where's all the trout gone?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FISHIN'LANARK
Participant
Participant

where's all the trout gone?

Post by FISHIN'LANARK »

all these stocked lakes and streams and creeks, but no trout.....it seems to me that if you want to find these brook\brown\rainbow trout creeks you have to travel to southern or northern ontario. is there any creeks in the eastern part of ontario or is everyone just in a great big dream???
~SKOAL~
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: where's all the trout gone?

Post by otownyaker »

Lots around but most are fished hard.
Stocking list is a good place to start.
Attachments
Brookies
Brookies
IMG_20170207_170908_966.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 5739 times
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
topten14
Participant
Participant

Post by topten14 »

I would have thrown the bottom fish back
"You must lose a fly to catch a trout"
FISHIN'LANARK
Participant
Participant

Post by FISHIN'LANARK »

those are some beauty brookies :) one looks like it may be a splake? if you dont mind me asking were you out off the french line?
~SKOAL~
FISHIN'LANARK
Participant
Participant

Post by FISHIN'LANARK »

topten14 wrote:I would have thrown the bottom fish back
i would of too,but sometimes they just dont make it back in the hole. i mean whos going to return a dead fish back to its natural habitat.
~SKOAL~
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

Both small guys would not have made it.

And your close on location lol
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
FISHIN'LANARK
Participant
Participant

Post by FISHIN'LANARK »

otownyaker wrote:Both small guys would not have made it.

And your close on location lol
at that size they reminded me of every winter trip to green lake :lol: either way, good work :) ~skoal~
~SKOAL~
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

You will always have mediocre Brook trout fishing with year round fishing and liberal harvest.
FISHIN'LANARK
Participant
Participant

Post by FISHIN'LANARK »

ganman wrote:You will always have mediocre Brook trout fishing with year round fishing and liberal harvest.
i completely agree with you, but i cant help but wonder if there's bohemiths swimming around in the depths of some of these lakes.
once the breeders are spent at the hatchery, what do they do with them? do they release them for the last bit of their life or just let them die off in the hatchery tanks/ponds? there has to be some big mothers somewhere :?
~SKOAL~
swampsinger
Participant
Participant

Post by swampsinger »

ganman wrote:You will always have mediocre Brook trout fishing with year round fishing and liberal harvest.
I agree with this and I also believe you could do some serious damage to the smallmouth fishery in the area's rivers and streams if you started keeping limits.
FISHIN'LANARK
Participant
Participant

Post by FISHIN'LANARK »

swampsinger wrote: do some serious damage to the smallmouth fishery in the area's rivers and streams.
too many smallies....too little recipes.. :lol:

these pesky fall fish as well. if more people would use them as pike/musky/walleye bait it just may lower the population, but i doubt it. these pesky minnows are everywhere. i've heard that when the fall fish are around just move on due to their aggression, but i've also been told that when you find brookies in the creek/river/brook that chances are you'll come across fall fish too.
Last edited by FISHIN'LANARK on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~SKOAL~
BrookieJunkie
Participant
Participant

Post by BrookieJunkie »

LanarkLegends wrote: in the river when i get a small fall fish on the fly i put it onto my 9' spin rod with 2 bobbers and whip-er' out to the middle then go back to the fly fishing. in little time those two bobbers are under and 'bamm'.....big...big northern pike everytime :D
Fishing with 2 lines? I wonder where all the trout went...
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

LanarkLegends wrote:
i completely agree with you, but i cant help but wonder if there's bohemiths swimming around in the depths of some of these lakes.
Generally, the easier access there is, the less chance of fish growing to respectable size, but of course there is the odd exception. I know of a 3 1/2 lb Speck that came out of a small "local" lake that is well known and has fairly easy access with quad or sled or even not too far of a walk.

Speaking of quads, they are one of the main reasons that so many of these back lakes are fished much more now than in the past when the only option was to walk in or go by sled in the winter once there was enough snow. Plus some lakes just have the proper forage base that consistently produces larger fish. One in particular I can think of that I doubt you could even get into with a quad now used to produce beauty Specks over five pounds if you knew the right spot on the lake to fish. I have no doubt that they're still in that one.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Good Brook trout ponds do not have a minnow forage base. Minnows compete with small Brook trout for the same food. Brook trout do just fine on aquatic insects. That is why lakes in Algonquin Park do not allow baitfish. In New York they have outstanding Brook trout ponds that you can drive to but they do not allow winter fishing, no baitfish and reduced limits. When a lake gets baitfish in it they poison it then restock it.
FISHIN'LANARK
Participant
Participant

Post by FISHIN'LANARK »

let me ask you a question....have you ever caught brookies and pike in the same waters?
:?
Last edited by FISHIN'LANARK on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~SKOAL~