Silver Lake Ice

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Silver Lake Ice

Post by scarkner »

Anyone been out near Silver Lake (near Sharbot Lake) recently?

It tends to ice over late in the season for some reason, just wondering if it is frozen enough for some fishing? Would like to head over there this weekend...
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Silver Lake Ice

Post by smitty55 »

Steve my neighbour has two cottages on Silver, (one he purchased a while back for company and privacy), but I don't think he's been up there yet. I'll check with him tomorrow for you.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Hey Steve. I actually got a call from Jimmy today to help with a very strange acting coon that was hanging right around the house in daylight hours and showing no fear. Looked fat and healthy but not real lively. We all have dogs out here so sick coons are a real concern. Anyway, it all worked out fine, and I think I just created a new 410 fan lol. :D

So I queried him for you. It turns out he was at the lake last weekend and the shoreline in his small bay was not safe. He told me the reason it always freezes late is because it's a spring fed lake. As such, there is much variation in ice thickness around the lake, so early season specially it's touchy and not worth the risk. He always waits till mid season to feel good touring around.

Bottom line is he said he wouldn't bring kids on the ice on Silver this weekend. So have fun at your shack, the January full moon has always been a prime week to take advantage of out there for sure. Those were the times where we'd stay the extra hour or two more than usual as the run seemed to stretch out some. Bigger ones later.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Thanks for the feedback. Yup silver freezes and thaws faster than Shirley s bay!
RyanW
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by RyanW »

Silver is totally fishable. 8-12 inches on the lake. The shore is soft in spots mostly around rocks. Me and about 15 others on it yesterday. Not one fish was pulled up that I seen.
613 Ice Fishing
On Facebook
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Choke wrote:Silver is totally fishable. 8-12 inches on the lake. The shore is soft in spots mostly around rocks. Me and about 15 others on it yesterday. Not one fish was pulled up that I seen.
LOL - yeah, that sounds like a typical Silver Lake ice fishing day. I once had 30 freinds out there for an ice-fishing party... not even a perch!
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Hi guys,

One of my friend adviced me to go to Silver lake for white fish!
Is it right? Actually I don't know what kid of fish over there,
Any advice

ASK
Just Dive................
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

ASK wrote:Hi guys,

One of my friend adviced me to go to Silver lake for white fish!
Is it right? Actually I don't know what kid of fish over there,
Any advice

ASK
Whitefish are meant to be in there... I have never caught one. If your friend has any advice on where/when/how to catch them, I sure would love to hear it :-)
Trilynx
Participant
Participant

Post by Trilynx »

Been out there twice and never seen a fish come out of a hole. Just a nice relaxing day..

Steve
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I've never heard of Whiteys in Silver though it wouldn't shock me as most of the lakes around there have them.

Sucks to hear of the slow fishing out there, I've had some incredible Perch fishing out there in past years.

RJ