How to Determine an Ice Fishing Spot? (Question)

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
SmokeyFume
Participant
Participant

How to Determine an Ice Fishing Spot? (Question)

Post by SmokeyFume »

Hey Folks,

I'm a novice ice fisherman with my first outing this year on the Rideau. The spot I picked seemed fantastic, we picked it outside of the river bend, we drilled over and between two depths, 8-15Ft. There was nice current. All using Google Maps and Navionis Webbapp. Unfortunately we struck out! Trying to target Walleye.

I've been doing some reading about water eddies, seems like a great place for fish to settle behind a big Island formation so not to exert a lot of energy in the current during Winter. Like Setting up NW of Bate Island, thoughts?

How do you guys determine a good spot?
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Re: How to Determine an Ice Fishing Spot? (Question)

Post by fishingcarpenter »

You're on to something... Keep looking for structure of any kind, put in the leg work try new spots give more promising spots more chances, different bait, presentations, time of day etc... There are a lot of good honey holes out there waiting to be found.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

One thing to consider Smokey as you are targeting Walleye is time of day. You could sit in a spot all day with no action but come the last hour of the day the run comes through and you strike gold. This is certainly true on the Ottawa so I would expect the same thing on the Rideau. Mind you it is nice to have some Perch and Pike action through the daylight hours to at least give some confidence in the spot.
Like FC said, keep at it, put the time in and things will likely work out for you. One last thing is to find areas where other guys are fishing and you see shacks getting put out. That's usually a good sign.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Go late on a Sunday, with no snowfall, after a weekend of others fishing. Follow ATV tracks and footprints, Look for blood on the ice around recent holes.
Fish seem oddly attracted to blood on the ice. :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

smitty55 wrote:One thing to consider Smokey as you are targeting Walleye is time of day. You could sit in a spot all day with no action but come the last hour of the day the run comes through and you strike gold. This is certainly true on the Ottawa so I would expect the same thing on the Rideau. Mind you it is nice to have some Perch and Pike action through the daylight hours to at least give some confidence in the spot.
This is so bang on it's crazy. We could really cut down on the amount of time on the ice and just fish prime time everyday and I bet we wouldn't be missing much. Last two hours of daylight if I had to choose.

RJ
Lunker Larry
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lunker Larry »

When the sun is on the tree tops. Trigger for prime time.
fishingcarpenter
Participant
Participant

Post by fishingcarpenter »

Out4trout wrote:Go late on a Sunday, with no snowfall, after a weekend of others fishing. Follow ATV tracks and footprints, Look for blood on the ice around recent holes.
Fish seem oddly attracted to blood on the ice. :lol:
Haha! This is actually great advice...