Long Lake Tay Valley twp.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mississippi Mudslide
Participant
Participant

Long Lake Tay Valley twp.

Post by Mississippi Mudslide »

I went out with a buddy yesterday to try Long Lake. I have never fished it during the winter, but the lake holds pike, pickerel, small and largemouth bass, perch, and a host of pan fish. There is a summertime undeveloped boat launch with limited parking area...the lake's max depth is 65 ft with a mean avg of 16.5 ft....
Upon arrival, we were met with a plowed snowbank...someone had tried to drive through it at one time, which made for rougher walking to the ice...we took my Fish Trap and cut a couple of test holes to check for ice thickness. There is about 12" of clear, shale ice which was more than sufficient to hold us. We found a small 2-3 person ice shack on the lake between the islands. We set up and tried our luck...I've caught fish in this lake in the summer without a problem. Seems after being there and punching more holes than I cared to count, we left without so much as a nibble! I will go back there in February and try it again...with the storm front coming in today, perhaps the pressure system changes had something to do with it....
We pulled out lots of various weeds. We noted that there are zebra mussels in this lake...can't stress enough the need to be sure to properly clean your boat after each use on the open water so that our invasive species don't ruin all our small inland lakes!
Well, I'm heading back to the Mississippi! If you see me hunkered down in my portable, stop by and introduce yourself!
Attachments
20170117_132527.jpg
20170117_132527.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 905 times
Mississippi Mudslide (M.M.)