best Lures?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Sno
Participant
Participant

best Lures?

Post by Sno »

I am getting into fishing for the first time in many years, I live in Ottawa near Hogs Back falls. i am wondering what are the tried and tested and proven to work lures for catching Bass, Walleye, Pike, Crappie and Carp. Let me know what you use, what works, and if you know something that doesnt work let me know that too so i know not to buy it. Much help is appriciated. Thank you.
CanBassK
Participant
Participant

Re: best Lures?

Post by CanBassK »

Hi sno,
I'm a bass fishing guy, and I use A LOT of lures. But there are a few that stand out to me. It all really depends on the time of year, weather, water temp, clarity, pressure, and a slew of other factors. The good news is, it's all very easy to learn!
If you're just getting into fishing, a couple of "easier" baits I would suggest are Texas rigged plastic craws, Yamamoto senkos, and skirted jigs. These are good, time tested approaches to catching bass. However, it really all boils down to where the bass are and what bait/presentation they are looking to eat at any given time, on any given day.

If you would like, when bass season starts up I can take you out to one of my favorite lakes, and show you some tips that'll get you addicted to pulling big bass out of the water.
Taking names, and catchin bass
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

The post above has some really great info in it.

Add some spinnerbaits and a walk the dog baits, a few jigs in 3/8 and 1/2oz and you'll be good to go for a while. With everything, there will be some trial and error. This is predominately for bass but you'll catch a lot of pike and a few walleye on these as well.

I've never really targeted crappie or carp so can't help you out there.
Sno
Participant
Participant

Post by Sno »

CanBassK wrote:Hi sno,
I'm a bass fishing guy, and I use A LOT of lures. But there are a few that stand out to me. It all really depends on the time of year, weather, water temp, clarity, pressure, and a slew of other factors. The good news is, it's all very easy to learn!
If you're just getting into fishing, a couple of "easier" baits I would suggest are Texas rigged plastic craws, Yamamoto senkos, and skirted jigs. These are good, time tested approaches to catching bass. However, it really all boils down to where the bass are and what bait/presentation they are looking to eat at any given time, on any given day.

If you would like, when bass season starts up I can take you out to one of my favorite lakes, and show you some tips that'll get you addicted to pulling big bass out of the water.

Hello CanBassK;

Thank you for the advise? Mind if i ask where is your favorite lake located, i am "mostly" limited to public transportation, but i can often catch rides from others as well, some of who are also getting into fishing. I am definitely going to be looking at these baits you have recommended. Thanks.
Sno
Participant
Participant

Post by Sno »

lape0019 wrote:The post above has some really great info in it.

Add some spinnerbaits and a walk the dog baits, a few jigs in 3/8 and 1/2oz and you'll be good to go for a while. With everything, there will be some trial and error. This is predominately for bass but you'll catch a lot of pike and a few walleye on these as well.

I've never really targeted crappie or carp so can't help you out there.
Hello;

Thank you for the Info, I never heard of a "walk the dog' bait before, going to have to look into that. Thank you for the info about the additional baits as well,. and yes there will be a fair amount of trial and error as well, also talking to local anglers helps. Cheers.
Walleye Ric
Participant
Participant

Post by Walleye Ric »

If your bass fishing with lures I find the Cotten Cordell Big O in various colours works well. I've been luckiest with white. Shak-ee blade worm harness for Walleye if you can find them. Silver and Gold ones have been my best
cul8r
Ric

"Keep Your Stick On the Ice" Red Green
Sno
Participant
Participant

Post by Sno »

Walleye Ric wrote:If your bass fishing with lures I find the Cotten Cordell Big O in various colours works well. I've been luckiest with white. Shak-ee blade worm harness for Walleye if you can find them. Silver and Gold ones have been my best
Hello Ric;

The Cotten Cordell Big O in Pearl / Red eye is already on my list of must haves, it comes highly recommended from a few websites I have been reading.

Trying to look up the "Shak-ee blade worm harness" not having much luck though, I have not heard of this and not finding any resources about it. have any links to them?

Cheers.
CanBassK
Participant
Participant

Post by CanBassK »

Sno wrote:
CanBassK wrote:
Hello CanBassK;

Thank you for the advise? Mind if i ask where is your favorite lake located, i am "mostly" limited to public transportation, but i can often catch rides from others as well, some of who are also getting into fishing. I am definitely going to be looking at these baits you have recommended. Thanks.
My favorite lake is in Gatineau park, but I almost always have room for people in my car.
Taking names, and catchin bass
Sno
Participant
Participant

Post by Sno »

CanBassK wrote:
Sno wrote:
CanBassK wrote:
Hello CanBassK;

My favorite lake is in Gatineau park, but I almost always have room for people in my car.
Cool sounds good, will need day licences for myself & friends (if any) then, as I as well as all the people I presently know are in Ottawa.
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

big o's and spinnerbaits are great. anything top water is alot of fun, frogs,super spooks, plugs are good take a tiny bit of technique but really easy to learn and jitterbug for top water is simple just cast and pull with a pause here and there.
i have to reccomend mepps in-line spinners as well sizes 2-5 work for almost anything you could catch here that isnt a bottom feeder.
for carp or catfish alot of people make dough and use balls, or use afew corn kernals on a hook and let it sit on the bottom. I also met a gentleman that buys liver and lets it sit a day or 2 and then uses chunks of it. This was on the Nation river, we took his advice and caught as many tiger musky as we did catfish and carp.
if you get on a boat going for walleye try bottom bouncers with slow death hooks and worms. a bit tricky at first but well worth the effort.
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

As someone who only started fishing regularly about 3 years ago, the best advice I could give you is to take a few techniques and become proficient at them. I was overwhelmed my first year, and always switching lures convinced I was throwing the "wrong one". Remember that location is one of the biggest factors, try moving spots before you change lures every 20 casts like I did :)

I spent almost a full season last year doing nothing but targeting smallmouth with tubes, and it really helped me learn the finer points. Pick a few techniques and stick with them to start.