Kipawa, antler''s kingfisher lodge, bisctasi, lady evelyn...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
baitfish
Participant
Participant

Kipawa, antler''s kingfisher lodge, bisctasi, lady evelyn...

Post by baitfish »

Anyone been to the above? If so just looking for opinion on walleye fishing, overall fishing (other species), lodges, likes dislikes, bang for your buck?

Lodge recommendations?

Any other drive to locations that impressed hawkers?

Looking to book a couple of trips this year??
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Kipawa, antler''s kingfisher lodge, bisctasi, lady evely

Post by smitty55 »

I'm a huge fan of Kipawa. Stayed at Corbeau lodge a few times. Closed now, Eric Lindros owns it. Spent many years at Alwaki Lodge, highly recommended. Pavement right to the boat launch in Kipawa, then a 14 mile run to the lodge. Laker and Walleye fishing. Got my pb Walleye there at 31". Also a few miles further down in Hunters lake is Kipawa Lodge, which consistently gets rave reviews, but I don't know if you could get a spot there as most folks rebook for the next year. Also if you're into Smallies the north end of the lake now has a good population of good size bass. If you want more info check out these forums. http://kipawafishingforum.net/index.php

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

Wayne and Barb at Kipawa Lodge are great people and as Smitty stated, the fishing and hospitality get great reviews. They were my neighbors at the Gatineau Sportsmen's Show two years in a row which leads me to believe that if you get them soon, before Show season you should be able to get a spot.
Yannick Loranger
Owner and Head Guide
Ottawa River Guided Fishing
http://www.OttawaRiverFishing.ca
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

I've been booking two guys weekend trips a year for 20 + years with walleye as a target species. So I read a ton of stuff on different lodges and bodies of water.

Kipawa is an odd place. I've read many reviews of people saying it is great and many other reviews saying it is a big body of water, the fishing has slowed down, it takes years to learn kind of stuff. I've never been and that a result of reading too many reports / reviews commenting on it being a tough fish.

I've looked at Antlers a few times as I love fishing the river but I keep coming back to the same thing. It's pretty expensive relative to what you get from other vendors offering similar services. The other issue for me is although I have a pretty large boat, when I book these weekends we do need to rent boats to accommodate our group. Antlers rents 14 foot boats with a 15 on them. Having spent 25+ years on that river I can tell you that when the wind gets up, you want more boat than that or else you'll be playing cards.

Never been to lady evelyn, it's on my list of places and i'll get there eventually.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Mick wrote:Kipawa is an odd place. I've read many reviews of people saying it is great and many other reviews saying it is a big body of water, the fishing has slowed down, it takes years to learn kind of stuff. I've never been and that a result of reading too many reports / reviews commenting on it being a tough fish.
Mick like any huge body of water there is a learning curve for sure. For newcomers that's where the lodge owners come in to help. But structure is structure, regardless of the water body. Looking for boats anchored around shoals in the evenings is an easy way to start. I know I sure learned a lot from trolling for Lakers during the day.

I haven't been up there in a while now but I do follow the Kipawa fishing forums every year and trust me, if the fishing had declined that much I don't think the Americans that travel up from as far as Texas would keep coming up every year, some of them twice. For instance in this trip report from last summer 4 guys boated 350 Walleye, with their best evening catching 80 fish with several over 20". http://kipawafishingforum.net/index.php?topic=596.0 Now I'm not saying there hasn't been some decline over the years. The fact that there is a slot now shows that there has been some concern, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back, that's for sure.

Kipawa is a gorgeous lake. I always wished I could stay for the extra week. It's huge, but being that it's long and narrow with tons of islands there are fewer massive expanses of big water so it's generally always possible to get out of the wind somewhere.
Plus you can drink beer in the boat. :) A big bonus not having to worry about that like in Ontario.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
barney
Participant
Participant

Post by barney »

Try Alwaki, good fishing, nice cabins, good folks.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

barney wrote:Try Alwaki, good fishing, nice cabins, good folks.
Totally agree Barney. Have ever been up Turtle Chute before? Pretty simple in a small tinner, but with a bigger boat you need to be up on plane with the engine trimmed up or else you'll lose your lower unit. I remember being down at the main dock when a big cruiser got towed in after going through too slow. That was an expensive lesson for sure.
Not for the faint of heart. Here's the tour that the video shows. Knowing what's it's like up there I've watched this countless times. Greg is going 55km and he has the line down pretty good. This year he has a new and bigger boat so I wonder if he'll be as brave now lol.
Just to give an idea of this quick tour.
And the video.

The water is high. Usually the side walls show more than this. I know it doesn't look like it but the drop through the chute is a good 10ft.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

smitty55 wrote:
Mick wrote:Kipawa is an odd place. I've read many reviews of people saying it is great and many other reviews saying it is a big body of water, the fishing has slowed down, it takes years to learn kind of stuff. I've never been and that a result of reading too many reports / reviews commenting on it being a tough fish.
Mick like any huge body of water there is a learning curve for sure. For newcomers that's where the lodge owners come in to help. But structure is structure, regardless of the water body. Looking for boats anchored around shoals in the evenings is an easy way to start. I know I sure learned a lot from trolling for Lakers during the day.

I haven't been up there in a while now but I do follow the Kipawa fishing forums every year and trust me, if the fishing had declined that much I don't think the Americans that travel up from as far as Texas would keep coming up every year, some of them twice. For instance in this trip report from last summer 4 guys boated 350 Walleye, with their best evening catching 80 fish with several over 20". http://kipawafishingforum.net/index.php?topic=596.0 Now I'm not saying there hasn't been some decline over the years. The fact that there is a slot now shows that there has been some concern, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back, that's for sure.

