Does Baitcloud work?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Does Baitcloud work?

Post by MLR »

Was at Cabela's last night and seen a display for "Baitcloud"

There are a couple of video on u tube of guys using them over on lake simcoe.

I would think you would need to drill a hole several feet away from where you are going to jig with a flasher so that the bubbles don't mess with your flasher.

Curious to know if anyone has tried these out? Is it all gimic or do they really work?
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Re: Does Baitcloud work?

Post by Gord »

I think it's a gimmick. You can pound the bottom with a 1oz. jig and achieve the same effect.....just my opinion though. :wink:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Roblin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Roblin »

I'm pretty sure it'll catch fishermen, which is all the seller needs.

That's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

I watched the videos and decided to give it a try. I used it two days in a row on the Ottawa river in a non-current area. The first morning I was not marking any fish so I dropped a bait cloud down. It screws up your Vex for about 20 minutes and then for the next 20 it slowly subsides. Day 1, the fish moved in and I had one of my best mornings this year. The next day I went back to the same spot, dropped another bait cloud, and did not have a good morning. Based on those results I can't say it works or doesn't work but I am going to try it again this weekend and make a decision after that. If anyone else has tried it I would be interested to hear your results/opinions.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Although I have not tried it, I have to believe it is based on what others have done in the past. Crackle, although no longer around by the looks of it was based along the same lines but at a way smaller scale.

If the scent is there, it presents something to stimulate the fish with the popping sounds and colours it produces, chances are you're you are more than likely to catch a fish.

I doubt this will be a game changer by any means but may help in certain situations.

Gord Pyser did an article about it with pretty good results for ice fishing and he seemed pretty happy with it.
http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/Bait_Cloud_Breakthrough
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I bought two to try. I have dropped two balls on two separate days. Didn't catch a thing at the hole I dropped them down.

I am going to try them at night (For Ling) and maybe in a bit more current to spread the sent around.

So far, I am not convinced it's worth the very steep price (only bought them as they were on a 2 for 1 introductory price).
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Skarkner,

What was the price of them? I've seen them for $9.99 for 3 on US sites and $45.00 for 3 on Amazon which would be a little outrageous.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

lape0019 wrote:Skarkner,

What was the price of them? I've seen them for $9.99 for 3 on US sites and $45.00 for 3 on Amazon which would be a little outrageous.
I think it was around 10 bucks, like you said. Each "tube" contains three balls, I assume that's what you meant by "for 3". In my case I got two tubes for 10 bucks on sale, so total of 6 balls.

I got the walleye balls and they smell just like tropical fish-food.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

lol.

Yes, I meant $9.99 for a tube of 3.

Thanks. And that's not a bad deal to try out.
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Having no experience with this product, what about the canister it comes in/the material that you are dropping into the water? Is it biodegradable?
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

From what I read it is totally biodegradable. There is no canister to throw in the hole, just the bait ball itself.There are lots of videos reviews so you can check them out and see what you think. I will give it another try before I make a decision.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Roblin wrote:I'm pretty sure it'll catch fishermen, which is all the seller needs.
Nailed it. :wink: :wink: :D

CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

Unless it becomes the next way to fish.... I'll stick to the old school method! Hey Gord, hope all is well!!!
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

From the video's I have seen so far, it seems to just create some curiosity for fish to come and check it out, then they don't do anything like swim for the bubbles or try to eat any of the flakes.

I am starting to think Gord is 100% on this, I remember when I I was cleaning the ice off a dead stick hole a few years ago and the strainer fell out of my hand and down the hole. Must have created quite a cloud when it it bottom which then triggered a strike as it wasn't long and line was peeling off the reel so I knew I hadn't caught the strainer.

Thanks for the input lads.Might start using a drop shot set up for jigging.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

CCLad wrote:Unless it becomes the next way to fish.... I'll stick to the old school method! Hey Gord, hope all is well!!!
All is very well, dude! Thanks for asking! :D :)