Where do they all go?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Where do they all go?

Post by Gord »

I've been living on the banks of the Rideau near Merrickville for over a year now. There are lots of Bluegill, Pumpkinseed and Crappie where I am.....IN THE SUMMER. Where the heck do they all go during the hardwater season? I've put in some time searching for them to no avail. Pike, perch and the odd OOS bass....no probs, but panfish? NADA! Any ideas folks?? :| :( :( :wink: :)
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Where do they all go?

Post by zippyfx »

How are the weed beds in the area?
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

There are lots. I've been fishing in 4fow to 10fow. On weed edges.....and right in the beds. I've still got a few areas to try, but I've put in a lot of legwork already. I need a 4 wheeler. :lol: :lol:

Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

In the winter they often school up while suspended over deeper water. You've got to find deeper water somewhere nearby...
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Mississippi Mudslide
Participant
Participant

Post by Mississippi Mudslide »

Have you tried around the boat launch area on River road? I usually go out about 50-60 yards to the right of the launch (away from the bird reserve) and try out in front of the cattails....

Have had success there in the past. Good luck!
Mississippi Mudslide (M.M.)
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I have been asking the same thing for years on Silver Lake - there are literally hundreds at the dock in the summer - never caught one through the ice.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Walleye'm Fishing wrote:In the winter they often school up while suspended over deeper water. You've got to find deeper water somewhere nearby...
Nailed it. I've seen the guys out jigging for Crappie during the day in the deepest basin of a local lake, while we were fishing the 10 -15ft rocky shoreline. I don't think Corey sat still for 10 minutes lol.
But wait until dusk, then the Crappie venture into shallow waters on that same lake. Same on the Miss, or even the Big Rideau area where Rob's panfish derby happens.

So assuming Crappie is the goal Gord, my suggestion would be to find the deepest big basin area around for some daytime run and gun, and then locate the most promising nearby shallow "feeding bay" and set up for an evening/night run into the shallows. You could even predrill a line of shallow holes ahead of time and do a quick move come late afternoon. Some small minnows would be nice for set lines.

I can sense your frustration lol. You'll figure it out no doubt. I mean, this is now your home waters. :)

Good luck finding them. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Thanks for the tips folks..will report my findings, if any. :) :wink:

Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

Hey Gord, I went out with my 3 year old daughter this morning for some pan fish. The first hole that I drilled was in 10 feet of water and I marked no fish. I walked maybe 30 feet out into deeper water. I drilled a hole in 18 feet of water. The fish were STACKED from 10 feet all the way down to the bottom (18 feet). We caught a bunch of bluegill, it was a great morning with my little one.
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Well......I'm done. :lol: Even the perch and pike are few and far between now. What I need is a sled or quad, and that ain't happening this year. Hello, Lower Rideau Lake..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

seahawk
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by seahawk »

How thick the ice in Lower rideau lake will be next week since I only have a regular hand auger and doesn't have a extension bar? Mine could probably drill up to 18 inch and hope it is good to go.

Thanks.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

On Monday the ice was 16" on Lower Rideau where I was...... Gonna be thicker now for sure.