Kipawa is a gorgeous lake. I always wished I could stay for the extra week. It's huge, but being that it's long and narrow with tons of islands there are fewer massive expanses of big water so it's generally always possible to get out of the wind somewhere.
Plus you can drink beer in the boat. :) A big bonus not having to worry about that like in Ontario.

Cheers

I understand what you're saying. Kipawa is a big big lake, has a variety of species, always somewhere to go to get on fish etc. And you gain that knowledge from spending a lot of time on water. I just think if the OP is looking for a one and done type weekend there are options that might be safer in ensuring a fish fry by the end of the weekend. Especially if you are in Ottawa and prepared to drive that far.

cool video. I have a similar sized boat and wouldn't be doing that in it
toddc
Participant
Participant

Post by toddc »

lady evelyn is a beautiful lake and the walleye are plentiful,as are the pike bass and specks . I often fished it and landed many walleye both numbers and size
baitfish
Participant
Participant

Post by baitfish »

Hey toddc,

Can you shed some light on any places you've stayed at and best time of summer or spring to go up when fish are slightly more predictable.
toddc
Participant
Participant

Post by toddc »

pm sent
barney
Participant
Participant

Post by barney »

Yes Smitty55 I have. The first few times with Brian's (from Alwaki) boats then later with mine. Its a good rush going through that pass. Brian explained it exactly as you say. Wide open throttle and stay dead center going through the pass and you'll be ok. On another occasion I also went through Lac Hunter going east, then by Kipawa Lodge, through Edwards Pass, then left and through a shallow channel upstream toward I think its called Turtle Island. My son was leaning over the bow guiding me around boulders and submerged logs. I think there was a dam there a long time ago. No bumps but we took our time. From there we went past "Whispering Pines" outpost, then heading back down through turtle chute. A very nice trip.
I've been to Kipawa many times since 2005. I've stayed at 8 outfitters on that lake. All of them good. I have GPS on my fishfinder which if the bite is off allows me to explore Kipawa. I also have a handheld Garmin as a backup. On one occasion, I left Camp Kipawa (Jody's place) early enough in the day. Brought extra gas. we did 100km touring the lake. Saw other outfitters , private cabins, wildlife, etc. Had a great day
On Kipawa there are lots of places to stay. Some a bit pricier than others. A few you can drive to but most you have to boat out to. Those out on the lake will pick you up. Wherever you go, you will not regret it.
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Yannick Loranger wrote:Wayne and Barb at Kipawa Lodge are great people and as Smitty stated, the fishing and hospitality get great reviews. They were my neighbors at the Gatineau Sportsmen's Show two years in a row which leads me to believe that if you get them soon, before Show season you should be able to get a spot.
Just happened to come across this video today. I've never stayed there but the last two Greys I caught on Kipawa came from the narrows almost in front of their lodge. It was a real windy day blowing right down Hunters Lake and and no boats were going on it. But the fish were stacked up big time. All 3 boats limited out in less than half an hour. Talked to a ministry gal there too who was anchored and taking water samples. Then it was back south for the long trip to Mackenzie camp down by Red Pine Chute. Hardest ride I ever put my 14ft Yukon through by far. Real good thing I had a 20, a 15 would have been touchy on a couple of those stretches.

Anyway, I thought this video gives you all you could ever to need to know while researching a lodge online. I enjoyed watching it, thought it was pretty well produced and reflects the quality of the whole operation. Next time I go up though it will still be Alwaki as my choice, largely based on location in relation to the "Kipawa hub", which gives you tons of options for fishing while being 8 miles closer to town. Hunter's is one of the biggest bodies in the whole system. If it's too windy there I still have plenty of options north.
barney wrote: On another occasion I also went through Lac Hunter going east, then by Kipawa Lodge, through Edwards Pass, then left and through a shallow channel upstream toward I think its called Turtle Island. My son was leaning over the bow guiding me around boulders and submerged logs. I think there was a dam there a long time ago. No bumps but we took our time. From there we went past "Whispering Pines" outpost, then heading back down through turtle chute. A very nice trip.
That would be a nice trip barney. At least 20 miles. It's called the North River passage. The video shows it at one point.
Here's the tour barney mentioned.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
GregM
Participant
Participant

Post by GregM »

Hey Smitty,

YEP! I went through the chute 4 times last week (both directions) with the new boat! Got some great GoPro footage recorded in HD and 4K from different angles.

I finally registered on Fish-Hawk! I guess you are also on Kipawa forum (to know I got a new boat?)!

I love lake Kipawa (I stayed at Alwaki lodge) and did a huge tour to the north end of the lake last Monday - fantastic day, and I visited 7 other Outfitters locations. The new boat worked great all week.

Cheers,
Greg
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

GregM wrote:Hey Smitty,

YEP! I went through the chute 4 times last week (both directions) with the new boat! Got some great GoPro footage recorded in HD and 4K from different angles.

I finally registered on Fish-Hawk! I guess you are also on Kipawa forum (to know I got a new boat?)!

I love lake Kipawa (I stayed at Alwaki lodge) and did a huge tour to the north end of the lake last Monday - fantastic day, and I visited 7 other Outfitters locations. The new boat worked great all week.

Cheers,
Greg
Yea Greg I read your trip report already. Glad to see you're happy with the new ride. Nothing like spending $100 worth of gas on a 1 day tour. I've only been part way up McKenzie to the north and did one trip to the south end but much prefer the hub area. I'm looking forward to the pics and videos once you get them posted. Perhaps you could post some here as well to give folks an idea of how gorgeous Kipawa is.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter