ‘camp’ above and gorge on what’s ever underneath. However, they do help increase fish populations and promote the growth for the lake. If you ‘google image’ these structures you’ll see a wide range of different looking cribs. Materials used range from what you’d find in a forest to what you'd find in the dumpster behind home depot :/

Thinking of building and dropping one of these (made from logs of course!) about 8ft in depth in the bay in front of the cottage but I'm a bit torn on the idea. The approx. 300sqft area has virtually no cover but plenty of bass, pike, and rare walleye outside the bay.

Has anyone ever set one or more of these up? Was it successful? Feedback appreciated. Cheers.

Sidenote: Did a quick search, couldn't find anything related to this topic but apologies if I'm rehashing an old topic. Also, I had been a registered member approx. 9-10 yrs ago - had to re-register. I assume inactivity gave me the boot?
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Man Made Fish "Cribs"

Post by Wallyboss »

Not sure, but that may be illegal. Just like doing work on the shoreline without proper permits? Might want to check with MNR
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

This has been done for the longest time, they also sell those fish structures in stores.
To an extent, docks are also considered man-made structures for fish.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

I say do it, keep a log when you fish it, dive down there and inspect it from time to time.

I'd like to think of you putting effort into this is 10000X better than any ice fisherman ( the polluting ones ) leaving their garbage under the snow to only end up in the bottom of the lake come spring.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
rowlzies
Participant
Participant

Post by rowlzies »

I say do it, keep a log when you fish it, dive down there and inspect it from time to time.
THAT is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Would love to check up on it's status mid-July.

Most conservation authorities are against pulling things out - opposed to putting things in. I know for example Otty Lake association built spawning beds from riverstone in various places to encourage the bass populations to come back.

Well I'm going to give it a go in the spring, keeping it subtle. Was contemplating setting these up on the ice and having them fall in during the thaw but I'd rather not draw attention to them now.

Thanks for the feedback. If someone has had success with this, love to hear it..
horsehunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by horsehunter »

Not sure if its legal but please make sure it`s deep enough not to interfere with navigation even in extreme low water conditions. Logs float how would you ensure they sink all the way to the bottom and not lurk just under the surface. I`m dealing with the purchase of a $4500 lower unit ( thankfully insured )
I love golf it keeps thousands of unworthy off the water
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

The White Lake Stewardship Project along with the White Lake Preservation Project and Watersheds Canada did some major work on the lake in the last few years. Many tons of gravel for spawning beds around the lake and I'm also thinking they may have anchored bundles of used Christmas trees around the lake as well. I recall seeing pics of the huge barge they had out there.
If you were to contact Adam Pugh from Adam's Outfitting I'm sure he could provide you with some info.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Logs for fish Cribs just scares me as how can you sink a log? The Christmas trees have been used with great success for ages and give shelter to many fish along with bait fish. Another thing they do is build square cribs with slats that allow bait fish and small fish to enter between the slates and just put stones in the bottom to sink well below the water line to avoid being hit.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

ShawnD wrote: I'd like to think of you putting effort into this is 10000X better than any ice fisherman ( the polluting ones ) leaving their garbage under the snow to only end up in the bottom of the lake come spring.
I agree, couldn't be any worse than all them bass fisherman (polluting ones) tossing their used plastics in the water to sink to the bottom. lol

I'd be sure to contact the MNR & get they're perspective.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

smitty55 wrote:The White Lake Stewardship Project along with the White Lake Preservation Project and Watersheds Canada did some major work on the lake in the last few years. Many tons of gravel for spawning beds around the lake and I'm also thinking they may have anchored bundles of used Christmas trees around the lake as well. I recall seeing pics of the huge barge they had out there.
If you were to contact Adam Pugh from Adam's Outfitting I'm sure he could provide you with some info.

Cheers

YUP:

http://www.insideottawavalley.com/commu ... -some-tlc/

Says:
- 10-foot brush bundles, tied and anchored to cinder blocks
- 16 bundles and 19 recycled Christmas trees

E
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

If it's for habitat rehab I'm all for it. Otty, Pike and a few others have done lots of work to help with spawning beds that is paying off already in their returns. That's cool. Most of the issues they're dealing with is prime habitat being silted over.

Can't see the harm in dropping a few goodies for yourself to fish but I personally wouldn't expect it to be the golden nugget that you'd think. Maybe if you were able to add to existing structure to create a "spot on a spot" that would be better than just throwing a crib in middle of nowhere.

RJ
rowlzies
Participant
Participant

Post by rowlzies »

Great feedback folks, appreciate it.

RJ - Silt is an issue. Which is perhaps why I'm opting not to try riverstone at the moment. Will have to continually monitor it though. And I'm tempted not to go "spot on spot" in fear of ruining already decent structure / vegetation. Maybe as I get more confidence with this I'll try it out. This is a long term project.

Open to other rehab ideas too if there are any..! :)
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

rowlzies wrote:Open to other rehab ideas too if there are any..! :)
Buy tackle, then buy more tackle...I usually get a good fix by doing that lol.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

Years ago, I was assisting an older cottager on Danford lake with lawn cleaning chores. He asked that I keep all the shrub trimmings and tie them into large "bouquets" using rope. This puzzled me but he explained that he tied a rock to the base of each, rowed them out into the lake to drop them to the bottom.
Interesting. The next day I dove on the site where he had a dozen or so of these in 20' deep water. It was much fun seeing bass hanging around that I took a rod down with me, and scuba gear, and actually caught fish in front of me on the bottom. Almost choked laughing, but it seriously works.