Cameras?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Cameras?

Post by rodbreaker »

Anyone using an underwater camera to ice fish?
Can you actually see anything?
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Cameras?

Post by CBB »

I have one and it is nice when the water is clear but has the ability to take your mind off fishing and more watching the screen. If they ever come up with a wireless model that you can attach to your line I would upgrade but a good Sonar is more useful in my opinion and keeps you fishing
Dnbmike
Participant
Participant

Post by Dnbmike »

Like stated when the water clarity cooperates they can be neat . I've tried it at Shirleys Bay and wouldn't bother .we could barely see the lure and if there's a good current it can be tough to keep the camera from turning ..I have a 360 view now and it saves time setting up ..if I had to choose flasher or camera I would grab the flasher also
laker taker
Participant
Participant

Post by laker taker »

I have an old Cabelas black and white and it works good. Use it in the ice shack a lot when I am fishing for pike or wally. I can put it down at the bottom and watch both minnows or jigs and the holes are about 6 ft. apart or I can put it just under the ice and point it downward and still watch both lines. I would go for another one when this gives up as they are much better now. mine is about 10 years old now. I usually fish 10 to 15 ft of water and can see very well at that depth. Have also used it outside in the sunlight and could still see the screen. The fish can be quite entertaining at times.
Laker
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

When I know I'm camping in one spot for the day I'll usually setup the camera. it's incredible what you can learn from watching what's going on down there. Your jigging technique will 100% change once you watch your presenting down below.

In the video I put out last week it had some Perch footage. This was in 14 fow.

RJ
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

I had an old Aqua Vu that I loved using until I dropped the actual camera and smashed it...Like stated above it's great for when you're setting up on a spot for a length of time. I used to drill a bunch of holes & before fishing any I would scope them out with the camera. I learned lots about fish behavior using it, example Pike can suck in a big minnow & spit it out like a large mouth bass without tripping a flag. It also helped verify structure & the fish around it. I also learned like RJ mentioned in his video that Crappies seem to swim in the same areas of Large mouth, often accompanying them in pods. My kids loved the watching camera vs the vex they also caught more fish using it.
I fish mostly the St.Lawrence so clarity was a non issue. In my opinion overall use the Flasher wins but cameras sure are fun & you can learn more faster about fish behavior. I hope to pick up another camera some day.

PS Great video RJ
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I bought a used one and thought it was just a hassle setting it all up. But I got my money back one time when as I was playing with the camera I heard some noise beside me and all I saw was my rod and reel heading down the hole. I was all pee pee off until I looked at my camera screen and right in front off it was my shiny new reel. Put a big spoon on my other rod and was able to get it back along with the nice walleye that brought it down.

I haven't used mine in about 5 years. If I had a permanent shack I am sure that I would use it a lot more.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Wallyboss wrote:
I haven't used mine in about 5 years. If I had a permanent shack I am sure that I would use it a lot more.
What do you got? Want to sell it?
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Wouldn't feel right selling it. I think it's about ready to die.Keep losing the picture. it's 10-15 years old
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
rodbreaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by rodbreaker »

Well,i guess theres no point in buying one if i cant see anything lol.
RJ thats an awesome video
Dirty....mean....mighty unclean.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »