Jan 22 - Deschene Rapids / Lookout / Westboro - NOT SAFE!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Jan 22 - Deschene Rapids / Lookout / Westboro - NOT SAFE!

Post by scarkner »

The ice around the lookout has been great with lots of thickness and many people skiing, walking and fishing in the area.

However, tonight I was planning to fish Deschene and due to the large amount of open water that has opened up around Westboro beach, the entire ice-sheet has shifted opening up a crack that runs from shore at Deschene Lookout all the way to the rapids. The crack was over 6 feet wide the whole way. Cracks around the shore were also large and variable. Additional cracks were starting to show when I was there.

My biggest concern is that the large crack is going to "skim over" with ice in the next few days. There are actually ski tracks that lead up to the crack, so you can clearly see where people are used to walking and skiiing. It will be very easy to fall through that spot and other cracks. We could also see rapid shifting and opening of new cracks.

I will try to get some photos tomorrow.

Personally, to see how you can go from 14 inches to "nothing" in just one step was a huge eye-opener for me tonight. It is going to be dangerous in that area until we have several solid days of very cold temperatures to heal these cracks with enough ice to safely walk on them again.
Canmoore
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Jan 22 - Deschene Rapids / Lookout / Westboro - NOT SAF

Post by Canmoore »

The way this winter is shipping up, I would not put my money on a solid week of -10 temps! Not to mention we are getting 15cm of snow tomorrow that will not help the ice!
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

thanks for sharing that info i was considering trying near there this week.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

Yuch!

From the Britannia Yacht club... cracks and open water! http://byc.ca/webcam/cam.php

Think we are stuck on the bays for a while.

Rod