Calabogie trip- room for one or two

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Trilynx
Participant
Participant

Re: Calabogie trip- room for one or two

Post by Trilynx »

Well we were 5 men who woke up bright and early Saturday morning and met up. We threw the gear in the back of the pick up, we all jump in and off we went. A hour and a bit later we arrived at our destination, Lower Twin Lake, a decent walk out onto the lake and we were drilling holes. As the sun came up we were excited to be there and hopeful for some rainbows. Low and behold between the five of us we tried plenty of presentations and bait with no success. Two fish were possibly marked on the flashers but no takers. It was a nice day to be outside in a beautiful area but nonetheless we were skunked...

Maybe next time... Or if someone has a better suggestion for a location?

Steve
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Well Steve it's good to see you guys all got out for a day. That's the main thing right? Shame you didn't catch anything.

The main problem with lakes close to roads is that they tend to get a fair amount of pressure. Tooey lake up the road is another example, although a bud of mine goes up there a couple of times every summer. He actually fishes out of one of those floating lounge chairs lol. Now I guess you could try Upper Twin, or Little Tooeys for a change if you want to walk a bit further as those lakes won't get as much pressure. Another option would be down 508 and try Limestone (not sure what the road in is like) or further down past the Wabun turnoff and try lakes like Scully or Shiner, but again these are lakes with easier access.

Good luck if you get out again lads.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
cgates
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cgates »

Limestone is a good hike from the road bring a buddy with a sled or ATV
Chris
brandon15243
Participant
Participant

Post by brandon15243 »

I myself am always looking for a good trout lake. I am from the Pembroke area and remember as a kid my father bringing me to lemky lake and hammering the brookies but its way fished out now. This season so far I have tried toey lake and a friend I was with caught one within the first 15 mins and that was it, spent the day exploring lower and upper twin lakes with no success, tackled acorn lake near round lake and again no luck. I want to try beechnut lake near round lake hopefully soon (wondering if anyone has fished it?) or go explore the calabogie area. Like some have said what has kept me away from calabogie is charting areas that I do not know but after not catching a brookie or a bow this year yet I am starting to get the itch!
jiggy
Participant
Participant

Post by jiggy »

Hey guys any of you planning on going out again before at month end? I know the blithfield area,most likely need atv or sled. Good to go in big groups.
topten14
Participant
Participant

Post by topten14 »

Looking forward to another outing.
Hopefully Family Day Weekend (Sunday) best for me.
Had fun for first time ice fishing.
Good group of guys from Fish-Hawk.

Shane
"You must lose a fly to catch a trout"
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Trilynx wrote:Maybe next time... Or if someone has a better suggestion for a location?
Location? OK I'll take that a different way and relate it to the lake you happen to be on that day. Now I'm specifically referring to Specks here, but specially later into the winter make sure to check out that shallow soft bottom end of the lake that seems to be common with many of our "backwoods" type trout lakes. Like I'm talking even down to 2 or 3 feet. When good insect hatches happen this is the busiest part of the lake and the trout aren't far behind. Traditional spots are dead. Just something to keep in mind. Plus with 5 guys you can work different depths and cover an area.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter