Sunscreen VS Helix 7....Any solutions??

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Sunscreen VS Helix 7....Any solutions??

Post by Grizzly Grub »

Problem, I installed a brand spankin' new Humminbird Helix 7 this year, and on day friggin' one out on the water, I decided to do the responsible thing (I could hear my better half in my head, PUT ON SUNSCREEN) which I rarely do. Well, while I've avoided any nasty skin cancer, I didn't avoid getting sunscreen splatter all over my Helix. It was one of those 30+C sunny days, and it seems the the sunscreen has pretty much burned itself into the plastic, although I attempted to wipe it off as quick as I could. Now I haven't taken any drastic measures as of yet, as I'm looking for any advice, surely I'm not the only one that this is happened to. I've tried only two things, 1)Baby wipes-non alcoholic and 2) a very tiny amount of isopropyl alcohol, neither with zero effect, if anything the ISO enhanced it.

Does anyone have any tips? it would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by Grizzly Grub on Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Sunscreen VS Helix 7....Any solutions??

Post by toobinator »

I will call my rep tomorrow to see if he has any ideas. I would guess one of those Armorall wipes, but would be nervous about getting any on the screen. It has an anti-glare coating on it that you don't want to remove.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Did the same with insect repellent one night with my 858 and it is there still to this day. As long as it is showing on the screen what you are looking for just consider it as beauty spots
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I have used ammonia to good effect to whiten old plastics and remove brown spots. Not sure how it would work on black. Kinda agree with above poster that if it ain't broke...
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Post by Grizzly Grub »

toobinator wrote:I will call my rep tomorrow to see if he has any ideas. I would guess one of those Armorall wipes, but would be nervous about getting any on the screen. It has an anti-glare coating on it that you don't want to remove.

Ed

That'd be awesome Ed, I truly appreciate it. I did try the armour all...no dice though. At the end of the day if nothing works, I'll just suck it up...it just really blows as it was brand new, and rarely do I buy myself such a present....only to make a mess of it on day one! C'est la vie
ImageImage
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

I cannot see your pic (blocked at work) but I would try the following:

On the textured plastic casing, try a solution of dish soap (Dawn recommended) and warm water. Use an old toothbrush to really work it into the tiny little textured bumps. Wipe with a damp (not sopping wet) cloth a few times. This should break up the oils of the sunscreen and remove it.

On the screen - same as above but use a microfiber cloth instead of a toothbrush, as the plastic bristles of the toothbrush may be too abraisive (and there's no texture on the screen to "get into").
Jason Daoust
Participant
Participant

Post by Jason Daoust »

Not sure how to get it off but a way to prevent it and keep the better half happy is to wear long sleeves. Under armour makes a great lightweight shirt that is uv protectant along with many jerseys out there. I know sail normally has some gloomis jerseys that are very comfortable and you do t get burnt. I don't allow sunscreen or bug spray on my boat . It wrecks everything , eats line, and contaminates lures.

Jason
Of all the liars in the world fishermen are the most trustworthy!
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Post by Grizzly Grub »

curls wrote:I cannot see your pic (blocked at work) but I would try the following:

On the textured plastic casing, try a solution of dish soap (Dawn recommended) and warm water. Use an old toothbrush to really work it into the tiny little textured bumps. Wipe with a damp (not sopping wet) cloth a few times. This should break up the oils of the sunscreen and remove it.

On the screen - same as above but use a microfiber cloth instead of a toothbrush, as the plastic bristles of the toothbrush may be too abraisive (and there's no texture on the screen to "get into").
Thanks for the tips, I did try the solution of dish soap, and also Ed's recommendation of an armour all wipe. I'd have to say, it did improve slightly, probably about 20%. Fortunately the "stain spots" didn't incur any damage to the screen itself, I managed to wipe the sunscreen off immediately at the time, but in terms of the black plastic, it's almost as if the sunscreen immediately "fused" to it.

One other thing to note, the picture makes it look much worse than it actually is. I took the photo under a special Cool white OTT light that the girlfriend has for doing intricate craft work, and it brings things out significantly. Under normal lighting conditions, it's not half as bad, if it's cloudy outside you'd almost have to be purposely looking for the damage. Either way, my OCD won't let this go, and am determined to do my best for a resolution.
ImageImage
curls
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by curls »

Grizzly Grub wrote:
curls wrote:I cannot see your pic (blocked at work) but I would try the following:

Thanks for the tips, I did try the solution of dish soap, and also Ed's recommendation of an armour all wipe. I'd have to say, it did improve slightly, probably about 20%. Fortunately the "stain spots" didn't incur any damage to the screen itself, I managed to wipe the sunscreen off immediately at the time, but in terms of the black plastic, it's almost as if the sunscreen immediately "fused" to it.

One other thing to note, the picture makes it look much worse than it actually is. I took the photo under a special Cool white OTT light that the girlfriend has for doing intricate craft work, and it brings things out significantly. Under normal lighting conditions, it's not half as bad, if it's cloudy outside you'd almost have to be purposely looking for the damage. Either way, my OCD won't let this go, and am determined to do my best for a resolution.
Last resort?
https://www.amazon.ca/Mothers-06112-Bla ... B00GZLMEN4

Try on the back to see how it reacts to the plastic first.
I've used this before on cars and it works well.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

My rep didn't have any answers but he did suggest to try this number. 1 800 633 1468. It's the consumer technical service at Humminbird. If anyone had the answer, they would. You might have to sit on hold for a bit.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
barney
Participant
Participant

Post by barney »

I hate to say it but its likely there for good. I did the same thing to my minn-kota trolling motor. It was new! just out of the box. Goes back a few years now. Prior to that I did the same to an inexpensive rod. It took me a while to learn!!!! It (insect repellant) eats into anything plastic. But you need the stuff especially in June when there is no breeze. Now I spray up good before going on the water and wash my hands with soap & water before going out. It protects anything plastic I come in contact with tackle etc. Latex gloves is also an option.
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Post by Grizzly Grub »

curls wrote: Last resort?
https://www.amazon.ca/Mothers-06112-Bla ... B00GZLMEN4

Try on the back to see how it reacts to the plastic first.
I've used this before on cars and it works well.
Possibly....I have other similar compounds laying around, something to think about. I may be better off just living with it, which is fine. Using those strong chemicals gives me the heebeegeebee's. I could only imagine it initially looks great, then come summer there is some chemical reaction from the heat of the sun and it turns the unit bright orange due to stuff I've wiped on. Thanks for the tips though
ImageImage
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Post by Grizzly Grub »

barney wrote:I hate to say it but its likely there for good.
I believe I've come to terms with it :-( It's all good though, I've got my health ;-D
ImageImage
Grizzly Grub
Participant
Participant

Post by Grizzly Grub »

toobinator wrote:My rep didn't have any answers but he did suggest to try this number. 1 800 633 1468. It's the consumer technical service at Humminbird. If anyone had the answer, they would. You might have to sit on hold for a bit.

Ed
Thanks for checking with your rep Ed. I gave them a call, by the sounds of it I'm S.O.L. They don't really have any solutions for me, other than sending it in and having the casing replaced, which I don't think it's really worth dolling out the $ for, it's just an aesthetic issue, and it's really not as bad as the picture makes it look. I'm going to try a few other things that were mentioned to me, i.e. vinegar/water solution, orange peel...some mild homemade remedies, probably steer away from anything harsh.

thanks again
ImageImage
FishingFreak13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FishingFreak13 »

One thing you could try is to try and find a touch up paint at a hardware store and take a very tiny brush to the spots. I know it probably isn't the best option but just a suggestion i thought of.

Brian