Opimika Wilderness Camps/Cottages

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Opimika Wilderness Camps/Cottages

Post by lapointeric »

http://opimikawilderness.com/

Anyone know of this place? I did a search, and with the exception of 'saskie', no one else mentions it.

It's a 5hr drive from Ottawa, just north west of Temiscaming. Are there other 'wilderness camps' close to there, *known* to be good?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

E
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Opimika Wilderness Camps/Cottages

Post by lapointeric »

Other recommendations for places near Temiscaming?
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

How about Lake Kipawa in Quebec directly due east, just as big and probably better fishing,
...anything to bend the rod
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

scuro wrote:How about Lake Kipawa in Quebec directly due east, just as big and probably better fishing,
Yep, barely 20 minutes from the border to Kipawa. Hey Scuro do you still go up there anymore, I know you used to? For me it's been too long for my liking. Sure do miss my many trips.

If anyone ever goes up there into the hub section I can help with Laker trolling runs and the odd Walleye spot too. Basically from the top of Corbeau Island down to Kipawa lodge

So Eric what are you looking for? I checked out the link. The place does weddings. eeek... run away fast lol

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

Hi Eric

in that neck of the woods I've fished the Marten River and Red Cedar Lake. Both were good, although I preferred Red Cedar. We stayed at Red Cedar Lake Camp, if I was to go back there, I'd stay at one of the other facilities on that lake.

This link
http://getnorth.com/
shows you tons of places in that area

It's been my experience though that if you are prepared to drive that distance from Ottawa, you are in more remote territory and in to better fishing going straight north. Lots of outfitters on the quebec side listed in this link
https://www.pourvoiries.com/
this site is a little weird but fool around with it and you'll eventually find the map and figure out how to drill down in to the different outfitters.

hope that helps

Mick
scuro
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scuro »

smitty55 wrote:
scuro wrote:How about Lake Kipawa in Quebec directly due east, just as big and probably better fishing,
Yep, barely 20 minutes from the border to Kipawa. Hey Scuro do you still go up there anymore, I know you used to? For me it's been too long for my liking. Sure do miss my many trips. If anyone ever goes up there into the hub section I can help with Laker trolling runs and the odd Walleye spot too. Basically from the top of Corbeau Island down to Kipawa lodge So Eric what are you looking for? I checked out the link. The place does weddings. eeek... run away fast lol

Cheers
Yup, still fish it about every other year....must of made a dozen trips by now
...anything to bend the rod
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

smitty55 wrote:
Yep, barely 20 minutes from the border to Kipawa. Hey Scuro do you still go up there anymore, I know you used to? For me it's been too long for my liking. Sure do miss my many trips.

If anyone ever goes up there into the hub section I can help with Laker trolling runs and the odd Walleye spot too. Basically from the top of Corbeau Island down to Kipawa lodge

So Eric what are you looking for? I checked out the link. The place does weddings. eeek... run away fast lol

Cheers
Is that right eh? I'll run it by my buddy who's coordinating the trip.

We're going in early spring, so any trout (Opimika has Laker, Brookie and even Bows and Splake).

I'm already married, so I'm good lol

E
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Mick wrote:Hi Eric

in that neck of the woods I've fished the Marten River and Red Cedar Lake. Both were good, although I preferred Red Cedar. We stayed at Red Cedar Lake Camp, if I was to go back there, I'd stay at one of the other facilities on that lake.

This link
http://getnorth.com/
shows you tons of places in that area

It's been my experience though that if you are prepared to drive that distance from Ottawa, you are in more remote territory and in to better fishing going straight north. Lots of outfitters on the quebec side listed in this link
https://www.pourvoiries.com/
this site is a little weird but fool around with it and you'll eventually find the map and figure out how to drill down in to the different outfitters.

hope that helps

Mick

Thanks Mick, I'll take a look. I've been to Baskatong, huge body of water. We're bringing a canoe and some kayaks, so was hoping to stay in relatively small water.

E