Ice fishing perch or crappie with kids

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Ice fishing perch or crappie with kids

Post by boutchilatouff »

Hey,

Im looking for some advice on where to take my 5 year old son ice fishing for the first time. I've learnt during summer fishing that quantity beats quality when fishing with a kid to keep them busy and interested. I usually take him fishing on the rideau canal and he loves it cause you catch a pumpkinseed almost every cast. Im in Russell and looking to find a spot where we coild ice fish crappie or perch so I could keep him busy but also eat fish as we catch it on the ice. I've tried bringing him walleye ice fishing but the bit was slow and he lost patience quick...like crazy quick.. Lol. Not looking for your honey holes of course, don't care for big fish, just a pointer on where to start somewhere east of town. If I randomly start poking holes in the ice where no fish are found I'll lose my chance at getting him interested.

Thanks

Lucien
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Ice fishing perch or crappie with kids

Post by SteveO »

+1. Same question for me. Shirley's can be slow for the kids.
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

what about Constance Lake off dunrobin rd in kanata lots of pannies and micro pike , crappie at the far end I'm told :roll:
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Post by boutchilatouff »

Thanks Bear,

That's actually one of the spots I had in mind already. Also might try the Nation which is closer to me but not sure how productive it would be for panfish, specifically perch or crappie. Sunfish ia nice for the kid but im sick of it now.. Lol. I want to eat a bit of fish at least (although maybe not so much from the Nation river...)
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Some of the weed beds at Petrie Island will provide regular action for panfish and kids.

Went out once with Yannick and the kids a couple of years back and they had a good time.
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Post by boutchilatouff »

Thanks Zippyfx. I drove by there today to check it out. Wow there is alot of people fishing there! I also checked out Wendover which seems quite similar but with a much smaller crowd (which I prefer) Rockland area in front of the Walmart looks like a nice pan fish spot but there was no fishermen at all there... Which isn't a good sign I guess
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

Baie McLaurin on the Quebec side of the Ottawa river has it all!! It should keep you and the young one busy!
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Post by boutchilatouff »

Lvace wrote:Baie McLaurin on the Quebec side of the Ottawa river has it all!! It should keep you and the young one busy!
Several Quebec friends of mine have told me that. Can we even fish there with an Ontario license? I know we can fish in bays on the river even on the quebec side but this one is almost isolated from the river... Didn't want to chance it without knowing.
BrookieJunkie
Participant
Participant

Post by BrookieJunkie »

Crappie Bay at Petrie island is a good spot for crappies, bluegill, perch...

Now that you bring this up:
boutchilatouff wrote:
Several Quebec friends of mine have told me that. Can we even fish there with an Ontario license? I know we can fish in bays on the river even on the quebec side but this one is almost isolated from the river... Didn't want to chance it without knowing.
I wonder if my Quebec friends can fish crappie bay at Petrie Island with their Quebec fishing licences.
nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

Long Island locks. Good parking with an easy walk onto the ice, tons of perch and you can set up pike lines along the weed edge.
Bytownblue
Participant
Participant

Post by Bytownblue »

Petrie Island is a good safe place to go for Perch, Blue gill and Pike with younger folks and away from the big crowds
Go to the west Bay. I.e. drive over the bridge keep going around the left bend and park in the parking lot on the left.
The bay is on the left with a few huts out about 100 yards or so, walk out.
The huts sit in 15 to 20 of water and you will get lots of slab crappie and perch

Have fun
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lvace »

boutchilatouff wrote:
Yes you can fish both sides of the ottawa river with a valid sport license! Verified this with the Quebec MNR a few years back!

I wonder if my Quebec friends can fish crappie bay at Petrie Island with their Quebec fishing licences.[/quote]

Yes they can as well with a valid Quebec licence! Also verified with the Ontario mnr a few years back!
Ragehunter
Participant
Participant

Post by Ragehunter »

I suggest Long Island Locks on the Rideau River.
I was there on Monday afternoon. I had to take the dog for a walk, so I figured I may as well take her there and punch some holes and see what happens.....kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
I landed approx. 25 perch in 90 minutes of fishing...of all sizes. Nothing big by any means. Only 4 were what I would call keepers, but they were not kept. And for once, I was there alone, with no other fisherman.
First time I have been there in a couple of years. When I went there 2 years ago, I caught 1 mini-walleye, that was it.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!
I'll never apologize for being a hunter (or a fisherman)!
boutchilatouff
Participant
Participant

Post by boutchilatouff »

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I have a few gteat starting points to take the kid out this weekend.

Quick question about Long Island locks. Do you guys fix it above or below it?
seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

Below the dam near the lock.