Ice thickness Mississippi Lake zone 18

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mississippi Mudslide
Participant
Participant

Ice thickness Mississippi Lake zone 18

Post by Mississippi Mudslide »

Talking with other fishermen, the ice varies in areas on the Ol' Miss from 7-10 inches depending upon your location.
Villages of ice shacks are starting to appear at Grasshopper Point, Pickerel Point and around Abbey Woods' s....
Snowmobile and ATV tracks are more predominant now that we've had a cold snap.
Still don't want to see vehicles yet, experience dictates that you can go through the ice where current creates soft spots! Been there...done that!
Good luck with your fishing endeavours but remember NO FISH is worth a LIFE!
Mississippi Mudslide (M.M.)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ice thickness Mississippi Lake zone 18

Post by RJ »

Thanks for the update! Best of Luck to all those who fish the Miss. Live 15 minutes from it and rarely hit it on the ice. I'm dumb I know... :lol:

RJ
Mississippi Mudslide
Participant
Participant

I was out from Father Point Rd (Loon Lane) fishing yesterday...donated a few minnows to some hungry fish...never got them to the hole to see what was below, but suspect Pike the culprit for the hit and runs.
Having said that, the ice level is comprised of about 5" black ice and the rest (about 5" of poor white ice).
I still would not recommend any large motor vehicles driving on the ice. (There is topwater slush now and with the warm weather and impending rain, best to stay clear with any motorized vehicles).
Given the cold snap again Friday, I'll be back fishing and give an update again.

I was speaking with a local who lives on the lake, who said he saw a truck on the ice, the guys were drilling holes as they went with the truck....hit a spot with only 6" of ice...backed off the lake ASAP! Just goes to show you that current can play havoc with ice thickness!

Be safe! Until Friday!
Mississippi Mudslide ( M.M.)
Last edited by Mississippi Mudslide on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mississippi Mudslide
Participant
Participant

Ice thickness Taylor Lake & Clayton Lake zone 18

I was out checking some old fishing haunts and decided to see how the ice thickness is on Taylor Lake zone 18.
Not surprising, it is about the same as the ol' Mississippi...roughly 5" black ice and 5" poor white ice.
There are truck tracks running across the lake from the 12th line, from a small truck. Certainly not my idea given the lack of good solid ice. Whoever it was, made it...luckily...

I spoke with some fishermen who were there, who said they were on Clayton Lake zone 18 and the ice thickness is identical to Taylor Lake....(5"/5")...a few fish being caught on both lakes.

Good luck wherever you decide to fish!

Mississippi Mudslide
Participant
Participant

Was along Craig's shore chasing the 'elusive' pickerel this morning (very rare breed - hence the name ..LOL....)
there was 7" black ice and 5 1/2" white ice....in 12-14 ft of water where I was.

A couple of younger-than-me (but who's counting 25+ years...sighhh) were out with an ATV and trailer. Seems like they were returning from putting out a shack across the channel towards pickerel point...didn't get a chance to talk with them to see if they did any fishing or not...(that will be another days adventure...right now I'm past due for my Geritol kicker) hahaha...

Warm weather above '0' "C" this week daytime highs..might make for slushy spots.

Be careful but have fun!
Seany D
Participant
Participant

Post by Seany D »

Any luck on Mississippi?

I have been out a few times, using standard lures such as buckshot or sweedish pimple and a minnow, have tried both in the weeds and out of the weeds, and have only caught 1 small wally.

I have marked a bunch with my flasher after dark, but they never bit.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance! I hope to find them this weekend.

Seany D
Mississippi Mudslide
Participant
Participant

I've thrown my whole tackle box at them....finicky is not even close to describe the fish this year....
I have fished early morning, afternoon, evening till almost midnight...I have seen many fisherpeople leaving empty handed...
I'm fishing all over the lake, trying 1st where I caught the last one before shuffling around to try another spot nearby in the same proximity.
I've used mud minnows, small and medium sized shiners...weighted single hook, jigs, sinking shad raps, little cleo spoons, earie dearies, tip-ups...the list goes on...they don't want to be aggressive.
I fished before storm fronts, during storms, windy days, calm days....
I'm fishing at weed edge, in the weeds and in areas a little farther from the weed edge...

This year has been the hardest I can remember in a few years for catching fish, but that's why they call it 'fishing' and not 'catching'....
From Craig's shore, Black bass/Hunter Bay to the burnt islands to grasshopper point to pickerel point, squaw point and Abby Woods's....I have put a lot of effort into chasing after this quarry.
Now that we have mild weather and a more stable forecast, I'm hoping the bite will be on!
Patience is a virtue....I'm going to keep trying my luck - as bad as it has been...I'm positive there's a good day ahead
before the ice water season ends! I wish you Good Luck!
Seany D
Participant
Participant

Post by Seany D »

Let me know how you make out this weekend! Good Luck! I will be on Dalhousie Lake in the AM and Mississippi in the PM.
Mississippi Mudslide
Participant
Participant

Will do! Good luck on Dalhousie! I haven't fished it in a couple of years...should give my old buddy Dog a dingle and see how the fish are biting...