HT 2017 Ice Tour - Sail Ottawa, Saturday February 11th

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

HT 2017 Ice Tour - Sail Ottawa, Saturday February 11th

Post by fatluke »

An event not to be missed!!!

MEAT - Grind it, stuff it, smoke it.
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Re: HT 2017 Ice Tour - Sail Ottawa, Saturday February 11th

Post by emeraldpirate »

Don't count on any door prizes from the mentioned sponsors. I attended the cabelas presentation and there was nothing from HT, Navionics or Vexilar. I think the pros keep them and give them to their friends or something.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

I'm not trying to throw stones in a glass house here. In regards to the "Door Prizes" I really don't know why anyone would expect anything? This seminar is "Free" put on by 3 legendary fishermen, and info provided, you could not purchase for any price! If that is not "A Door Prize" in itself, I wonder why people would expect more??? The add also states "Stuff for the kids too!!" I've known Jim for many, many years, and he has ALWAYS looked after the kids first! These guys have hearts of gold, and for them to take their time to offer such a seminar, again, "FOR FREE" I'll be there with my wife, and hope to see many others. My "Door Prize" is getting to hear these guys speak, learn as an angler, and shake hands with some of old, and hopefully new friends.

F.F
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Jim »

Not sure what CABELAS store you were at, but I take great offence to your comment.
I personally tossed out a large box of assorted prizes to the crowd at the end of the event..
Many anglers got several items.
You might want to get your facts in order before you hit send in the future!!!
Perhaps an apology is in line here to ....
Bear
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Bear »

emeraldpirate wrote:Don't count on any door prizes from the mentioned sponsors. I attended the cabelas presentation and there was nothing from HT, Navionics or Vexilar. I think the pros keep them and give them to their friends or something.
OMG, I've been attending these seminars for several years, there is always tons of stuff given away. Whats not given away at the seminars is taken with them so more prizes can be given out at different events, Especially when there are kids involved.
I have contacted BIG JIM for many years now to help out our club Ottawa Region Walleye League, to help with the grab bags we hand out at our Kids Ice Fishing Day.
He has ALWAYS come through in a BIG way, and the others do exactly the same thing.
Not sure what you might expect for door prizes BUT keep the STUFF .... give me a break
:evil: :evil: :evil:
OFAH Zone F 1st Vice Chair
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Big Jim wrote:Not sure what CABELAS store you were at, but I take great offence to your comment.
I personally tossed out a large box of assorted prizes to the crowd at the end of the event..
Many anglers got several items.
You might want to get your facts in order before you hit send in the future!!!
Perhaps an apology is in line here to ....
You tell him Jim as You do a lot for every fishermen and kids out there. My Grand Daughter is skipping a ski trip at school cause she wants to do the casting pond at the Ottawa Sportsman Show that you run.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

CBB: Double check to be certain, but I don't think there's a pond this year. Big Jim could confirm this.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Jim »

You are correct Ed....

I already contacted him :D

The show felt it was time for a change

It's killing me :( :(
emeraldpirate
Participant
Participant

Post by emeraldpirate »

Not trying to offend anyone and especially Big Jim. I'm well aware of his approachable personality. But does the poster not say that "door prizes" will be provided by Navionics, Vexilar, and HT. I have attended seminars by local pros in the past and there were "draws" for prizes including a Sonar/Flasher and Ice fishing rods. When you/ I read the poster I assumed/hoped that maybe they would be doing the same or possibly be offering sales and or discounts on the products from the "sponsors" offering "Door Prizes". In the future I will be sure not to "assume" or expect anything from the sponsors after all we are trying to promote the activity/sport.

My apologies Big Jim

Didn't want to ruffle any feathers
zeke13
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by zeke13 »

emeraldpirate wrote:Don't count on any door prizes from the mentioned sponsors. I attended the cabelas presentation and there was nothing from HT, Navionics or Vexilar. I think the pros keep them and give them to their friends or something.
emeraldpirate wrote:Didn't want to ruffle any feathers
Really? No matter how many times I read your post I still find it insulting knowing those that were there.
If the door prizes are what brings you to these events you're missing the whole point and benefit of the event.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

toobinator wrote:CBB: Double check to be certain, but I don't think there's a pond this year. Big Jim could confirm this.

Ed
Jim sent me a email telling me this and so we are going to Sail instead. Sure going to miss the casting Pond as it was the highlight of the outing each yr along with the minnow races. Maybe if we all send them email Bombs they will come back to the old format for the show.
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Jim »

Thank you Sir.....Apology accepted 110% and its now water under the bridge man!!! :D

Sorry you may have had bad experiences in the past, but believe me...if I request giveaways...they get given away!!!

It is sad that the pond has been cut out by the show, but I assure you I will pursue it big time to hopefully see it back next year.

Regards

BIG JIM...
Christian Gervais
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Christian Gervais »

Fishing shows look like will be a thing of the past here in Ottawa. Less and less every year. Store prefer doing in-store events instead of paying the big bucks and coordinate everything to bring their stuff at the shows. I understand their point of vu but still like the show format. Having gone to the Toronto one last year, we are way behind here in Ottawa. At least we have some store events (just less choices and less presentations).

I find that there is a place for both. Good for you guys on doing yet again another seminar at Sail.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

CBB: Bring her out to Paddletales instead. We will have one of our famous (little bit) doos on that weekend. We'll have lots of sales on, prostaff from companies, as well as free food, fried chicken, veggies and fruit. Big Jim will probably even make an appearance now that he doesn't have the pond to care for. (he can smell chicken all the way from Seeley's Bay) Much more information will be posted as the weekend gets closer.

No door prizes though. lol

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Thanks Ed and may just do that as she enjoyed going to the last one you had. This weather and may have her back out on the boat shortly setting that Humminbird back up.