rideau river/Ottawa hardwater

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
613wetline
Participant
Participant

rideau river/Ottawa hardwater

Post by 613wetline »

Hey everyone(or anyone?) I've been targeting wallies and getting skunked pretty bad. *any tips or pointers on whats helping others land them?*
i dont drive so im stuck fishing the Ottawa and rideau in city limits. I've fished a bit near lebreton flats, in nepean bay and lazy bay for 4-6 hour periods multiple times with no luck, literally 1 missed hit on a deadstick. 5 outtings, over 20 hours and no fish. im laughing at myself. i have targeted a rock reef and also some drops. WARNING to(if) anyone going lazy bay i was checking thickness every 5 ft becouse i appreciate life and am new to ice fishing. but found that it goes from over a foot of ice to about 2 inches only 3-5 ft away, im guessing its from undertow(there are no swimming signs in the summer that state " caution undertow")
*should i avoid fishing here or proceed with extreme caution? i found nepean bay to have less ice but it was clear and solid.

also i have fished the Rideau near Carleton U especially frustrating becouse yesterday i could see there were 2 diff hut foot prints and close to 20 different holes so i started right by the biggest hut print. bored through easily 16"+ of ice to hit slush and couldnt get a jig to sink past it!! ? . re-set up multiple times before finding a slush free area. still put in about 4 more hours with no luck.
*If anyone that was setup here has any pointers i would greatly appreciate it! ? * or even knowing they got on fish?

im using jipping and rippin raps with minnow, tingler spoon and other spoons aswell with minnow head (williams,vmc..) bucktail jig with minnow. lipless crankbait. i have frozen dead minnow and live worms and gulp minnows. i dont have flasher or finder, next item on the list forsure, then a hut)
usually I've been deadsticking with a gulp minnow+worm or minnow on a jig with a blade that dangles. and jigging with raps or spoons +minnow or worm.. all depths has been roughy 8-12, some slightly shallower. and I'm setting up in the sun and leaving in dark.(7ish usually)
anything i should change up or any helpful opinion is appreciated!!? thanks anyone who actually read all that!
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Re: rideau river/Ottawa hardwater

Post by Gord »

Try to get to the end of Grandview Rd to access Shirley's Bay(there is OC Transpo service). Walk out about 500 yds and you should get walleye and perch(and ling , if you stay later). Best time to fish is 1hr before sunset to 1hr after sunset. 1/4 oz Northland Macho Minnow in Emerald shiner tipped with a minnow head will do the job. Good Luck.

I feel your pain with the Rideau near Carleton U/Brewer Park. Most EVERY time I ever tried it there I had to deal with a slush issue. Not worth it.
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
brent86
Participant
Participant

Post by brent86 »

Hi,

I'm also without car so during the summer I fished a lot and did really well within the city. If your looking for some company let me know as I'd love to do some ice fishing in the city. What about just beyond the first locks on the Ottawa behind Parliament? If anyone can suggest a safe/good spot downtown that would be great!
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Gord wrote:Try to get to the end of Grandview Rd to access Shirley's Bay(there is OC Transpo service). Walk out about 500 yds and you should get walleye and perch(and ling , if you stay later). Best time to fish is 1hr before sunset to 1hr after sunset. 1/4 oz Northland Macho Minnow in Emerald shiner tipped with a minnow head will do the job. Good Luck.
Ding ding ding, you nailed it Gord. :idea: 613wetline If I only had bus service available that would be my #1 spot to target Walleye. That point is the biggest piece of structure downstream of Innes Point. I was only ever there when some buds had shacks there for a few years. Like you said Gord, sort of straight out to the middle of the bay, or another option would be to go straight North for about 200 yd off the tip of the point and find 8-12 feet in some current.

613. If you can work live shiners on set lines for the prime time of the day that will up your odds. Hard when your busing. I've also found that as we get well into Feb the "run" spreads out some, with small "jacks" coming through first. So it's good you've been staying out late. Biggest one I ever caught at Shirleys was also the latest, it was after 8 for sure, I had just already recently caught and released A 5lb ling so I sure wasn't expecting to see gold. That gal was just over 26".
One last thing. You need to fish real close to bottom, way under a foot.

Good luck with it. Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

brent86 wrote: What about just beyond the first locks on the Ottawa behind Parliament?
I wouldn't attempt that. WAY too much current in that area. The ice would be very unsafe.
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

thanks for the responses everyone! behind parliment would be sketchy and scary if there is much ice, i imagine its mostly open. I've been wanting to get out to shirleys bay and petrie but havent had the time to dedicate a day to it. I will be getting to shirleys within the week or so, Thanks! Ill keep close to bottom and give it a pound once in awhile. ill pick up a 1/4 ozmcho minnow next chance i get! thx. the carleton slush really sucked, i noticed someone made 2 large holes 14-16" im guessing thats why.. or possibly spot fishing.
Brent send me a pm if you have a day you'd like company and i will do the same, hoping to get out next weekend
I appreciate the help guys. thanks!