Fishing show in Ottawa?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Fishing show in Ottawa?

Post by lape0019 »

Hey Everyone,

I recently travelled to Toronto to check out the Spring Fishing and Boat show and I must say, it was nice to see booths from major players in the industry. Shimano, Daiwa and Megabass all had displays there showcasing their products. Even Carrot Stix and Quantum also had fair size booths. Along with showcasing their own products, quite a few vendors were there selling what they carried as well as running promotions for the weekend. I also took in a few seminars from Kevin Short, JP De rose, Gord Pyzer and two other show hosts that had more information to share. And the nice thing was the boats were all fishing boats!

The whole show essentially reminded me of the days in the Aberdeen pavilion where Paddletales and Le Baron would set up shop during the boats and sportman show.

I know about this time a post like this pops up about who is going or why it sucks but I want to be different.

My question is why do you feel we don't have shows like this anymore? I know why a lot of stores pulled out of these shows but am wondering more if there is a market for this type of show in our area. And I'm not talking about shows like the valley show. I'm talking about the next level where there are pro staff at every corner willing to give you a hand and a true deal is there to be had.

I can tell you I'll head back to Toronto for this show as it was a fun trip with a bunch of good guys. If I can say if we had something closer, it would be more worthwhile and I'd support the local area.'
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Re: Fishing show in Ottawa

Post by kevinv »

if there was one like that, I would be there. I remember spending more time in the other 2 buildings, then in the boat part in the Ottawa civic center.
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Fishing show in Ottawa

Post by CBB »

I used to have a booth at the Ottawa show when it was at Lansdown and for me it was cost in the end and just not the interest that I received in Montreal and Toronto. Now I was on the outfitter end but we always got together after the show and it seemed that it was a general consensus. As a consumer going to the show I will miss it but the cost of parking along with entrance fee really cuts into what you are going to spend at the show when you can just go to the store close by and see the items you are interested in. Seems the Ottawa show got away from a Sportsman show and more of an everything type show. Now this yr with the shows at the stores along with Paddletails having the get together with sales this weekend is going to fill that empty feeling from loosing the Ottawa Show.

I really enjoyed Orleans Boat World's boat display at the Shopping center last yr. They had a nice collection of boats well spread out and lots of time to really get a good look at the boat and talk to a representative with traffic around
WhitESOX
Participant
Participant

Re: Fishing show in Ottawa?

Post by WhitESOX »

My question is why do you feel we don't have shows like this anymore?
Due to the lack of return on the cost of setting up shop in one of these events, vendors take a pass? That's my guess.

But since you you asked about how I feel about it, I'll tell you. I freaking miss that kind of event.

I grew up in Toronto, and went yearly to the Sportsman's show at the exhibition grounds. Didn't sink in until I was an adult this was a family tradition. A rite of passage of sorts - my dad, my uncles, and my male cousins - but I felt quite a connection to it, like this event was helping me become a man. Could be the childish and likely inaccurate memories of a kid here, but I recall multiple entire days spent filling my head with positive memories. Yearly.

Casting competitions, stickers to add to the collection (or whatever loot bags the booth was dispensing), being shown the difference between different rods / reels & newest gear (minus the pressure to buy), fish tanks to gaze at, The latest & greatest tackle, pro seminars (those might have bored my 12 year old brain), ministry booth where they always seemed so nice (compared to when I'd meet them on patrol as an adult), old dudes showing us the latest 12-gauge (only dad used that vs my .410 :| ), latest decoys & blind technology, sketching out camo patterns to paint the boat with, and of course the power-sports - I even recall drooling over a three-wheeler!

