Long sault parkway

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Long sault parkway

Post by kevinv »

I have a question. I know that a permit is required for use of the picnic and beach area, but is there spots along the parkway that you can park and fish without one? When I was a kid, i remember you had to pay to enter the parkway, and then you could fish almost anywhere you wanted. Now I know it is free to drive through.

Also Is there any good spots near upper Canada Village. I know that the road near the marina had the closed gate last year, and stated no entry allowed. I was surprised that they had done that. That was a good carp spot on that road.

Thanks
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Long sault parkway

Post by CBB »

No free spots to fish in the Parkway and some of the area's are now reserved for the or should I say Carp Outfitter. You can fish down along the Hoople Creek Bridge on Hwy 2 east of Ingleside still. A lot has changed with the new Park Admin's with everything getting locked down to pretty much shut the river down from Riverside Heights all the way to Long Sault. There is limited access at the entrence at Long Sault to the river also. You now need to buy a day pass or one of a few different season passes to access the river. Parkway is now shut down from November to almost May with no access.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I fished it a number of time with no pass.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

zippyfx wrote:I fished it a number of time with no pass.
In the months it's open your suppose to get a day pass to fish along the parkway. Although I don't think they ever really look to see who has one.

It's a shame they close it for the winter. Why not let people enjoy it. I'm sure it could only help some of the business in that area that sell gas, snacks, restaurants, bait & tackle store, maybe even some motels...
Malyon18
Participant
Participant

Post by Malyon18 »

You can access right up to the second causeway by vehicle in the winter, and further by atv or sled. The second causeway is heavily used in the winter for ice fishing.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Malyon18 wrote:You can access right up to the second causeway by vehicle in the winter, and further by atv or sled. The second causeway is heavily used in the winter for ice fishing.
Yes I was thinking from the Ingleside entrance but still why not have the road open...it's a federal park, how much would it cost to run a plow through?
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

riverdog wrote:
Malyon18 wrote:You can access right up to the second causeway by vehicle in the winter, and further by atv or sled. The second causeway is heavily used in the winter for ice fishing.
Yes I was thinking from the Ingleside entrance but still why not have the road open...it's a federal park, how much would it cost to run a plow through?
When the seaway went in and all the land needed taken from people the Goverment kept all affected land along the river so that all local people would have access to the river. In the early 80's while we still had the tackle shop at Ingleside the Parks tried to stop all from fishing at night for walleye. Ed Lumley was our MP then and was at the store often. He is the one that informed us of this entitlement to access along the river and within a week all access for locals was free of charge for day use and also there was to be more boat ramps put in along the river as laid out in the plan. No new boat launches but access was back to allow use of the river. This has been taken away big time in the last few yrs and more locked out area's then ever before. Our MP now will not even talk about it and on the US side of the river all boat launches have been all upgraded with great launch site's and parking by the Seaway Authority, I asked about why they do not do that on our side and the answer was they were denied and just give the money instead. It is a no win situation for fishermen who want to access the river
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

riverdog wrote:
zippyfx wrote:I fished it a number of time with no pass.
In the months it's open your suppose to get a day pass to fish along the parkway. Although I don't think they ever really look to see who has one.

It's a shame they close it for the winter. Why not let people enjoy it. I'm sure it could only help some of the business in that area that sell gas, snacks, restaurants, bait & tackle store, maybe even some motels...
Thanks for the heads up. I just kept driving into the park to fish the boat launches and it never dawned on me stop and get a pass.