Soggy Shirleys Bay and at last a Ling!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Soggy Shirleys Bay and at last a Ling!

Post by Peron »

Was out on Shirley's Bay Friday evening. Slick and wet. The shacks are coming down fast. Any open holes are getting pretty big but still a lot of Ice. There was only myself and one other group fishing and someone dismantling a shack in the distance.

I should be writing all of the above in three weeks but this has been a weird winter.

Now for the good part. I heard activity over at the other group and a sloshed over to see what was up. Nice big Ling. As I was admiring the fish we noticed the telltale blinking of scarkners bite minder in the distance so I did the slip, sliding , sloshing sprint back to my lines.

At last! My very first Ling. I know a lot of people do not like them but I think they are an awesome looking fish. Worth the effort. I hope I have a couple more chances this season! Now I want a big one.

Rod
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Soggy Shirleys Bay and at last a Ling!

Post by otownyaker »

The "other groups" Ling . My first of the year. And cough thanks to the bite minder as well. As I was not paying attn

Nick etk meet you out there hopefully we will have a few more weeks of hard water. Even though j would live to get the yak out on some soft water
Attachments
IMG_2377.jpg
IMG_2377.jpg (182.94 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Congrats on your first Ling. I have plans to check out my Ling spot this week.

RJ
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Makes me smile to read about first ling AND about using the BiteMinder!

Rod - was it big enough to keep?
CBB
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by CBB »

Congrats on the Ling. Was going to try and get in there to try for one but don't think it is going to happen before full melt down.
Peron
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Peron »

scarkner wrote:Makes me smile to read about first ling AND about using the BiteMinder!

Rod - was it big enough to keep?
Just at the edge of eating size but I just couldn't bring myself to eat him being my first ling! Light hookset so he was off to grow huge.

After all the positive reviews on the taste next one will hit the pan! This one would have been more snack size... Need to research the ling filet thing as well.

Actually, if their was ever a class for filet skills I would sign up.

Rod
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

You don't get much meat off them, so they do need to be pretty big to be worth cleaning.