Big Gull Lake Ice fishing

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SMS
Participant
Participant

Big Gull Lake Ice fishing

Post by SMS »

I'm heading to big Gull Lake in a couple weeks to a friends cottage and we were hoping to try a little ice fishing. He talks about the great walleye fishing in the spring summer and fall but says he hasn't ice fished since he was a kid with his grandfather. Apparently they used to do quite well. The cottage is at the east end of the lake near the public boat launch. Does anyone have any tips for the lake?
SMS
Participant
Participant

Re: Big Gull Lake Ice fishing

Post by SMS »

I'm hearing people are fishing Thompson's road and Newtons bay.
procrafter12
Participant
Participant

Post by procrafter12 »

look up the slot size before you go, and be careful of springs. Gull is spring fed and can be a dangerous lake to be on the ice. Also east end empties into a river that leads to crotch and the ice can be a bit sketchy by the mouth.
SMS
Participant
Participant

Post by SMS »

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely check out the slot size and and ice conditions like you said. The bait shop in flinton had some tips also. I'm wondering if we should target walley or pike, apparently finding a clear weed line is the key.