Where can I get Auger blades sharpened

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
BC FD
Participant
Participant

Re: Where can I get Auger blades sharpened

Post by BC FD »

Watched the video last week and went to Canadian Tire and spent about $12 for the buffing wheel and compound. Haven't used my auger in about 20 years , it's been banging around in the basement. Spent 15 minutes polishing and put the blades back on and no go.
Spent another 15 minutes and away we go.
Drilled about 20 holes up around Calabogie and no problems. Took about 30 seconds to go the depth of the helix. Beats heck out of spending $50 for a new set.
It takes a little time and a bench grinder but it is quite easy.

Mitch.
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

I've buffed my blades a few times now. Works great. Nicked my finger today taking my blade cover off. The blades are sharp!
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by JZ »

riverdog wrote:Buy a new set!
This is my method! And it works out to be cheaper than resharpening

I've tried to sharpen myself and I have taken them to a shop that does mower blades and end result was I wasted my time. I would be willing to bet more blades are ruined by dings, bends and rust than dulling due to cutting ice.
Iam on the ice a lot and punch a lot of holes with both hand auger in early season and power auger the rest of the winter. One thing I have learned is if you take care of the blades they will last a long time. Iam on season 3 with my power auger blades and season 4 with hand auger. I expect to get 5 seasons out of each. Couldn't guess how many holes on these blades but it would be in the 1000s and the blades are still going strong. After every set of holes I punch whether it's 2 holes or 20, the first thing I do is wipe down the blades and put the guard back on. And I repeat this for every set. It is so easy to ding a blade by putting it down on the ice, hitting it with your sled, ice scooper or whatever. Putting the guard on it will save the blades and possibly a cut too. When I get back home I wd40 the blades before storing the auger until the next time out. When I store it, the blades, even when in the guard, are never touching the ground because if it's supporting the weight of the auger it will eventually bend the blade. When you do need to replace blades find them on sale in the spring usually $25-$30 instead of $50. If you only need to replace them every 4-5 yrs it's pretty easy to wait the stores out and find a good deal. I wish I figured this out when i first got my auger, instead I was replacing the blades every year, that can get expensive.