Ottawa River - Deep River to Swisha

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Ottawa River - Deep River to Swisha

Post by Mick »

Hi

I used to fish this stretch of river a lot but haven't been up that way in about 5 years. Stopped going because the walleye fishing was gradually getting worse - numbers were down a bit, size was down a lot. I find the walleye fishing picking up in the river in other places I fish it now that the slot limit has been in place for many years. I am thinking about heading up that way in the fall for 4 or 5 days. Can anyone with first hand knowledge comment on the walleye fishing and whether it has been improving the past few years in terms of size and numbers

thanks. appreciate the insight

Mick
Lvace
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Ottawa River - Deep River to Swisha

Post by Lvace »

I know the stretch well from Deep River to just past the 2nd presque ile . There is a good population as I always find enough to fill our limits but size wise it is still hurting as my biggest so far there is only 3lbs!
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Ottawa River - Deep River to Swisha

Post by Mick »

thanks. I appreciate your thoughts.

The past few years I have been fishing above the swisha dam and find the walleye fishing better. We always get in to a few fish in the 22 - 25 inch range which we used to consistently be able to get below the dam. I really like the stretch of river between presquille and swisha but was wondering how the slot has impacted the fishing.