Muskrat Ice Derby 2017

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
PikeFisherman17
Participant
Participant

Muskrat Ice Derby 2017

Post by PikeFisherman17 »

http://www.cobdencivitanclub.ca/services.html

One of the best ice fishing tournaments in the area. Hopefully the turn out and weather is good. Also hoping that the fish pick my hut that day.
How many of you guys will I see out?
renaudj2
Participant
Participant

Re: Muskrat Ice Derby 2017

Post by renaudj2 »

Henny for the win!
badbass72
Participant
Participant

Post by badbass72 »

I'll be there with a group of friends. If you see a black Yamaha Grizzly with tracks stop by and say hi
Thanks to all my sponsors: Urban Ford, Urban Sport, Quick Lane Auto Care, Quantum, Strike King, Gourley's Outdoors, Goldwing Automotive, Amsoil, Canadian Tire Renfrew and Demonic Custom Tackle
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

What?/ Live release for trout? Yea that'll work well.
So you're supposed to bring a big Lake Trout from possibly quite deep, put it in a pail of water, transport the fish to the weigh station, have it weighed, and then they actually expect those trout to survive? What an absolutely ludicrous supposition IMO. Even if those fish actually swim away, many of them will die, no doubt about it. What if the fish is deeply hooked and would have been kept even by C&R fishermen? Would they still release it even if they know for sure it will die?

I assume this has been done in past years of this tourney, and it can work for hardier fish like Pike and Perch, but for trout I strongly disagree. Problem is there's no way to prove survival rates, but with trout common sense says it likely wouldn't be very good. It's one thing to release right away, quite another to haul the fish around the lake.

Anyway, that's my rant. :)

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
badbass72
Participant
Participant

Post by badbass72 »

This Derby is meant to be a good time and boost winter business for a small community in their office season which I think is part of the reason so many of the big prizes are done by random draw. The fishing is meant to be secondary to the comradery so they promote catch and release. As you mentioned much more difficult with Lake trout although very few are caught then anyway between the short time and fishable section of water for the Derby. That being said just like in the summer during all other tournaments and events if you catch a fish that isn't going to make it you are required by law to keep it anyway. I know many people there have kept their catch and I know others who come out for the day and don't even enter the Derby...it is a personal choice. That being said hopefully there is another good turn out this year and everyone enjoys themselves...maybe we will even see you there checking things out someday.
Thanks to all my sponsors: Urban Ford, Urban Sport, Quick Lane Auto Care, Quantum, Strike King, Gourley's Outdoors, Goldwing Automotive, Amsoil, Canadian Tire Renfrew and Demonic Custom Tackle
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

badbass72 wrote: That being said just like in the summer during all other tournaments and events if you catch a fish that isn't going to make it you are required by law to keep it anyway.
Can you educate the rest of us on specifically where in the regulations it states you are required to keep a fish that isn't going to make it.

Try explaining to a CO that you have 3 walleye over 50 cm laying on the ice because you didn't think they were going to make it.

Or get caught with a Muskie that is only 40 cm...
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

That's a real conundrum. legally you have to keep it, and legally you can't. A CO once told me, specifically in regards to an undersized musky, that you would be better off putting it over the side of the boat unless there was a CO to witness the catch. That was his interpretation.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
badbass72
Participant
Participant

Post by badbass72 »

The regulations state that it is illegal to let any fish that is legal and fit for human consumption go to waste. In the case of slot size and out of season fish that is open to interpretation but personally I would say if you caught 2 over the slot that died or would die and do it again to a third fish it is time to get some lessons on fish care or take Ed's advice and let the one with the best chance of survival go or take your chances. In this case I was just trying to say if you catch a fish at the Derby that is legal and you want to keep it because you worry it won't make the release keep it. The guys doing the weigh in can't or they'd be over their limits in no time.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Ok, enough! A guy comes on a "Public forum" is trying to promote a derby. He get's a mouth full for what he is only trying to get local or not, to attend. You got a problem with the derby?? I read the link.. Call the number on the link! Don't beat a guy up online for trying to I'm not saying promote, but offer info to others that might want to attend! I get the C&R aspect, I support C&R more than a lot know. I'm sure, if there was a fisherman/woman, whose fish did not make it to try and win a prize, there would be someone who would accept the fish and not let it go to spoil.

Just my 2 pennies.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

badbass72 wrote:The regulations state that it is illegal to let any fish that is legal and fit for human consumption go to waste. In the case of slot size and out of season fish that is open to interpretation but personally I would say if you caught 2 over the slot that died or would die and do it again to a third fish it is time to get some lessons on fish care or take Ed's advice and let the one with the best chance of survival go or take your chances. In this case I was just trying to say if you catch a fish at the Derby that is legal and you want to keep it because you worry it won't make the release keep it. The guys doing the weigh in can't or they'd be over their limits in no time.
Thanks for clarifying you meant that keeping a legal fish would be acceptable at a catch and release derby.

Thanks for providing the wording. " it is illegal to let any fish that is legal" which would imply there isn't room for further interpretation. To be legal, the fish must be caught in season, within slot limit and possession limits.

If there were exceptions to the regulation, they would be published along with all the other exceptions published in the regulations.

I believe Ed's advise was that unless a CO is there to witness it and make a decision, you are best off putting back over the side or back down the hole. Ed didn't imply to take your chances.

I wish the derby well and hope it continues to be successful for the community
trouthunter
Participant
Participant

Post by trouthunter »

well this post went off the rails quickly.

so back to the main topic.
I'll be there. will be fishing the lake for the first time.
i was wondering if i should even bother targeting lake trout or if i should just set up for pike.
What do you guys recommend?
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

"You may register as many fish as you want. Winning person must be present immediately when announced to claim prize, but only one prize will be awarded per contestant for any of the three categories, Pike, Trout, and Perch. All fish entered must be brought to the judge’s stand immediately and alive. Dead or frozen fish are ineligible. The decisions of the judges are final. PLEASE BRING A 5 – GALLON PAIL OR CONTAINER WITH HANDLE FOR YOUR FISH TO BRING THEM TO THE MEASURING STATION ALIVE. PLEASE HAVE WATER IN THE CONTAINER AS THIS IS A CATCH AND RELEASE CONTEST."

Somewhat agree with Smitty's sentiments about the lake trout and don't feel he or anyone was pouncing on anyone else here, but rather stating their thoughts on this. Although, can't imagine this 4 hour tourney on that put-and-take lake doing too much damage to the grey population overall. Would hate to see the idea of it catch on though...

At least this group is hopeful and considerate enough to attempt a catch and release ice derby. Not often the case with ice fishing.
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

goodluck! i wish i could attend.