Trout fishing in the Ottawa/Gatineau area

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
CanBassK
Participant
Participant

Trout fishing in the Ottawa/Gatineau area

Post by CanBassK »

Hey guys! Before I begin, I just want to say I'm aware that anglers aren't exactly fast to give up their trout spots. I'm not asking for your honey hole. And I understand completely, hell, I'm not giving up where I target 5 to 6 lb bass either! I get it. Onward with the post.

I recently got into ice fishing. I didn't know if I was going to like it or not, so my buddy went out and bought a $44 hand auger, and we went out and gave it a shot. Only cought 6 small perch, but man am I ever hooked!! Since then we've gotten lures, clothing, tip ups, even a pop up shelter. And now I want to decide what specis to target, being from West Virginia I remember how great it was to fish for trout, and how awesome the fight is, and how tasty the reward is! So that was settled I want to target trout! Lake, brown, rainbow, it matters very little.

But after some research online, it seems I can't find much information at all about where to find trout in the Ottawa Gatineau area. And the interactive stocking map seems to not be working... So my question to you, is where are some areas (clean so I can not worry about eating my catch) that I can target trout through the ice? Ontario/Quebec I have a valid license in both provinces, and a car.

Thank you very much in advance!
Taking names, and catchin bass
ginger
Participant
Participant

Re: Trout fishing in the Ottawa/Gatineau area

Post by ginger »

Pick up one of these:

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/backcou ... untry-maps

It will give you all the info you need. There is a list of lakes and what's in them.
Walleye'm Fishing
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant
Location: Casting..................... in your NOT SO SECRET spot.

Post by Walleye'm Fishing »

This is the site that I use for Ontario: https://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.c ... cale=en-US

As for Quebec, there aren't very many trout lakes that are open in the winter around here. Those that are open face lots of pressure and it's not really worth it...
Walleye'm fishing, you're sleeping.
613wetline
Participant
Participant

Post by 613wetline »

i use that gov. site alot, its pretty awesome.
CanBassK
Participant
Participant

Post by CanBassK »

Thanks everyone! This should help me get started, and hopefully soon I'll be hooking into some trout!
Taking names, and catchin bass