Where can I get Auger blades sharpened

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Where can I get Auger blades sharpened

Post by Canmoore »

Hey! I am wondering where in the city I can get my manual Auger blades sharpened? They are pretty full, and last season was hell trying to drill holes in the ice!

Thanks in advanced!!
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Where can I get Auger blades sharpened

Post by Doug »

In general, hand auger blades do not sharpen very well. And if you don't get the angle EXACTLY right, you will just end up polishing the ice. I have sharpened blades that I most certainly could have shaved with, but they were useless for drilling ice holes. So I generally buy a new set of blades when the old ones are an exercise in frustration.

Having said that, some local fellow DID find a machine shop or similar, where they WERE able to sharpen his old blades.

Good luck!

Doug

edited to add:

I found that note I had, from 2009, so it may no longer be valid. The place that did sharpen auger blades, and very well, was:

EDDY'S Saw & Tool Sharpening - 613-386-3755 at 6298 Highway 2, Odessa ON.

Doug
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

Saw a real neat trick for toothless blades on YouTube. The contributor does water research and has several augers on the go used by the team.

Sounds like they're hard on blades.

He uses the buffing wheel on the bench grinder. He uses the green abrasive stick from a polishing kit. Holds the blade with vise grips and buffs the edge of the blade. The buffer follows the angle of the blade so the angle stays the same.

I had a polishing kit that I had bought from Princess Auto. I didn't have a green stick so I used white.

I was impressed. See what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehItnNqI_7k
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

Thanks man, I should try this!
Happy Hooker
Participant
Participant

Post by Happy Hooker »

I have been using a place in Ottawa for a while , they do a decent job on my Jiffy blades, they might be worth while trying out.

The Sharpening Shoppe
333 Catherine Street
(613) 234-6604

Hooker
Fish-Master
Participant
Participant

Post by Fish-Master »

They sell a sharpener on Amazon although I have never tried it, I may be trying it out as the price of blades have gone through the roof. If I do try it out I will let you know how it goes. Cheers
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Fish-Master wrote:They sell a sharpener on Amazon although I have never tried it, I may be trying it out as the price of blades have gone through the roof. If I do try it out I will let you know how it goes. Cheers
if that is the hand-held thing with plastic handles you may as well save your money (and your time)................
Fish-Master
Participant
Participant

Post by Fish-Master »

Doug wrote:
Fish-Master wrote:They sell a sharpener on Amazon although I have never tried it, I may be trying it out as the price of blades have gone through the roof. If I do try it out I will let you know how it goes. Cheers
if that is the hand-held thing with plastic handles you may as well save your money (and your time)................
Yah i ended up reading the reviews on them, they were mixed but all in all seemed like a waste, Thanks Doug
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Buy a new set!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Canmoore »

My friend is a machinist, and he is taking them to his shop to resharpen them!
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Canmoore wrote:My friend is a machinist, and he is taking them to his shop to resharpen them!
I will be most interested to hear how they turn out!

I was thinking again about this query, and remembered writing to Normark back probably in the 80s to see if they would sharpen their own blades. The response I got back was that they would do this service, for such and such a charge, but that honestly, even their own techs could not sharpen them as well as a new set. So Normark's recommendation at that time was to spend the extra few bucks and buy a new set. The fact that they took the time to answer my letter, and gave me that answer, made me believe that they were being straight-forward with me. I don't believe that it was just a "leave us alone and buy new blades" kind of response.

And I am willing to bet that ANY response to a similar company these years will receive no reply at all. Like the one I sent to HT Enterprises about a faulty ice rod, they never even bothered to reply.........

Doug
EagleEyesFlash
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by EagleEyesFlash »

I sent a set of 8" manual blades by mail to get sharpen about 10 years ago.
Think cost was about $10.00 total and I was sent like 3 sets of blades back !
Have a set of 8" Fin Bore 3s, the curved ones if some wants.
There use to be an address on a panflet in the box for most augers.
Don't know if that service available still.
There's other mail in sharpening places..check web. here's a NY one.

https://www.fish307.com/auger-blade-sharpening/

Yeah new blades like $50, may as well get a new auger.

I just found recently some 6" Normark blades for $5.00 in a CTC clearance bin, too bad no 8".

I've shesischromed ( fancy chrome polish from Germany /have to look up proper spelling of that too ) buffed my blades, working fine.
Just don't lend out esp. if ice build up on underside.

Brent
Snag or Fish , Weed or Fish , Oh Fish On
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I used to pass my sharpener( they used to be a sponsor of sort for F-H) You could buy those sharpeners at CTC. They had an orange handle on them. I used to gently remove the small burr on the sharpened edge of the blades and they would come back to original (or very close to it)

The Speedy Sharp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNZYyR-tEgo
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Wallyboss wrote:I used to pass my sharpener( they used to be a sponsor of sort for F-H) You could buy those sharpeners at CTC. They had an orange handle on them. I used to gently remove the small burr on the sharpened edge of the blades and they would come back to original (or very close to it)

The Speedy Sharp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNZYyR-tEgo
I have never seen one of those, but the video looked good........................ :wink:
MikeW
Participant
Participant

Post by MikeW »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehItnNqI_7k

I tried this, it worked really well on a set that were just starting to get dull.