Recent similar events locally here have left me disappointed. I get it, being a kid and remembering Christmas is different now in my 40s, but still - I bitched about being at the boat show last summer at EY center - it was cool with regard to the goods on display, but these events have a feel of despondence once a rep (pro?) realizes I'm either browsing or dreaming, which is me the entire time. The economics of being there must make for some fierce incentives to sell.
pro staff at every corner willing to give you a hand
I'm 100% behind supporting a local event that has pros (or knowledgeable factory reps) showing gear from whatever manufacturer chooses to participate. Given the size of Shimano, Daiwa, etc. they can - and should - be supplying events like this with staff and gear to show off to us! Not a chance I'd drop $1000 on a golden Penn Torque reel without actually playing with one. Anyone local sell that? Didn't think so. Maybe it would be so impressive someone that isn't me would slap a grr down for it. Otherwise, dear manufacturer: Set a booth up and show off your latest so we can make an informed decision and go purchase something locally from your distributor!
and a true deal is there to be had
This is one concept I don't see happening at an event like this. With the pressure to sell, and the cost of the booth's real estate, not happening. I only wish there was a 'fisherman's flea market' here.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

There’s simply no demand.

I remember heading out with my dad back in the early 90’s, and it was great.
Then again, back in the 90’s, I also remember ordering from the back of my favorite catalogue, and dial up internet.

What I’m saying is, social media, and technology, now compensates for the lack of shows, and is most likely one of many reasons why these events have slowly vanished over the past few years. I’m not even going to touch base on economy.

As for Toronto, I’m not sure the deals were justifiable after gas and food.
It’s a fun gathering amongst fellow anglers, but I can also shoot the $hit for free (with fried chicken) at our local shop, and have enough money left in my pockets to spare on a few deals.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

That's a good point Maverick, the amount of product information available online now compared to even 10 or 15 years ago has probably reduced the demand for shows like this.
kevinv
Participant
Participant

Post by kevinv »

I agree that the internet has a lot of information, but you cannot feel and play with the gear like you can at a show. Hell. In the 90's I remember thumbing threw every fishing magazine I could get my hands on, to see what new gear was out, and any reviews. But that did not take away from our trip to Ottawa to see the sportsman, cottage, and sportsman show.

It was also an outing for me and my girlfriend to get her re interested in fishing. And it worked, because she as my wife loves fishing.

I also get what you say about cost etc. Any event now you pay gas, parking, lunch, entrance fee, and snacks on the way home. Also the vendors get hit as well. And if they only get tire kickers all day, it does not pay to be there.

Also one big thing, is the ones who organize and put these event on, want to make part of the pie as well. And I get that, but I seen prices go from $10 in the 90's increase every year to enter the show.

Anyway I look at it. I miss it, and if there was one again, at a fair price, I would go
Maple
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Maple »

There's always this one.
http://www.fishhuntandride.ca
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I haven't been to the one in Toronto in 20 years... but in the 90's I made the trip every year and it was always worth it.
The Ottawa one was always great back then. But eventually the vendors seemed to expect instant profit from the show. It seemed every year there were fewer things 'fishing', and deals were more scarce.(sometimes charging more for things, trying to recoup costs) Most vendors said that it wasn't worth their time. And that is very possible because they had enough customers to stay viable coming to their shops without the extra exposure. But what they missed was the opportunity to increase their customer base and retain less loyal customers. I know that the last few years I have put a fair bit of money to the fishing shops that have been setting up at the "Carp" show. That was money that local shops could have gotten if they were there. And from what I have seen, the interest if there. The show they had in Richmond last year was a zoo. To me that's a lot of potential customers to pass up. Just my opinion. If another one starts up and gets some buy in from shops and local pro staffers and reps, then count me in to visit the show for a 15$ entrance fee... money well spent if everyone there is yakking about fishing all day. :D
Harcombe9923
Participant
Participant

Post by Harcombe9923 »

I wish there was a big show in Ottawa. I remember going to one when I was much younger but it was useless to me then since I wouldn't have been more than 10 at the time and was more interested in pokemon and ninja turtles than fishing. Now that I've taken a much more serious interest in the sport and techniques and the best ways to get the most out of the equipment I have.

The problem with using the internet tools (which are incredibly helpful anyway) is that you need to buy a new rod and reel and line every week in order to keep up with what they're telling you. Sorry but I can't afford to buy a frog rod, jig rod, cranking rod, trolling rod, flipping rod, worm rod, pitching rod,lightning rod and a divining stick. But with the rods that I have a pro can give me advice and help me maximize my catch with them which is where a trade show is perfect. Also getting to handle the gear would be great.

