Beginner Tips

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Harcombe9923
Participant
Participant

Beginner Tips

Post by Harcombe9923 »

Hey folks, if you had to give advice to someone who was just starting/wanted to start, what would you tell them? Assume that they'd be buying their first rod & reel and everything that comes with starting out. Where would you tell them to start?
If your rod ain't bending you're just pretending.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Beginner Tips

Post by jsdx »

Well, depends on the fish you want to catch but assuming local shore fishing, rivers, lakes for bass, pike, walleye, panfish - your first rod/reel will be a 6 or 7 ft medium action spinning rod and some reasonable reel (Shimano or Abu). Buying a combo would be ok up to about 100bucks would do it. More if you're loaded.... If you have friends who fish, buy what they have if they like it and you try it and like it. If your friend fishes, have them take you and try stuff out.

For beginners, load the rod with mono - 10 lb test and be done. Fancier lines, are worth it in my opinion (fireline 10 or powerpro 20).

Then get a small tackle box or bag and load with a few lures (at first, more will come for sure when you're addicted).

Get a couple inline spinners (Bluefox #2, #3 or Mepps Black Fury #2, #3, or Mepps Aglia long) in colours you like.
Get a couple spoons (Red Devil, or Mepps Syclops #1, or #2, Little Cleo (trout)
Get a topwater that is easy to use --- jitterbug which you just toss, and reel back in slowly... You can also get a POP-R but then you need to learn to pop them just right.
Get a weedless topwater rat for close to shore weed fishing. This one usually needs stronger line for fish in weeds but it's a great lure.
Get some jigs, quarter oz, yellow or black, and some yellow twister tails... Walleye jigging here we come.
Get some snap swivels so you can change lures. Eventually you'll tie direct for most but beginners - makes it easier.

For bass, in mostly open water (fewer weeds) - get some 4/0 or 5/0 hooks, some "senkos" or clones and hook em whacky style (google it) - cast out, let sink slowly, hold on!

Live bait fishing - worms or minnows
Get some bobbers, small hooks, and some lead split shot --- if you're a shore fisherman, get slip-bobbers and go online to figure out their use. You can cast from shore and get your lure at the right depth less awkwardly than the fixed-attach bobbers (like those read and white ones).
Bottom bait shore fishing - get a pickerel rig and a weight - toss rig, wait for a bite, reel in !

Get tools - line cutter (save your teeth) and a pair of fishing pliers.

Find a shore spot, not too many weeds initially, no big current, just go and cast out, crank back, any of the above (spinners, or spoons, or topwater). See what happens.
For bait, and relaxing, hook a work under a bobber or the pickerel rig, goto a shore spot cast out, wait and reel in your catch.

Go fishing. Determine what works, decide what lure you may be missing, go back to store, buy more - repeat :)

Have fun
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

And find someone to fish with. You will even see open seats on boats, invitations for catfishing meet-ups and other stuff on this site.

Specifics are good, like "i want to try night fishing for gar pike, is anyone willing to let me tag along".
Alex Bull
Participant
Participant

Post by Alex Bull »

If you are looking to try tournament fishing there is always the Renegade Bass Pro/Am event.

I have learned the most just going out and fishing with someone. Whether they have an open seat, or guys practicing, or even going out with RJ on a guided trip.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

Any rod and reel will do to get out. Always have extra line and or spools. Tangles happen alot. Embrace them. To start, go cheap and then upgrade. Having 2 combos helps with keeping line in the water when one is tangled.
And read the Regs. Memorize the regs or carry a copy...because if you are fishing along banks or where others frequent, you will have people come by and question you and tell you that you are doing something wrong, at times when you aren't. Being informed is good.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Alex Bull wrote:If you are looking to try tournament fishing there is always the Renegade Bass Pro/Am event.

I have learned the most just going out and fishing with someone. Whether they have an open seat, or guys practicing, or even going out with RJ on a guided trip.
Thanks Alex. Whether you book a trip with myself or any other reputable guide you have the opportunity to learn a ton. Watching people evolve into better anglers as I see them year after year is the most rewarding part of guiding.

RJ