I'm glad this thread popped up because I wouldn't have even thought to take a trip down to Toronto for one of these I just hoped there would be something in the area at some point.
If your rod ain't bending you're just pretending.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Guys,

Don't get me wrong, the in store doo's at Paddletales are great and I have talked about why Ed doesn't go to these shows anymore with him. I get it from his standpoint. Him and Sandy do an amazing job at putting together good deals with excellent pro staff. I'd just love to see this type event with other vendors and companies under one large roof!

Maple, I think I'll have to take a look at that show on the April 1st. I stopped going to the Carp show a while ago. I haven't been since it moved to Richmond but I wasn't expecting more than what was held at Carp.

I'm hoping to hear from some other people about this but it's nice to hear I'm not the only one who misses this type of show.
Last edited by lape0019 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

TheMaverick wrote:There’s simply no demand.
BINGO.

Ye we all loved walking around the Carp show in its heyday but how much money really went thru the tills at the show? I can tell you at the end, NOT MUCH. Online sales and store loyalty (which is great!) pretty much killed it. The upfront cost for a store to pack all their stuff up is immense. Call it $4000 for a weekend with staff, booth, etc. You're going to be looking at needing to do minimum of $12,000 in biz just to cover costs. It doesn't take too many shows not covering costs to make ya say no more.

Toronto works, for now. They also draw on 3 times the population we do.

Richmond will be pretty much a Gun Show from now on I'm told. JB's nor Stacy will be there at this point.

The Fish, Hunt, Ride Show is teamed in with the Outdoors Show. Could be interesting. We may have a booth there.

RJ
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

lape0019 wrote:Guys,

Don't get me wrong, the in store doo's at Paddletales are great and I have talk about why Ed doesn't go to these shows anymore with him. I get it from his standpoint. Him and Sandy do an amazing job at putting together good deals with excellent pro staff. I'd just love to see this type of this with other vendors and companies under a large roof!
There’s no comparison to be made, the Paddletales comments are enlightenment as to driving down to the Toronto show for deals.

Again, social media is a great pathway, I’ve seen multiple videos online, and lots of advertisement from numerous booths via FB, Instagram, and from what I’ve seen, the prices weren’t justifiable.

With that being said, if an event/show of grand stature was to be held in the capital, would I attend?
Of course I would, but the reality is, the market just isn’t there.

Harcombe9923 wrote:
The problem with using the internet tools (which are incredibly helpful anyway) is that you need to buy a new rod and reel and line every week in order to keep up with what they're telling you. Sorry but I can't afford to buy a frog rod, jig rod, cranking rod, trolling rod, flipping rod, worm rod, pitching rod,lightning rod and a divining stick. But with the rods that I have a pro can give me advice and help me maximize my catch with them which is where a trade show is perfect. Also getting to handle the gear would be great.
I’m not sure I follow your train of thoughts.
Like anything, companies will advertise, they want you to buy their product.
Aren’t “pro-staffers” a reinforcing staple for those said companies?
He will obviously help you, but the objective is sales.
I’ve seen horrible pro-staffers work these shows, when you butcher your own product name, kinda makes you wonder how knowledgeable they really are.
banjo wrote:But eventually the vendors seemed to expect instant profit from the show. It seemed every year there were fewer things 'fishing', and deals were more scarce.(sometimes charging more for things, trying to recoup costs) Most vendors said that it wasn't worth their time. And that is very possible because they had enough customers to stay viable coming to their shops without the extra exposure. But what they missed was the opportunity to increase their customer base and retain less loyal customers.
At what cost, or should I say loss, would you be willing to go for exposure?
The new trend for companies is definitely via social media, it’s advertising/marketing at little to no cost if done properly.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

x3 on What RJ and Mav Said.

I look forward to the bigger event Paddletales puts on, boats outside and nice weather..
I missed last years event.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Just spent two days in the Pirate Cove Marina booth at the Boat Show. WOW. Busiest I've seen the "show" in years and LOTS of new Lund owners. SO great to see.

RJ